PDA

View Full Version : garaging

jakeufton
26-05-10, 01:51 PM
hi i will be off to uni soon for 3 years so im putting the nova away in the garage till im back, it will be off the road etc, will there be anything i need to do before leaving her? i will more than likely tax and test it still every year as im back for 4 months in the summer and just insure it for then too.

Jack
26-05-10, 01:54 PM
Don't leave the handbrake on, it'll seize lol

mowgli
26-05-10, 01:55 PM
not posting it all over the internet that you are sticking it in storage & pissing off would be a start........

1. jack it up & support it on 4 stands
2. drain coolant & put decent antifreeze in.
3. get a battery charger with condition monitor so it keeps it topped up properly.
4. ideally, get someone to run it up for 10-15mins every month.

jakeufton
26-05-10, 01:55 PM
ok thanks for the tip, ok to leave all fluids etc, car cover neccessary?

jakeufton
26-05-10, 01:57 PM
why am i pissing people off?

jakeufton
sorry miss read lol i no ye but it will be not near my adress

L33 LEG
The only thing to do is leave the handbrake off, fcuk doing everything else listed. Once you are ready to drive it again give it a good going over but leaving it half a year inside a garage is going to be totally fine.

Shaun_O'Donnell
26-05-10, 01:58 PM
why am i pissing people off?

Think you mis-read that.

jakeufton
26-05-10, 02:00 PM
oo starting to sound like more hasstle than its worth, may just sell her and look for another in a couple of years...

jakeufton
26-05-10, 02:01 PM
then again anyone else left there nova for ages and come back to it sound?

L33 LEG
26-05-10, 02:01 PM
oo starting to sound like more hasstle than its worth, may just sell her and look for another in a couple of years...

Seriously, just park it up and it'll be fine.

jakeufton
26-05-10, 02:03 PM
ok cheers bud im a big stress head lol. and say i come to it with no tax test insurance, what order should i get these done in? can i drive it with no tax or while im taking it to and from mot station, potentially more than once?

L33 LEG
26-05-10, 02:06 PM
Come home from uni, check the fluids in the car and probably charge the battery up. Run it to see if everything is sound. Insure the car, book and drive to the mot. Then when you have the insurance documents and mot certificate go and tax it.

Simples.

Connor
26-05-10, 02:07 PM
Cant you take your nova to uni?
I do :d

jakeufton
26-05-10, 02:14 PM
really wish i could but it all about the money, ide be skint running and insuring it all the time! and dont trust the parking facilites! and parking is crazy money too. stressed!:(

mowgli
26-05-10, 02:58 PM
putting it on blocks is a particularly good method of stopping tyres knackering up. but take your locking wheel spanner out & hide it......

Jack
26-05-10, 03:15 PM
ok cheers bud im a big stress head lol. and say i come to it with no tax test insurance, what order should i get these done in? can i drive it with no tax or while im taking it to and from mot station, potentially more than once?
Insurance
MOT
Tax

May still be worth looking at insurance that will cover it whilst its laid up, in case the garage burns down or something.

L14MNP
26-05-10, 03:17 PM
Garage has to be on your property for laid up cover I do believe.

jakeufton
26-05-10, 04:04 PM
hmm got some thinking to do on selling or not!

Bubba
26-05-10, 06:43 PM

ling her in the garage, handbrake off, half eaten pizza out the car.:thumb:

dj_wudgey
26-05-10, 06:45 PM
not posting it all over the internet that you are sticking it in storage & pissing off would be a start........

1. jack it up & support it on 4 stands
2. drain coolant & put decent antifreeze in.
3. get a battery charger with condition monitor so it keeps it topped up properly.
4. ideally, get someone to run it up for 10-15mins every month.

pmsl as said dont leave it on the tyres as it kills them lol but mowgli coverd them all really!!