PDA

View Full Version : Bloody sump again!

novalovingned
29-05-10, 06:39 PM
Ive changed the gaskets again but still it pisses out of the top gasket thats between the baffle plate and the block. The leak is on round the back of the block. Really am about to go mad! Torque setting are all bang on and yet it still gushes out.

Has anyone else had problems getting the sump to seal? Anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking that the sump would be warped, but then why would it be. Think im going to take the baffle plate out and just run one gasket. See if that helps?

let_nova
29-05-10, 06:43 PM
warped sump..

Jon_nova1
29-05-10, 06:49 PM
If your taking the sump of anyway...see if its warped?

novalovingned
29-05-10, 07:11 PM
If your taking the sump of anyway...see if its warped?

How do i do that lol Engineers ruler or table at a quess?

Jon_nova1
29-05-10, 07:21 PM
I'd probably put it on a flat table or similar and see if its got a rock to it and see if theres any uneven light going through the gap, there isn't too much you can do to check as it'd be very difficult to get the sump to sit even and check

George g
29-05-10, 07:22 PM
if you have a sheet of glass spare, then you cna check it against that. place it flat on the surface and look at it from the side. or a ne engineers rule is a good bet.

why dont you use some silicone sealant, like the loctite stuff. its miles better than a solid gasket as it will cater for a warped sump. just takes a day or two to set enough to use.

auzzy-b
30-05-10, 03:10 PM
Mabye it's your baffle Plate that's warped? Why not try a bonded gasket..

novalovingned
30-05-10, 03:13 PM
Mabye it's your baffle Plate that's warped? Why not try a bonded gasket..

Yeah i was also thinking the baffle plate could be warped. Going to take it all apart again to see whats straight and whats not. Im also going to ditch the baffle plate.

Rich
30-05-10, 10:57 PM
im assuming its a c20xe, use a 2ltr 8v rubber gasket, has the baffle plate built into it and dont leak like the 2 cork gaskets.

Damo
30-05-10, 11:08 PM
im assuming its a c20xe, use a 2ltr 8v rubber gasket, has the baffle plate built into it and dont leak like the 2 cork gaskets.

Its an e16se iirc rich!.

id rather keep the baffle plate tbh but dont know what effects it will have not having it.

novalovingned
30-05-10, 11:13 PM
Its an e16se iirc rich!.

id rather keep the baffle plate tbh but dont know what effects it will have not having it.

OOOpps didnt realise i never said it was a e16se :eek: sorry mate.

I think the baffle plate it there to stop the oil belting around the bottom of the sump when cornering hard. A friend didnt have one on his rally/track car and never had any problems, so i think im going to give it a go :)

Damo
30-05-10, 11:17 PM
OOOpps didnt realise i never said it was a e16se :eek: sorry mate.

I think the baffle plate it there to stop the oil belting around the bottom of the sump when cornering hard. A friend didnt have one on his rally/track car and never had any problems, so i think im going to give it a go :)

I say go for it then i carnt see it doing it any harm as the 1.2/1.4s never had them.

Lee
30-05-10, 11:32 PM
why dont you use some silicone sealant, like the loctite stuff. its miles better than a solid gasket as it will cater for a warped sump. just takes a day or two to set enough to use.

Be very wary doing that, if you get any overhang on the inside, the oil eats away at it and it can break off and clog up the pickup.

total_vauxhall
30-05-10, 11:42 PM
got a brand new sump for sale still in box in forsale sect mate if your intrested 25quid

novalovingned
31-05-10, 12:31 AM
got a brand new sump for sale still in box in forsale sect mate if your intrested 25quid

Have to see if the sump i have is warped first mate.

novalovingned
01-06-10, 10:11 PM
For anyone that interested lol

Tonight i removed the sump again. Removed the baffle plate a checked it.

Between every sump bolt hole there was "dips" leaving gaps. Mostly along the back edge (where the oil was coming out).

So that was chucked and i put the sump back on with 1 gasket and filled with oil.

Was about to start and realised the car was dry of fuel lol so will have to let you know the outcome another day.

auzzy-b
01-06-10, 10:25 PM
At least you have you have an idea what is was now, sounds promising good luck bud!

novalovingned
01-06-10, 11:00 PM
At least you have you have an idea what is was now, sounds promising good luck bud!

