PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Drive fitment into gearbox... X16 swap.

milko96
30-05-10, 10:29 AM
Ok, so finishing off my X16XE swap and to fit the VSS I've used my speedo drive out my 1l 4spd box as the corsa box has an electronic pickup, which I cant use....

Trouble is the speedo drive wont fit into the Corsa box... is there something I need to do to get it to go in?

milko96
30-05-10, 12:30 PM
Had the bottom plate off and the Corsa box has a hall sender setup in it for the electronic speed sensor, thats why the stock pickup wont go in!

Anyone come across this before, I've not seen it mentioned on any swap threads...

comptoncj
30-05-10, 12:34 PM
I have heard about this before someone i know swapped a gearbox in his corsa gsi for one out of a sport and he had the idea of just swapping the drives over but he couldnt, so he ended up having to buy another box with a cable drive. But then also I have heard you can swap the electronic drive out of an f13 into a mechanical drive f16, havnt tried it though.

Plug
30-05-10, 12:43 PM
1.2 spi speedo cable has a electronic pickup and and cable for the clocks :thumb:

milko96
30-05-10, 01:19 PM
1.2 spi speedo cable has a electronic pickup and and cable for the clocks :thumb:

I have the 1.2 pickup, it uses a cog which is driven off the diff but the corsa box has no teeth on that cog, jus a metal ring for the hall sender...

AlexW
30-05-10, 04:13 PM
You can take the diff out and fit a ring or just change the whole box.

Maybe i need to add into that guide that you need a early/nova box.

milko96
30-05-10, 05:15 PM
You can take the diff out and fit a ring or just change the whole box.

Maybe i need to add into that guide that you need a early/nova box.

I'd say so as its a fairly major thing! Never read anywhere on any site that you cant use the box that comes with the engine!

So what are my options on the box front... is my current box f15 or f16?

Or what diffs could I fit as this would be easier?

Are all the diffs interchangable?

AlexW
30-05-10, 07:43 PM
Your box will be F15, smallblock, F16 is bigblock.
You can have any F13/F15 diff iirc.

Easier to just get the ring gear from another box and swap it onto your diff, as if you changed the diff, unless you got one with the same final drive, you would have to change another cog, more effort than needed.

The guide, as i say in the first long, its a rough guide, i couldnt think of everything, even more so the things i had nothing to do with.

milko96
31-05-10, 04:20 PM
Ok cool.

Do I need a press to get the ring gear on?

milko96
03-06-10, 08:49 PM
Anyone?

Also anyone know what the Final drive ratio is on a 1.6 Corsa Sport and a Nova GSi?

AlexW
03-06-10, 09:03 PM
No idea about the ring gear, never had to funk about with it before.

Final drive, depends.

milko96
03-06-10, 09:10 PM
If I swap the complete diff whats the other cog I need to change and is it poss to do the swap via the bottom diff plate?

Beginning to think I should jus fit a complete new box.... :(

AlexW
04-06-10, 12:17 AM
TBH, it may be easier if you dont know gearboxes too well (Like me!) But there is a guide in the artical section about changing final drive.

milko96
04-06-10, 08:39 AM
TBH, it may be easier if you dont know gearboxes too well (Like me!) But there is a guide in the artical section about changing final drive.

Yeah I dont, but the guy that did my swap is pretty handy, aslong as I can give him all the info he needs, so I'll have a read of it...

Found out X16 has 3.74 FD and I can get a Nova GSi box which has same FD according to this link...

http://slindborg.hostei.com/gears/index.php

Lots of usefull info on there.... :thumb:

Sloth
04-06-10, 09:17 AM
stu's page. /\

milko, upullit charge £40 for a box removed. they have a corsa sri atm with an f13/5 that should be the close ratio box. or try the scrappy in bev. i had a f10/5 sat here you coulda had, binned it last week. :(

AlexW
04-06-10, 01:58 PM
F10 would be too much effort to fit to a X16 anyway.

The final drives arnt always right, as it depends what vauxhall picked out of the parts bin that day.

milko96
04-06-10, 10:40 PM
I've picked a GSi box up off W88rdy so we'll see how I get on.