PDA

View Full Version : best c20xe

fastcar1cars
31-05-10, 01:25 PM
hi all
looking for a c20xe engine!! now which would be the best one to source? from which car ect!!
cheers

let_nova
31-05-10, 01:26 PM
any thats a good runner!

Damo
31-05-10, 01:31 PM
I would say one of the earlier ones as they have forged internals as the later ones hav cast items but as has been said any thats a good runner tbh.

djbrowney
31-05-10, 01:37 PM
the all much of a much imo they all have pro and cons !!!

let_nova
31-05-10, 01:38 PM
much of a much?

Jack
31-05-10, 01:42 PM
^ figure of speech.

Just find one thats a decent runner at a good price. Service history IMO isn't essential as when you put it in you'll be doing belt, plugs, oil, water pump etc.

[edit] Best option, if you have the time/space, is to buy an engine IN a car - that way you can see how it drives. Plus you could make some cash back stripping the car.

MattBrown
31-05-10, 01:45 PM
Only way to get a good one, is to know the engine, or know the people that removed it etc.

If its been in a converted car, it will have been hammered, as thats what people build them for.

Also, all XE engines have 78, or 88k on them, its the rules for them to all have this millage lol

Andy
31-05-10, 02:05 PM
Only way to get a good one, is to know the engine, or know the people that removed it etc.

If its been in a converted car, it will have been hammered, as thats what people build them for.

Also, all XE engines have 78, or 88k on them, its the rules for them to all have this millage lol
That post is utter bullshag
So if a Vauxhall mechanic removed a seized Xe its guaranteed a good un'?-or ya mate "dave dropped it so its safe bruv"
Doesnt matter what car its from it will have been hammered,just because its been hammered doesnt mean it cant be good,aslong as it has regular maintenance it should be fine
Most are well over 100k now

MattBrown
31-05-10, 02:10 PM
That post is utter bullshag
So if a Vauxhall mechanic removed a seized Xe its guaranteed a good un'?
Doesnt matter what car its from it will have been hammered,just because its been hammered doesnt mean it cant be good,aslong as it has regular maintenance it should be fine
Most are well over 100k now

Yes it is, hence I wrote it.

How can you say most are over 100k? IS this some dvla data we are not allowed to see?

If you read it again, thoroughly, you will see it says most are advertised with 88k, seemingly egay, they all have 88k on them.

Why would I let another mechanic touch my car? I only trust myself.

100k of abuse, or 100k of an old lady owner? A mechanical part will fail earlier to to abuse.

Andy
31-05-10, 02:15 PM

How can you say most are over 100k? IS this some dvla data we are not allowed to see? Average 12k a year=Last XE in 95 Do the math;)

If you read it again, thoroughly, you will see it says most are advertised with 88k, seemingly egay, they all have 88k on them.Not noticed that before:confused:

Why would I let another mechanic touch my car? I only trust myself.:thumb:

100k of abuse, or 100k of an old lady owner? A mechanical part will fail earlier to to abuseIf its been regurlarly maintained-ie regular oil changes and belts etc etc it should be ok.Or....a 100k Lady owner who drives it within a second of turning the key before the oil gets round,never gets it serviced till things are fukked???? I know which i would prefer;)
:thumb:

craig green
31-05-10, 02:17 PM
I prefer the earlier non-lambda versions from Astra GTE's, early ones.
As said above though, mileage certainly wont be in the favour of these. However that said, the coil-pack versions run better in hot conditions/cone filtered, due to the inlet air temp sensors.

All much of a muchness though. A dirty looking engine without a colour coded rocker & belt cover is probably a safer bet. lol

MattBrown
31-05-10, 02:18 PM
Personal choice then.

I know that 90% of them are near 120kish

But look around you, i believe mine has done 88k maybe correct, maybe not.

I would rather one that hasnt been put into a conversion car.

Benn
31-05-10, 02:21 PM
Buy one you can hear running and that you know had been serviced and looked after. But has had some ragging. As it frees everything up.

Remember.
Mileage means nothing if its been looked after and serviced.

Damo
31-05-10, 02:27 PM
Buy one you can hear running and that you know had been serviced and looked after. But has had some ragging. As it frees everything up.

Remember.
Mileage means nothing if its been looked after and serviced.

