PDA

View Full Version : Fuked rack??

Nobby
26-05-10, 08:34 PM
The v6 is really pissing me off now! Drove it home from scotland not to bad slight pull to the left but had a flatish tyre so put it down to that. Got home and drove round for a few days and slowly the pulling to the left started getting worse. Then i jacked it up and found no play on the o/s top and bottom side to side but on the n/s there was no top and bottom but a very strange side to side but only at 9 oclock angle. Had a fiddle round and couldnt find any movment? So carried on as normal but now its got really bad i gave it some beans from standstill last night and then tried to turn right and the steering sort of locked? Since then its very hard to turb left or right and when you do all it want to do is spin back to the middle very harshly? The springs make a boingy noise also? ive just put a set of standard struts on to see if it was the coilovers but if anything its made it worse!! A chap at work (mot tester) had a look and couldnt see any play? What he did say though is that the rack sits very close to the rear manifold and it may have got the rack hot and done some damage inside the rack? any help appreciated!:confused:

draper
26-05-10, 08:47 PM
try taking the track rod end off the side that has play and then try wiggling the wheel again, or get someone to wiggle it while you have a good feel around everywhere

new racks are only £30ish from a motorfactors anyway

Nobby
26-05-10, 10:09 PM
any one else opinion?

comptoncj
26-05-10, 10:15 PM
long shot but are the cv joints ok? had this on a skoda octavia the other day that pulled to the right and it turned out to be the N/S cv was locking up and then letting go on the odd occasion. have you had it up in the air in gear and turned the steering lock to lock to see what happens?

Nobby
26-05-10, 10:19 PM
ye ive had it on axle stands and span it over but it seems ok? im going to have another look tommorow its a 5 stud setup though?

mk1nova_rich
26-05-10, 10:21 PM
top mounts?? just a suggestion...

Southie
26-05-10, 10:22 PM
What strut tops are you running? Reason I ask is I've got exactly the same problem but I'm running solids and it's like a workout when I try to steer.

comptoncj
26-05-10, 10:23 PM
Sounds silly but you havnt done anything to knock the tracking out or anything? when i put a rack in my corsa it only wanted to go straight and that was down to tracking being a mile out. Just suggesting things buddy, hope you get it sorted!

Nobby
27-05-10, 09:16 PM
Sounds silly but you havnt done anything to knock the tracking out or anything? when i put a rack in my corsa it only wanted to go straight and that was down to tracking being a mile out. Just suggesting things buddy, hope you get it sorted!

ye mate im going to get the trackong checked on sunday at kwik fit lol

Nobby
27-05-10, 09:16 PM
What strut tops are you running? Reason I ask is I've got exactly the same problem but I'm running solids and it's like a workout when I try to steer.

im not sure what they are lol i think there just alloy ones