PDA

View Full Version : Glovebox problem...

Breeny
01-05-03, 07:17 PM
Does anyone know if you can fit the facsia off one glovebox and fit it on another? If so how does it all come apart cos i can't work it out lol

Stuart
01-05-03, 07:50 PM
undo all the bolts and watch it fall appart over a bump

ade
01-05-03, 10:14 PM
Glovebox held in place by about 6 bolts - 2 inside (one in each corner) and 4 (I think) underneath it (look under the fascia) - think theyre 10mm or 8mm.

You'll need a socket set or ring spanner

The actual facias are kind of hot melted on to the inner glove box door (the bit where the money supposed to clip in).

You can prise it off and then reattach another one using alraldite (epoxy resin)

As for the opener - mine snapped so I replaced the fascia & hinge - the hinge undoes after you force the pin out of it. U got to look out for the little spring clip though that makes the hinge go down!

Although to be honest it dont matter - I just gave the mechanism a blast with WD40 and it always stays down!

Ade

Breeny
01-05-03, 10:19 PM
Cheers Ade.. at the moment i have the gearbox out of the dash, the fascia is off the gsi one (cos it broke apparently - previous owner)

So i was just gonna find a standard mk2 glovebox and put the fascia on. Gsi gloveboxes are hard to come across on there own otherwise id just replace the whole thing :(

I'll try do what you suggest, dunno if any of the parts are missing but i'll soon see lol

Cheers again.

Rick Draper
01-05-03, 11:40 PM
Breeny try vaux for a price on a new one, someone told me a while ago that they were not that much. Rick

Chris_W
01-05-03, 11:45 PM
You could always just spray a standard grey one with the stretchy paint stuff that Halfords sell.
Or the mega money option get the whole dash re-done in leather ;)

Chris

mikeoxford
01-05-03, 11:46 PM
You could always just spray a standard grey one with the stretchy paint stuff that Halfords sell.
Or the mega money option get the whole dash re-done in leather ;)

Chris
which spray did u use chris? do u remmeber the name?

Rick Draper
01-05-03, 11:47 PM
Breeny try vaux for a price on a new one, someone told me a while ago that they were not that much. Rick

simon@novaheaven
02-05-03, 10:04 AM
halfords vinyl spray is great for doin the dash and stuff, i did my dash using it and its fine over a year later!

http://www.novaheaven.com/pictures/finished2.jpg

not a great pic but you get the idea

ade
02-05-03, 01:56 PM
need to test it 1st - I remember a MASSIVE thread that started up when I 1st joined NL last year over some guy trying it and it went all patchy.

Test a small area 1st and make sure its the vynal not the plastic you use - it wont work on plastic

It stains the vynal (and all stuff it touchges) so be careful

Ade

Breeny
02-05-03, 03:38 PM
Won't be doing that because the glovebox will be a different colour to the rest of the dash then! Will look like a bodge job! I'll go enquire at vauxhall in a bit seen as i got loads of stuff to pick up from there anyway..

simon@novaheaven
02-05-03, 04:07 PM
works fine on plastics too, i did the lower strip of the glove box which uis hard plastic and ive done the fusebox cover too for the colour match with the rest of the dash, had no problems with patchyness what so ever and hardly anyone can tell its been sprayed.

vaux prices are a rip off i found for interior trim and just about everything...

sunvisors ?30+ each
rear quarter trims ?150 for the pair
carpet set ?250
under dash self ?20odd

vaux dealers are well expensive! let me know how much the glove box face is if you find out! just curious how much i saved spraying mine :)

_Ben_
02-05-03, 04:48 PM
Won't be doing that because the glovebox will be a different colour to the rest of the dash then! Will look like a bodge job! I'll go enquire at vauxhall in a bit seen as i got loads of stuff to pick up from there anyway..

I got a quote for a new one - 50 quid from Vauxhall. A few week's wait mind.

Cheers.

simon@novaheaven
02-05-03, 05:16 PM
is that the whole glove box or just the lid/front panel??

_Ben_
02-05-03, 05:24 PM
That was the whole glovebox - it only comes as one piece unfortunately. The receipt went when I sold the car last september :(

Neil.
03-05-03, 01:31 AM
its funny u should say this becoz my handle broke, so i ripped the facia off and now i have to open it using the mecanisum behind the gray facia. im after a glove box door. right hard to get the hidges thingy out!