PDA

View Full Version : window Surrounds

Pete
25-05-10, 07:33 PM
Tried doin my window surrounds today, got the window out and started to fit my window back with the surrounds on, got all the rubber past the metal from the inside apart from a corner bit and i can't manage to get the rubber bit in the corner over, anyone got any ideas on how to do it? or do i need to take it out and do it again without but doing the corners first?

Jack
25-05-10, 07:35 PM
Are you doing it as per Haynes, with the bit of string round the rubber?

Pete
25-05-10, 07:37 PM
No, im doin it by the article posted on the How To's
so with a screw driver pulling the rubber back over the metal

Benn
25-05-10, 07:38 PM
Should only but one lip of rubber over (to go over the bodys seam)

Just use your fingers and roll it over, that's all i do.(screw driver in the corner) is fiddley. Get some one to push on the out side in wards.

Pete
25-05-10, 07:41 PM
i tried doing it with my fingers but there isn't that much stretch on the rubber to get it over

Mike
25-05-10, 07:45 PM
Dont do a Baxter & shatter/fall through the window gashing your arm open thought lol lol

Pete
25-05-10, 07:47 PM
Lmfaooooooo lol

Benn
25-05-10, 07:47 PM
i tried doing it with my fingers but there isn't that much stretch on the rubber to get it over

You sure the windows pushed at the way in to the frame?

Should be enough that once you have a small bit over the shells lip you can just roll/wiggle the rest over..

General Baxter
25-05-10, 07:48 PM
Dont do a Baxter & shatter/fall through the window gashing your arm open thought lol lol

mike mike, iv slit my wrists, **** it, bring me a new window lol

bmw156
25-05-10, 07:51 PM
You sure the windows pushed at the way in to the frame?

Should be enough that once you have a small bit over the shells lip you can just roll/wiggle the rest over..

second that,
when i did it, it took me a couple of attempts to get the window in far enough to have enough rubber.

just push well on the outsides of the glass and then pull the rubber over while pushing.

Pete
25-05-10, 07:54 PM
ill post a pic up of the corner bit and then im off to go give it 1 more try if it don't go then ill take it out and try tommorow

Benn
25-05-10, 07:57 PM
The rib like bits that hold the surround are very tight so they need a good push.

Mike
25-05-10, 07:58 PM
mike mike, iv slit my wrists, **** it, bring me a new window lol

I remember that lol Nath came & picked me up with a spare side window lol lol

SR-Rally
25-05-10, 07:59 PM
When I did mine and ones for friends I've done it with string and started in the tightest corner and finished on a straight.

Pete
25-05-10, 08:00 PM
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3087/dsc00101mq.jpg

Benn
25-05-10, 08:04 PM
Wtf, that's no where near fitted, push it all in, hard you'll need to lift the most inner rubber lip over the trim.

Or take the glass out and the surround out and push them together then fit back as a whole, that's how i do mine.

Pete
25-05-10, 08:09 PM
lol ill give it another go in a sec

Edd
25-05-10, 08:11 PM
I always find it is easier if you fit the corner in the pic first, I always use a bit of string aswell.

Pistol Pete
25-05-10, 08:48 PM
What he said ^ string FTW when fitting windows.

Dod
25-05-10, 08:58 PM
No need for string. Funnily enough I did 2 today. The WIndow isnt in the frame properly first off, take it and the window out.

Fit the frame to the window first, and make sure its in right.

Now put the triangle corner in and make sure the rubber lip inside is over the body lip. Push the window and frame towards the triangle corner. Get one hand inside and lift the lip over the body bit by bit, pushing the glass in with your other hand. Every 6 ot 9" pull the rubber lip down or up depending where you're working at, it tightens the rubber and pulls it in.

Thats, sub 5 mins a side.

Benn
25-05-10, 09:15 PM
I've never had to use string, the rubber is soft and there is easily enough to just pop a corner over with a screw driver then pop the rest thru with your fingers.