PDA

View Full Version : Runs naff in wet weather

Southie
01-06-10, 12:47 PM
Well my C16xe has been running fine for ages and even this weekend not a problem, also on the way into work this morning still not a problem but went out at lunch time (in the pisssing rain) and its like it keeps firing on and off on 3. :roll:

Only things I can think of is my HT leads are arching out or I've a air leak maybe. I've got new leads on and plugs are also fine and gapped properly, so any one got anymore suggestions would be great.

Cheers
David

EDIT: No management light is coming on to indicate a sensor fault.

AlexW
01-06-10, 12:49 PM
HT leads or coilpack.

Even water in a plug, corsa ran crap when i drove it through a flood lol

GRUNT 16V
01-06-10, 12:50 PM
the pipe that comes of the throtle body is very comon at splitting (if the inlet is std that is) ??

AlexW
01-06-10, 12:50 PM
Hes got a manzel grunt.

Sloth
01-06-10, 12:56 PM
get some damp start or wd40 and spray everything. when it runs ok youve found the fault. water dispalcement spray is good too...

Southie
01-06-10, 12:58 PM
As AW says, I've got a Mantzel Grunt.

I could try another coilpack as I've got a couple of spare kicking about. Would a dodgy earth maybe effect it, saying that I've got 5 extra earths on the damn thing so it could be quite possible lol

Southie
01-06-10, 12:59 PM
Sloth, erm Rob I spray plenty of WD around my car so much infact I get gassed in the car whilst driving (free buzz lol) even the rear arches get blasted every week to hold the rot a little longer lol

Sloth
01-06-10, 01:04 PM
/\ i Lol'd.....

Southie
02-06-10, 03:14 PM
Well today it's nice and sunny and the car run's normal again. :roll:

Only thing I can now think of is moisture is getting in via my airfilter if it's been peeing it down, all the engine bay is always very dry and yesterday when I checked there was no damp even on the coil and leads.

Sloth
02-06-10, 03:17 PM
any bare wiring where it goes into a plug?

Southie
02-06-10, 03:23 PM
any bare wiring where it goes into a plug?
Not what I can see, I've insulated all the wires a couple of weeks ago because the bay looked untidy.

TBH I'm use to this with running an old coil so long when I had the bikecarbed engine, very similar symptoms in how it feels flat then picks up.

Southie
02-06-10, 07:12 PM
No one else any ideas then???

Dayle_
02-06-10, 11:04 PM
Im having similar problem as this too with the same engine. Whats the car like when its driving? Mine seems to just do it when idleing but drives ok.

Nova_Tek
02-06-10, 11:13 PM
We once went over a huge puddle quite awkawardly in my dads Cav (was a country lane very dark) It splashed water up into the bay and soaked a lot of the wiring at the back of the block as well as most of the other wiring. The car ran absolutley sh*t. We just about made it home having to splutter to a service station about 5 times and a jump start on the way. Once the water dried it was fine.

Sounds like something doesn't like the dampness and is being affected. What about spraying some of that wet/damp start you get in a can. I'd also spray the ignition bits systematically and try the car. That way you'll be able to locate the cause easier than just emptying a can of WD into the engine bay all at once and everywhere.

AlexW
03-06-10, 12:41 AM
ICV? Coincidence that it started when wet?

Started mine today, ran like crap, then just died, so kicked it.

Fit a 1.2

Plug
03-06-10, 08:21 AM
Mine ran like it was on 3 my problem was a split vacum hose.

Southie
02-07-10, 11:25 AM
Just an update to this lol

Well mine turned out to be the headgasket, it blew between 2 and 3 about an inch :eek:

Anyway 3 days later and it was back on the road, it's pulling miles better so I suspect it'd been on it's way out for a bit.

Nova_Tek
02-07-10, 11:59 AM
Oh well hard luck but a new HG will see you through for a good few years.

Southie
02-07-10, 12:03 PM
Oh well hard luck but a new HG will see you through for a good few years. Luckly this time I got a decent place to fit it so it should be fine. The other one was only one 8 months :roll: "so called mate" ripped me off big time with crap parts, odd bolts and 2 inlet bolts were missing :mad:

Oh well such is life at least it feels much tighter and smoother. :thumb:

Nova_Tek
02-07-10, 12:07 PM
Luckly this time I got a decent place to fit it so it should be fine. The other one was only one 8 months :roll: "so called mate" ripped me off big time with crap parts, odd bolts and 2 inlet bolts were missing :mad:

Oh well such is life at least it feels much tighter and smoother. :thumb:

A mate!?! :wtf:

At least it's sorted mate and you've got more of the OE horses back :) Always nice when the engine feels fresh. Did it need any other bits or just the HG?

Southie
02-07-10, 01:29 PM
Just the headgasket needed doing but I got new inlet and exhaust bolts for it and fitted a new cambelt kit and tensioner as well.

Just come back off my lunch though and my exhaust has snapped :cry::cry::cry: It's on the flange joining from the middle section to manifold, snapped clean off. Sounds like a fecking tractor now lol

Nova_Tek
02-07-10, 01:30 PM
lol agricultural Nova.

Southie
02-07-10, 01:31 PM
It's time to harvest, I mean invest in a new exhaust i think lol