PDA

View Full Version : 4speed to 5speed conversion

CoupeLET
31-05-10, 08:39 AM
As above whats needed to do this on a 1.0? :)

mk1nova_rich
31-05-10, 08:45 AM
a 5 speed F10 gearbox then the gearlever needs modifying. Remove the lever from the car and cut off the plastic lump (aluminium inside) from the right hand side. A hacksaw will have this off in no time, then refit the lever to the car and it will be able to move far enough over to the right to select 5th

John
31-05-10, 09:04 AM
a 5 speed F10 gearbox then the gearlever needs modifying. Remove the lever from the car and cut off the plastic lump (aluminium inside) from the right hand side. A hacksaw will have this off in no time, then refit the lever to the car and it will be able to move far enough over to the right to select 5th

Incorrect!

The 1.0 is ohv and as such the bell housing bolt pattern is different. therefore the only gearbox that'll fit is the 1.0 f10 item. However, if you're that desparate for a 5th gear, the innards from a 5 speed f10 will fit, but it's a complete strip and swap following stuarts guide.
Why do you ned 5th though, the ratios are quite good and as such I used to run a 1.0 for a 25mile commute everyday and never found the need for a 5th gear.

mk1nova_rich
31-05-10, 09:05 AM
i always forget lol, cheers

CoupeLET
31-05-10, 09:57 AM
Well ive just got a new job and i'll be using it for an 80mile commute every day so want it for economy reasons really, so is it a case of getting an f10 5speed box and it will fit straight on?

Nova_Tek
31-05-10, 10:08 AM
From my experiences, and my Nova used to be a 1.2 Carb 4 speed, in terms of economy, the 4 speed is good as the ratios are wide.

I used to get 42 - 44mpg in town and 46+ on the motorway so in a 1 litre you should easily see that. If you'll be traveling on the motorway then I can see where you're coming from. The 5th gear will help to knock down a bit of engine noise :)

John
31-05-10, 10:10 AM
Well ive just got a new job and i'll be using it for an 80mile commute every day so want it for economy reasons really, so is it a case of getting an f10 5speed box and it will fit straight on?

No!

You'll need to swap the internals from a 5 speed box into your casing. the ohv bolt pattern is different.

John
31-05-10, 10:13 AM
From my experiences, and my Nova used to be a 1.2 Carb 4 speed, in terms of economy, the 4 speed is good as the ratios are wide.

I used to get 42 - 44mpg in town and 46+ on the motorway so in a 1 litre you should easily see that. If you'll be traveling on the motorway then I can see where you're coming from. The 5th gear will help to knock down a bit of engine noise :)

I also used mine on the motorway everday, never felt the need for a 5th tbf.

Nova_Tek
31-05-10, 10:15 AM
You would if your sportex back box loved to 'woaaahhhh' at the same speed as 70mph lol

Other than that it didn't bother me at all, and accelerating in 4th was actually very responsive, all things conisdered.

General Baxter
31-05-10, 10:15 AM
would it have enough power to use the 5th lol

John
31-05-10, 10:22 AM
You would if your sportex back box loved to 'woaaahhhh' at the same speed as 70mph lol

Other than that it didn't bother me at all, and accelerating in 4th was actually very responsive, all things conisdered.

Sportex backbox on a 1.0 = pointless lol

CoupeLET
31-05-10, 10:25 AM
we'll see what its like first then, hopefully your all right and it will be ok with a 4speed on ;)

Nova_Tek
31-05-10, 10:34 AM
Sportex backbox on a 1.0 = pointless lol

mine was a 1.2 :p

we'll see what its like first then, hopefully your all right and it will be ok with a 4speed on ;)

Try it out first fella, economy will be very good if you drive how you're meant to. If you exhaust system is fine then there womt be much engine noise either. If it really needs the 5th gear then at least you'll know that you've tried it with 4 and you can justify it.

mowgli
31-05-10, 11:37 AM
i am running wr ratio 5speed gears with my e16se & you need to be well over 60 before you need to use top, so for motorway cruising a 1.0 will be way overgeared with a 5th fitted.

Connor
31-05-10, 11:48 AM
4 speed f10s are fine,
I have been using mine (before i sold it last week)
for the 200 mile commute to uni no probs
Mine was a 1.2, sits at 70 all day long
( Although My new 1.2 5 speed f10 does sit at 70 alot better imo)