PDA

View Full Version : pc prob

Dave
01-05-03, 10:11 PM
have got a problem with my pc
when i'm online the screen has a habit of either turning off or locking up
it's not the pc as i can be listening to a cd then the screen will shut down but the cd will still be playin
any ideas?

Breeny
01-05-03, 10:15 PM
Does it turn off altogether? That suggests a power supply problem at a guess, if not it might just be your display setting. You have an option that instead of a screen saver, your monitor will turn off instead.

Dave
01-05-03, 10:30 PM
checked that in settings is set to never turn off, will try an borrow a screeen to test it

Fester
01-05-03, 11:32 PM
device driver conflict i would say

Dave
01-05-03, 11:35 PM
what does that mean & how do i sort it??!

Breeny
01-05-03, 11:39 PM
I'm not so sure because I wouldn't have thought it would have worked at all..

Basically you need to find the make of your graphics card and download the latest driver from them. Install it and see what happens, it should just come as an exe file so its easy enough to do.

Dave
01-05-03, 11:46 PM
am gonna have to have a hard look for the box then!

Nova-Boy
02-05-03, 08:21 AM
My birds computer does that it either restarts itself or locks up but only when your on the internet. Could be a software error in explorer causing windows to shut down. P*sses me off!

Jim
02-05-03, 09:21 AM
am gonna have to have a hard look for the box then!

To find what Graphihcs card you have...

Right click in windows, choose properties from the menu that appears.
Click on the Settings Tab
Click on Advanced

There should now be a load of other tabs. There should be one saying a Graphics card. For example, mine says GeForce4 Ti 4200.

If you have a GeForce card, go to www.nvidia.co.uk click on Download Drivers (tab at the top of the screen) choose which operating system you are using and follow the on screen instructions.

If you don't have a GeForce card, post which graphics card you have on here and someone will be able to send you a link for the latest driver.

Hope this helps

Jim

GTE-RACER
02-05-03, 02:57 PM
Graphics card? uhh? why does it only happen when he's on the net then???

What ISP are you on, cuz if it's AOL thats ya prob sorted, cuz it's shite and does it 2 every1 lol.....

Also is your memory full?

Or if all else fails, get a firewall, cuz sum1 might b bootin ya offline for fun lol

Do you get a box that sometimes says Kernal error?

Dave
02-05-03, 03:04 PM
no boxes just either a blank 'off' screen or a locked one will have a look at what the graphix card says when i get home later

twim
02-05-03, 06:45 PM
It Could be an over heating problem either your graphix card or your monitor could be getting too hot. Try opening yout computers case and leting some cold air in.

Tim.

Fester
02-05-03, 07:54 PM
aol wont be the cause the software itself is 'ok' in this respect

the device drivers could still be dodgy yet still work but cause errors at any time

Dicko
02-05-03, 08:52 PM
hmmm, dont listen to fester hes regularly fcuks comps up :P

ok, well to explain ur cd still playing....

the cd sends a direct signal to your souncard then out to the output on the soundcard, so as long as the board has power this will work.

it might b locking up, as u say the screen locks up. which indicates the actual pc is locking up and its more than likely to be an IRQ or memory resource conficlt as its doing it when ur on the net, when either a network card (cable) or modem (adsl) is being used.
before i can suggest some fixes what operating system is it? (please say win2k :)
might b an idea to make sure all of your fans are working ok. check what power suply you have, it shud say on it 230w/250w/300w or something along those lines.
next tell us what cpu u have.
if u have a beasty cpu and a w4ank power supply it might drop the voltage too much when the modem is in use which will lock it.
basically it could be a number of things but those are more common

Dave
02-05-03, 11:22 PM
was told to check the devices so right clicked on my docs -> properties -> then device manager has a ?unknown device delited this off re booted the pc then it said ''new hardware has been found do you want to re install the unknown device?
should i just take it to a shop? cos i aint to hot on fixin computers!
the sound card is
rage fury pro agp 4X (english)

Fester
03-05-03, 12:28 AM
the native mode thing wasnt me!