Cheers mate, heres hoping this time. Im running out of patiance an have a c16xe in the corner ready to be worked on. If it wasnt for the lack of funds atm that would be in the car lol

auzzy-b
02-06-10, 09:20 AM
I know the feeling mine was supposed to be in for it's mot last week but when I got there oil was pi**ing out! So now I have to play the waiting game until I have time to fix it....

Austin_Nova16
02-06-10, 12:57 PM
Get yourself some 'weldseal'. Its a must for all gaskets imo. Far superior to silicone sealants. Apply it to each side of the gasket and the mating surfaces...leave for a few minutes to tack-up and then fit..

novalovingned
02-06-10, 10:06 PM
Well went t the lockup again tonight. Ran the car.............. and its pissing out of the same places still :mad:

MUST be the sump, its got to be. Im going to have to buy a new sump and gasket when i get home from my holiday. Didnt want to as the engine is going to be doing 1000 miles max before its out and my new engine is in.

Whats the chances its something to do with the block? cant imagine it would be but you never know. The block has been squeeky clean every time ive put a new gasket on.

Damo
02-06-10, 10:17 PM
Well went t the lockup again tonight. Ran the car.............. and its pissing out of the same places still :mad:

MUST be the sump, its got to be. Im going to have to buy a new sump and gasket when i get home from my holiday. Didnt want to as the engine is going to be doing 1000 miles max before its out and my new engine is in.

Whats the chances its something to do with the block? cant imagine it would be but you never know. The block has been squeeky clean every time ive put a new gasket on.

Carnt see it being the block mate tbh as its cast iron have you tryed bunging it with a sealant of some sort mate just to try stop the leak as like you say it seems ponitless buying a new sump if its coming out any way!!!!

novalovingned
02-06-10, 10:26 PM
Carnt see it being the block mate tbh as its cast iron have you tryed bunging it with a sealant of some sort mate just to try stop the leak as like you say it seems ponitless buying a new sump if its coming out any way!!!!

No hav'nt tried sealing it with sealant. I try to stay away from bodging things these day. But the way its going its going to be packed with tiger seal soon lol

HHHMMMMMMMmmmmmm.... gives me an idea lol

Anyone else packed there sump gaskets with some sort of sealant?

Damo
02-06-10, 10:31 PM
No hav'nt tried sealing it with sealant. I try to stay away from bodging things these day. But the way its going its going to be packed with tiger seal soon lol

HHHMMMMMMMmmmmmm.... gives me an idea lol

Anyone else packed there sump gaskets with some sort of sealant?

I normally put some ordinary silicone sealant round the gasket just to make sure that it gets a good seal anyways mate i also use it between the cam carier and head to seal the join there too.

novalovingned
02-06-10, 10:33 PM
I normally put some ordinary silicone sealant round the gasket just to make sure that it gets a good seal anyways mate i also use it between the cam carier and head to seal the join there too.

I have a feeling its going to need a bit more than a bead of silicone though mate :cry: I comes out at a fair rate. But i think i have just the stuff.

CT1 lol

Damo
02-06-10, 10:36 PM
I have a feeling its going to need a bit more than a bead of silicone though mate :cry: I comes out at a fair rate. But i think i have just the stuff.

CT1 lol

lol weld the tw*t to the block that'll stop it leaking!!!!

But yea just try the stuff you have hopefully it'll seal it for you mate.

novalovingned
02-06-10, 10:44 PM
lol weld the tw*t to the block that'll stop it leaking!!!!

But yea just try the stuff you have hopefully it'll seal it for you mate.

Not the first time ive heard that today mate lol

novalovingned
17-07-10, 09:16 PM
Well today i bolted the nice shiny c16xe sump to the e16se engine, brand new gasket and torqued the bolt to the correct setting. It even matches the f15 box now.

Yet it still leaks on the same back edge :mad: angry is not the word. Thats 4 cork gaskets, 1 e16 sump, 1 x16 sump and rubber gasket later..........

So off i toddled next door, "Scorge have you got a spare e16 bottom end"

Thankfully he said yes :thumb: Didnt even want a penny for it, top boy. Due you a few pints mate.

So next stage is swap the bottom ends :wtf:

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Ive spoken to a few very knowledglable people today and even they havnt heard of this.

Cle
17-07-10, 09:18 PM
Never heard of that, is there a crack in the block ?

