PDA

View Full Version : Internel or External pumps - Preferences

Graeme
28-05-10, 03:55 PM
Just a quick thread to see what everyone's preferences are when it comes to factory injection set ups. On my previous cars I have always had the external set up from Gsi/Sri models and they have worked fine, I planned to run this set up on my saloon that I am building but up until recently I hadn't seen the internal which I now think looks alot neater and simpler, I know I can use a mpi pump which is now swaying me towards the internal setup, the only down side me having to cut the hole out under the rear bench to access the pump, which isn't a big problem really

Can people please tell me which set up they prefer and the pro's and con's to each?

Also can upgraded pumps be use with the internal set up?

I know they both do the same job in the end just wanted peoples opinions please

Thanks Graeme

Edd
28-05-10, 04:06 PM
in tank for me.

neater imo, less pipe work aswell

iv got THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270456772278) for my Irmscher injection kit,

mowgli
28-05-10, 04:23 PM
its mostly down to which tank you have... if you are converting an spi, then internal is an obvious choice. i think the internal is a way tidier & safer way of doing it, the external one is a tad exposed

Graeme
28-05-10, 04:28 PM
I have a external tank which is brand new but I'm thinking of selling it and getting a new internal type

Edd
28-05-10, 04:32 PM
Same as me, sold it and got a new internal tank.

Graeme
28-05-10, 04:35 PM
Any idea where it was from Edd? D'you know what it cost?

Nova_Tek
28-05-10, 04:36 PM
I'd probably prefer external over internal (but tbh it don't bother me). Reason is come fixing time it's quick to get at and can be done much quicker. Plus there's something about being able to hear the pump softly buzzing away when the engine is running lol

External is more vulnerable but nothing has ever happened to the external setup on the Cav.

Internal is tidier though, no denying.

Edd
28-05-10, 04:41 PM
Any idea where it was from Edd? D'you know what it cost?

I got it down local motorfactors, they got it off Hadrian, bout 90 i think

djbrowney
28-05-10, 04:43 PM
dixon is that you ???

wft with all these name changes ???

AlexW
28-05-10, 04:58 PM
lol Browney missed the thread.

I run internal, i prefer it, only downside i can think of is fitting the fuel pipe, but not impossible.

Graeme
28-05-10, 04:59 PM
Yes mate, just makes it easier logging in lol

Don't think I've been called 'Dixon' since the last years of high school lol

djbrowney
28-05-10, 05:07 PM
loggin in ??? havent done that for years lol

you lazy ******* lol

Graeme
28-05-10, 05:20 PM
And the answer I'm waiting patiently for Richard is....

djbrowney
28-05-10, 05:23 PM
no richard in the room buddy lol

burgo
28-05-10, 05:30 PM
internal is neater. one thing ive never understood is the physical difference between internal and external pumps. i ran in internal pump externally for ages with no probs

Riggy
28-05-10, 05:42 PM
i think its more down to waht tank i had tbh , i have an external on mine but have fitted alot of internal ones when doin engine conversions because they are easyer to gewt hold off , dont really see many gte/gsi that you can nab the tanks off ,but 1.2 spi's there loads lol

Graeme
28-05-10, 05:50 PM
Thank you chaps

craig green
28-05-10, 06:42 PM
external. How it should be.