PDA

View Full Version : Nova Turbo Projects...

NovaLad
25-05-10, 03:34 PM
It must be a record for how many are underway this year.
Should be some really nice cars by mid - end of this year.

Why is this?
More people feeling brave about it?

I remember when it was exciting for me personally watching Joffs and Lee H's Nova Turbo threads but not they seem to be popping up all over the place.

Shaun
25-05-10, 03:35 PM
lol

started mine over a year ago

dont have a clue why i chose to build a nova turbo

NovaLad
25-05-10, 03:36 PM
I meant to put following on into this year as alot were started mid last year i think.

napalm_27
25-05-10, 03:37 PM
i always fancied going all out and building a turbo but never had the money so as i got the money i just went ahead and built one
but mine is being pulled apart again this week when i can get to do it to fit the f28

Shaun
25-05-10, 03:38 PM
i always wanted a corsa turbo, so i sourced a gsi shell and went to work on it. bareshell respray etc and then decided it wasnt really what i wanted and decided to find a mint nova shell and swap the new let over to it

always had a soft spot for novas :)

Jack
25-05-10, 03:38 PM
Now to boost the V6. lol

muzzy
25-05-10, 03:39 PM
The main reason I'm not fitting a turbo engine is because I can't afford one lol They are only for rich people!

Shaun
25-05-10, 03:42 PM
Now to boost the V6. lol

no chance of keeping enough oil in the engine at any one time for that surely :p

wwmnw
25-05-10, 04:00 PM
Now to boost the V6. lol

Meh that's old news now lol

On the topic of LET's how much on average does it cost to build one to say 300 BHP or there abouts.

Shaun
25-05-10, 04:01 PM
Large lol

napalm_27
25-05-10, 04:04 PM
well iv spent £1800 on mine and its got a 270bhp phase 2 ecu on it
but still got things to buy so your looking at atleast £2000-2500 easily

Shaun
25-05-10, 04:05 PM
im hoping for mine to be about 300hp.

I have slightly ported polished head
Xe inlet Cam
Eds Phase 3.5
Forge actuator
Custom inlet(ported&polished) with v6 TB
2.5inch boost pipe with large FMIC

erm...

All those arent too expensive once you have already got the c20let

napalm_27
25-05-10, 04:10 PM
my spec atm is

xe cam with vernier
fmic
eds phase 2

and thats about it for the minute
may get some hard boost pipes when money permits
just got to fit the f28 first
then il be looking for custom inlets
tubular manifold and t3
and bits and bobs to make it go abit better but not aiming to go to far over 300bhp as it will be undrivable in my eyes

Angus Closier
25-05-10, 04:14 PM
not aiming to go to far over 300bhp as it will be undrivable in my eyes

IN your eyes or your ability? You can have 1000bhp in a fwd car and it could still be drivable. (dont worry i know it wont be as good as rwd or 4wd)
You dont have to use all your power all the time! Just depends how good you are at not planting your right foot!!!

L33 LEG
25-05-10, 04:19 PM
Also noticed at how many LET novas are about these days. I used to think about making mine a turbo but that was because at the time it was something different, but now id rather spend the money on a car that is as quick from the factory.

Edit - and i still say that just having a standard XE is way more fun as no matter how much you thrash it worse comes to worse it will only cost you £250 to fix at the most as that's all they're worth. With a LET i doubt id enjoy driving it as much.

Lee
25-05-10, 04:19 PM
Now to boost the V6. lol

http://gadgetsteria.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/implied-facepalm.jpg

napalm_27
25-05-10, 04:31 PM
IN your eyes or your ability? You can have 1000bhp in a fwd car and it could still be drivable. (dont worry i know it wont be as good as rwd or 4wd)
You dont have to use all your power all the time! Just depends how good you are at not planting your right foot!!!

have you drove a nova turbo..?
mine tries to spin no matter how much throttle i apply whether its lightly or heavy
its just a gradient of wheelspin tbh
lots and lots or just abit

L14MNP
25-05-10, 04:33 PM
Dunno if anyone has said it but there's two main reasons for all of the conversions. (Not even gonna put IMO)

1) Cost - the parts required have never been cheaper for various reasons.
2) Knowledge - you don't need so much of it thanks to forums and extensive magazine info.

Sloth
25-05-10, 04:34 PM
napalm if i was you id be after a bigger ic mate.

