PDA

View Full Version : rolling arches

novamark
02-05-03, 12:59 PM
if u fold them up does it distort the arches? anyone got any tips for doin it? my fifteens rub. cheers. m

Nova-Boy
02-05-03, 01:00 PM
If you roll them up it shouldn't distort your arches. Cutting them with tin snips on the other hand does!! And i have seen a couple of those arround!!

novamark
02-05-03, 01:02 PM
so i just bang them round with a hammer and dolly?

Nova-Boy
02-05-03, 01:06 PM
do it with small taps and equally. if you tw*t one part of it and not the other the arch will distort obviously.

Take the wheel off and get them started. Then put the wheel back on and to get a nice even roll put a brush handle or crow bar under the arch between the wheel and roll backwards and forwards as someone bounces the car!

novamark
02-05-03, 01:09 PM
u put the crow bar in asif its like flat, longways along the arch yeah?

Nova-Boy
02-05-03, 01:15 PM
Poke the crow bar through the gap between you wheel and the arch (unless its lowered??) as in the direction of the axle, not longways. Roll it left and right as someone is bouncing on the car. Rolling from the back to the front of your arch then to tha back etc etc.

Imitating what a real arch roller would do! :lol:

novamark
02-05-03, 01:18 PM
i get u, it mite b pretty hard to do tho, it lowered 60. i'll jus tap em then do what u said with my 14s back on. cheers mate. nice one.

?Marty?
03-05-03, 04:04 AM
If there's any rust at all (evenif it's under the syrface and can't be seen) it'll crack when you attempt to roll them.

And bodyshops and etc use a special tool to do this without distorting the arch (it fits to the hub, then works on a lever/pulley/cog system to apply pressure on the arch, and can be rotated fron side to side so that pressure is evenly balanced through the rotation arc/curve). Unless you leave you car at a 'back-street garage', where they'll use a hammer and a plank of wood.

I especially don't recommend any of the methods suggested above on the rear arch. It'd be better to grind/cut the lip back to the weld (not past it, as it'll need re-welding and a re-spray) and then seal the bare metal with paint. Have a go at rolling on the front one if you must, the metal's easier to work with.

ade
03-05-03, 10:11 AM
I agree. Youj could try cutting slits in the front arch lip ever 2" with a hack saw to about 2-3mm from the edge of the lip, then gently just push these up with yer fingers. then seal the whole area with hamemrite and fill all gaps with sealer.

I did this last year and my arches aint distorted and are solid. Remember if you dont cut them, and just hammer it back, it will distort as the metal is on a curve. You need to break the curve un the lip - lots of small even cust in the lip will do this.

Ade

novamark
03-05-03, 10:25 AM
thanks alot guys, v.helpful.