Damo
17-07-10, 09:20 PM
Well today i bolted the nice shiny c16xe sump to the e16se engine, brand new gasket and torqued the bolt to the correct setting. It even matches the f15 box now.

Yet it still leaks on the same back edge :mad: angry is not the word. Thats 4 cork gaskets, 1 e16 sump, 1 x16 sump and rubber gasket later..........

So off i toddled next door, "Scorge have you got a spare e16 bottom end"

Thankfully he said yes :thumb: Didnt even want a penny for it, top boy. Due you a few pints mate.

So next stage is swap the bottom ends :wtf:

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Ive spoken to a few very knowledglable people today and even they havnt heard of this.

Bad luck that mate but ive never heard of this before.

novalovingned
17-07-10, 09:50 PM
Cle: No noting at all :wtf: It really has me goosed like lol

Damen: Yeah it is mate. Pissed of but changing the bottom end on a e16 isnt to big a job. Still a pain in the **** though.

mowgli
18-07-10, 03:35 PM
now would you be interested in my theory......

just how well are you cleaning the inside faces of the block before you are slapping the gasket & sealant in???

i had a similar problem with a big isuzu lump in a digger(seriously) and the mechanic fitted the sump gasket & it leaked really badly in one spot.
this happened a couple of times, & was rather annoying because its an engine out job to fix.

when it was out i had a look up underneath & found than in certain spots, the oil runs down the inside of the block, i'm guessing its a drain point from the head. this stuff slowly dribbles down over the rough inside of the block. some had slipped onto the gasket right at where the sealant leaked.

our cure was to drain the oil, leave the engine overnight to properly drain out, then we cleaned inside the block with a cloth soaked in thinners, and when we were satisfied that it was perfectly clean, put it back together. it has done about a year without any further leak.

SR-Rally
18-07-10, 07:25 PM
My sump gasket kept leaking on my 1300 when I first got it. First I binned the just cork gasket and a lad I no at a motor spares got me a good quality ruber/cork gasket. Then I cleaned the bottom of the block very well and top of the sump and fitted with a sealent, highlima iirc or something similar. It never leaked again :)

novalovingned
18-07-10, 08:02 PM
now would you be interested in my theory......

just how well are you cleaning the inside faces of the block before you are slapping the gasket & sealant in???

i had a similar problem with a big isuzu lump in a digger(seriously) and the mechanic fitted the sump gasket & it leaked really badly in one spot.
this happened a couple of times, & was rather annoying because its an engine out job to fix.

when it was out i had a look up underneath & found than in certain spots, the oil runs down the inside of the block, i'm guessing its a drain point from the head. this stuff slowly dribbles down over the rough inside of the block. some had slipped onto the gasket right at where the sealant leaked.

our cure was to drain the oil, leave the engine overnight to properly drain out, then we cleaned inside the block with a cloth soaked in thinners, and when we were satisfied that it was perfectly clean, put it back together. it has done about a year without any further leak.

Ive done that several times mate :cry: the bottom of the block is shining, like i said ive tried it all. Cleaned very very well everytime.

The way i see it,

e16 sump with baffle plate new gaskets torqued............ leaked

So tried again

e16 sump with baffle plate and again new gaskets torqued........leaked

e16 sump with no baffle new gasket torqued......... leaked

e16 sump with no baffle with the above gasket and sealant torqued...... leaked

c16 cast sump with new rubber gasket....... leaked

Every time it leaked its been along the back edge closest to the bulkhead and the surface has been cleaned very well everytime inbetween. Theres no oil leak anywhere else which rules out high pressure caused by blocked breathers etc which ive also checked.

It has to be the block! which im ripping out tomorrow.

SR-Rally
18-07-10, 10:11 PM
Hope it is the block mate and you get it sorted :)

novalovingned
20-07-10, 06:21 PM
Yeah heres hoping mate.

Ive already taken the engine out lol

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s3/novalovingned/April10Nova246.jpg

6pot nova
20-07-10, 06:58 PM
yes the 2L 8V baffal plate and gesket is the spot on fix
works a treat

novalovingned
20-07-10, 07:00 PM
yes the 2L 8V baffal plate and gesket is the spot on fix
works a treat

I prefer the c16xe cast sump and rubber gasket as it matches up to the f15 box i have on the car. Should work fine when i put the new block in.