Exactly i bought mine and knew nothing about it atall it came from a corsa with a few receipts from vaux for cambelt kit oil/filters leads etc unknown mileage too but it runs sweet as anut an use no oil whatsoever.:thumb:

Iain
31-05-10, 02:32 PM
Is it earlier ones that have forged pistons instead of cast and a lighter crankshaft? Which ones have flat instead of pot flywheels, as isn't the flat type better?

Benn
31-05-10, 02:34 PM
Yes a flat flywheel is better.

Damo
31-05-10, 02:34 PM
Is it earlier ones that have forged pistons instead of cast and a lighter crankshaft? Which ones have flat instead of pot flywheels, as isn't the flat type better?

Its the early ones which have the forged pistons and lighter crank mate and the flat fly but apparently the later blocks are better :confused: .

djbrowney
31-05-10, 02:35 PM
Personal choice then.

when will you stop chatting s h i t, every engine has had a differnt life so is utter bull**** !!!

mk1nova_rich
31-05-10, 03:03 PM

Also, all XE engines have 78, or 88k on them, its the rules for them to all have this millagelol

Personal choice then.

:confused:

fastcar1cars
31-05-10, 03:48 PM
Ok didnt know if one out of a cav gsi would be better that one out say a calibre?
Everyone stop bitchin! Pmsl

Benn
31-05-10, 03:50 PM
One from a cav or Calibra will be the same. Bar early and late.

MattBrown
31-05-10, 03:59 PM
I have put a dispac, and an early GTE type in cars.

I prefered doing the dispac.

So easy, and it looks neater in the bay than a coil IMHO

blue_peg_16v
31-05-10, 04:04 PM

How can you say most are over 100k? IS this some dvla data we are not allowed to see?

If you read it again, thoroughly, you will see it says most are advertised with 88k, seemingly egay, they all have 88k on them.

Why would I let another mechanic touch my car? I only trust myself.

100k of abuse, or 100k of an old lady owner? A mechanical part will fail earlier to to abuse.

100k of old lady on a modern engine would kill it, as new style piston rings gunk up

my dad bought a 1 lady owner from new 03 micra that had done 43k the engine had to have a full rebuild due to this the rest of the engine was like new the rings fecked

the bloke who rebuilt it even said when we told him the proplem its one owner isnt it.

apparently due to never having a bit of abuse carbon builds up on the rings and causes oil to pass so milage aint the be all and end all ive had a v6 vectra that had done 190k before i got shot of it and it still pulled like a train

Benn
31-05-10, 04:11 PM
Engines loser up and get nice and hot with burns off the bad stuff^ when given some abuse.

You abuse it then service it, keeps it going for ever.

blue_peg_16v
31-05-10, 04:13 PM
my let should be fine for years then lol

Lee H
31-05-10, 04:21 PM
The best XE out of all the ones i've owned is my current one and that has the highest mileage on.

I prefer the dispack versions as seem to have a better idle when hot and less sensor problems that the early ones.

jpga
31-05-10, 04:31 PM
logic.... if you can source the engine from a reliable source or one that puts you at ease about the engines milage,history,condition and maybe a clue to what life it has left in it you will??

and 90% have 100k on ? where do you get your facts from? i know for a fact id buy an engine with 100k on thats been serviced and maintained to a good standard than one with 78k on off ebay that h claims is a mint runner doesent tap doesent smoke..........

Graeme
31-05-10, 04:33 PM
I'd have to agree with Lee I converted my last one from dizzy to coilpack and it was like a totally different car, so much smoother and refined and didn't 'hunt' in slow moving traffic

Stuart
31-05-10, 08:39 PM
or find an engine that isnt 15 years old in the 'best' case lol

General Baxter
31-05-10, 08:53 PM
x20xev ;)

Sloth
31-05-10, 09:06 PM
/\ what he said. i was told by chip that the xev has the strongest block, and the early xe the best internals, and the dispak the best wiring setup.

i prefer the dispaks due to ease of fit etc, but my very early (april 88) dizzy was a lovely engine. revved better imho.

Bubba
01-06-10, 07:10 AM
just find a corsa xe. they dont deserve xe's. rebuild it. save a cav gsi ;)

fastcar1cars
01-06-10, 01:17 PM
yeah destroy corsas and save cavs! Decent cavs are a rare beast these days! Lol!

Bubba
01-06-10, 05:13 PM
theres a white gsi breaking on ebay :( robbed for the engine. its even on 17" Venoms :(

General Baxter
01-06-10, 05:15 PM
its even on 17" Venoms :(

oh dear lord, help us all lol