PDA

View Full Version : Nova vent slot mesh

Nova_Tek
27-05-10, 12:53 PM
Ok may not be the correct name for it...

The vent slots just below the front screen. I have noticed that some Novas have mesh fitted underneath. Were they a GM option or an aftermarket thing?

I could do with some as the battery tray/blower motor area was full of everything when I stripped the engine bay. I used to get leaves and crap even coming through into the cabin. Now that it's all clean and painted etc I really don'T want anything like that coming through.

Are the still stocked by Vauxhall? Or am I best off looking for a 2nd hand set?

:thumb:

bai1ey
27-05-10, 01:26 PM
i think they are after market if its whati am thinking off is it cromed mesh or plastic.
if it is crome you would be best of getting somthing like the grille mesh from hellfrauds and having a crack your self that way you get what you want.

Bailey

Simon 1867
27-05-10, 01:35 PM
It was a factroy fit on later mk1s matey.. i have a black plastic set in the gargage...I have a set on my mk1. can get a picture up if you want

Nova_Tek
27-05-10, 01:35 PM
Dunno if they are chromed or not but normally they are sliver in colour.

Nova_Tek
27-05-10, 01:37 PM
Dunno if they are chromed or not but normally they are sliver in colour, but they all seem to be the same on Novas I've seen and they seem to clip on too.

It was a factroy fit on later mk1s matey.. i have a black plastic set in the gargage...I have a set on my mk1. can get a picture up if you want

Yeah mate if you could. :thumb:

bai1ey
27-05-10, 01:41 PM
guess i am wrong then learn summut new every day lol
would be good to see pics as i have never seen them befour

AlexW
27-05-10, 06:31 PM
Standard on every nova i think, all black clip on plastic

Jack
27-05-10, 06:40 PM
^ yep. All the Novas I've owned have had it, except for the current saloon but I assumed Rexoid had just removed it prior to painting.

If you're not too bothered about mucking about finding an OEM piece, just get some black mesh under there.

Nova_Tek
28-05-10, 09:55 AM
Well we've had 2 Novas, the SR has them but mine never has, so wasn't sure. Was thinkng about just going to get some aftermarket mesh in black and doing it, like you've mentioned Jack, but I'd need to secure it properly so it don't keep falling off and I'd have to get some fairly tight mesh as normally the ones in places like Halfords have larger holes.

Black would be the best colour though. Need to check fleaBay to see if there's any on there.

Silicon sealant as adhesive?

Jack
28-05-10, 02:24 PM
Sealant should be fine, be a pain to remove though. How does the standard mesh affix?

BTW, that bit is the scuttle panel vents :thumb:

Nova_Tek
28-05-10, 04:27 PM
That's the sh*t, was on the tip of my tongue... scuttle panel! Think the standard ones clıp to the scuttle panel lip edge.

Pain to remove is good that would mean it'll stick and stay. Just need to find some suitable mesh for it.

Cheers Jack :thumb:

Benn
28-05-10, 08:54 PM
They get so brittle that they will break if sprayed with a hose. That's why some dont have them..

Nova_Tek
28-05-10, 10:00 PM
Is tht the OE stuff? I'm on the search for aftermarket mesh in black so hopefully they won't be so brittle :)

Benn
28-05-10, 10:13 PM
Yes, its soft plastic. The sun and weather makes it very brittle.

Nova_Tek
28-05-10, 10:16 PM
Ok well sounds like I'll be leavng the OE stuff alone and going for some good aftermarket mesh :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up

Benn
28-05-10, 10:20 PM
Leave it out, its only to stop leaves getting trapped in there.

Nova_Tek
29-05-10, 09:53 AM
That's why I want it mate. Had leaves and all sorts in there and some of them were getting into the cabin too, bits of chewed up leaves and what not all over the dash.

brucer
29-05-10, 11:16 AM
just get some OE ones. saves messing about with mesh and they just clip on.

on my first nova when mesh was a cool mod(lol) i cut out the inner part of the plastic, leaving the frame, and glued red mesh in there as that was the theme of the car.(grille, bumper etc) then it just clipped back into place.

Nova_Tek
29-05-10, 11:18 AM
Chances of finding the OE stuff for sale? Never come across them, ever!

brucer
29-05-10, 11:50 AM
find a scrap nova....et voila

Nova_Tek
29-05-10, 11:52 AM
lol ok