PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump possition

jackhines15
30-05-10, 04:54 PM
any one know where would be best to mount the fuel pump on my nova when i do my c20xe convertion? there doesnt deem to be enough room by the tank which is where it should idealy be.
any ideas?

Nova_Tek
30-05-10, 05:09 PM
Looking at the rear bumper, to the right hand side rear wheel, behind the tow eye is where the external pump is normally situated.

jackhines15
31-05-10, 10:21 AM
yer thats where i though ti could mount it but looking there is no room. the origional carb lift pimp was situated in the engine bay. maybe i will hve to mount it here.

Nova_Tek
31-05-10, 10:37 AM
You could fit it in the bay but ideally the pump must be as close as poss to the tank. A few people I know have the pump next to the spare wheel well, there is room for it there.

Lee H
31-05-10, 10:42 AM
You need an injection tank as well really. I wouldn't bother running it using a carb tank as there is no swirl pot so you will get fuel starvation.

Andy
31-05-10, 10:44 AM
You need an injection tank as well really. I wouldn't bother running it using a carb tank as there is no swirl pot so you will get fuel starvation.
He's right,trust me;)
Happened to me on sharp bends when driving enthusiastic.

Mike
31-05-10, 11:23 AM
There is actually a M10 (IIRC) threaded nut welded on one of the corners on Nova tanks, make up a simple bracket & bolt the pump/bracket assembly onto the tank itself ;)

Nova_Tek
31-05-10, 11:28 AM
Wouldn't that cause some vibration going through the tank and posibly being felt in the car?

mowgli
31-05-10, 11:29 AM
if you get a gte/gsi pump setup, you can get new captive nuts for the 2 funny shaped holes in the rh rear chassis leg.. it all fits there properly.

or get an spi tank with an astra 3 mpi pump. tidy & probably easier to find.

mowgli
31-05-10, 11:30 AM
Wouldn't that cause some vibration going through the tank and posibly being felt in the car?

just go to an exhaust place & get some mini exhaust 'bobbins' rubber mounts.

Mike
31-05-10, 11:33 AM

Nope, not if the tank is fitted correctly.

To remove any fuel slosh/pump vibration through a standard Nova tank.... remove tank, look in tank arch & youll see you 2 strips of very thing useless foamy rubbery stuff. Remove these, refit 1" wide by approx 13" long self adehesive foam tape in same position of OE crap (foam tape is about 10mm thick!) refit tank (youll properly struggle due to foam tape in there but youll get there) plumb tank in, bolt on pump. Job for Dave.

Or as Mowgli quite rightly says, AVM's (Anti Vibration Mounts).

Mike
31-05-10, 11:35 AM
On another note, I used to use a XE pump on my first E16 motor, an then used an SEH pump on the second & both worked fine (both were external, blue bodied pump from eBay for about £12 brand new)

jackhines15
31-05-10, 05:56 PM
right s there are a few options! goin to keep the carb tank as i have already made my own swirl pot. :)
thanks for the help.

napalm_27
31-05-10, 06:04 PM
mine is bolted to the right hand side by the wheel well and sits there nicely