Rich
25-05-10, 07:22 PM
i started mine about 2 years ago lol

What was a budget respray my own car project didnt come out as planned...

Ive had 2 xe novas and now want a let, just upgrading

krobinson
25-05-10, 07:31 PM
mine tries to spin no matter how much throttle i apply whether its lightly or heavy

That could all be down to no diff, tyre choice, condition of bush's.

They grip really well when fitted with a Diff, good tyres etc, Equal length shafts help alot too.

Rickardo
25-05-10, 07:41 PM
Mine gripped like a biatch.

No torque steer, no diff either.

It span in every gear in the wet though.

Graeme
25-05-10, 07:48 PM
I think a big factor is also how quick they are, back in the late ninetys / early 2000's xe novas where quick compared to rs turbos and golf vr6s' now compared to civic type r's and focus st's they are just a good race, on the other hand a let will upset them for a little longer

Benn
25-05-10, 07:51 PM

Funny, ok mines std but i can control it really easily. Knowing how to drive them is the key.

Lee H
25-05-10, 11:27 PM
That could all be down to no diff, tyre choice, condition of bush's.

They grip really well when fitted with a Diff, good tyres etc, Equal length shafts help alot too.

Mine has Quaife diff, equal length shafts, rose jointed tie bars and top mounts and still spins the wheels in 2nd and torque steers like mad in 2nd and 3rd.

tony k
26-05-10, 01:11 PM
ive been doing mine for about 3 years or more now,cant wait to finish it if it ever does get finished lol,my engine i bought off of game1 gotta say it pulls like a train,it was runing 330bhp 331lb torque,ive got a f28 quaife diff,equal length setup,

krobinson
26-05-10, 06:34 PM
Mine has Quaife diff, equal length shafts, rose jointed tie bars and top mounts and still spins the wheels in 2nd and torque steers like mad in 2nd and 3rd.

Mine spins in second and a little in third, I was commenting on how someone above said theirs spun in every gear. Which is down to how it was built and not how they ALL drive.

Angus Closier
26-05-10, 06:52 PM
have you drove a nova turbo..? nope but driven other fwd turbos
mine tries to spin no matter how much throttle i apply whether its lightly or heavy You are driving wrong/built it wrong Lsd and good tyres helps!
lots and lots or just abit as said Your driving/built wrong

:thumb:

Stuart
26-05-10, 06:53 PM
Pauls yellow nova seems to drive really well too.....

I guess 95% of it is down to the pink think attached to the throttle pedal lol

Angus Closier
26-05-10, 06:57 PM

I really belive that in the hands of a CAPABLE driver they can be very very good. However there are too many people who think they can drive/got very heavy right feet and it just spins, lsd and good tyres are going to help either way.

MK999
26-05-10, 06:57 PM

A good seat to pedal interface is essential.

MattBrown
26-05-10, 07:11 PM
I was building an xe nova, because I have a ban, insurers wont insure me till im 21, so, im building a turbo for then

Got a goodish shell

Engine and box being collected next weekend

Im going to spend 12 months or more building it.

Why? Because of the NW boys, Srs-1, Riggy, Rickhardon, Lee-h, gayham dixon etc, they have tricked me into it lol

blue_peg_16v
26-05-10, 07:38 PM
let was a natural progression for me had xe then modded xe and wanted more and the let is a cheaper option than modding the xe more than i had

id recomend it to anyone my old xe was 196bhp and even running standard boost the let its loads quicker down to the torque

also mine grips well obviously wheel spins if your lead footed but very good even on full boost i run phase 3 and no diff and it flies

Benn
26-05-10, 08:01 PM
I was building an xe nova, because I have a ban, insurers wont insure me till im 21, so, im building a turbo for then

On a ban then in a turbo Nova? lol start saving now your policy will be mega £££££££££££

MattBrown
26-05-10, 08:12 PM
On a ban then in a turbo Nova? lol start saving now your policy will be mega £££££££££££

Its a project, won't be on the road for some years mate.

Need to pm you about your rooflining at somepoint aswell:thumb:

Sloth
26-05-10, 08:48 PM
good luck getting sub 5k insurance mate.

Benn
26-05-10, 08:49 PM
Its a project, won't be on the road for some years mate.

Need to pm you about your rooflining at somepoint aswell:thumb:

Ok.