PDA

View Full Version : Side Repeaters on a Mk.2 - Needed for MoT?

novarally
25-05-10, 12:05 PM
My 'K' plate Nova has just had an MoT fail as it doesn't have side repeaters.

Several people at the PNG Nationals Weekend reckoned that they aren't required.

Anyone on here an MoT tester and can clarify for me please?

NovaLad
25-05-10, 12:10 PM
AFAIK you have to have a mk1 which came with no repeaters for it to pass...

I've allways been told... if it didn't come from factory without them then it's a fail.

My nova failed because it had a penny wedged between the hazard switch and the dash to stop it going off.

P.S i'm not an M.O.T tester. - Wouldn't it be easier to just quickly fit some?

MK999
25-05-10, 12:14 PM
Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

However, I always thought it was 1000mm from the *front* bumper and see the actual bulb, I've just checked mine, and there's no way you could see the actual bulb from 1m away from the rear bumper, however you would see refracted light from the lens, which it seems is what this states, so it should pass, but for a different reason to what I thought lol

novacabrio
25-05-10, 12:22 PM
Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986

These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens. (See information on following page).

taken from http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_150.htm

MattBrown
25-05-10, 12:44 PM
No problems colin!

As the indicators wrap around, and can be seen from the side.

Seems like a stupid thing to fail you on.

Im not a tester, but my nova never had side repaters.

Iain
25-05-10, 01:46 PM
To be fair they don't wrap around a massive amount. Just put some temporary ones on for the re-test?

MK999
25-05-10, 02:25 PM
To be fair they don't wrap around a massive amount. Just put some temporary ones on for the re-test?

They wrap enough to pass using the official test though, so why **** about when it should pass anyway?

MattBrown
25-05-10, 03:10 PM
Yes, they should be fine.

Ahh well, proves his mot tester wrong lol

Spudly
25-05-10, 10:19 PM
Yes, they should be fine.

Ahh well, proves his mot tester wrong lol

Thats all well and good but iirc 80% of the mot is the testers discretion so whether it be wrong or right, he is the one saying yay or nay so if he still says nay, its still a fail:cry:

Shaun
26-05-10, 10:06 AM
go to a different tester lol

MattBrown
26-05-10, 10:13 AM
go to a different tester lol

Seriously do not! lol

If it appears at another garage for test, vosa will probably call it in for a "free health check"

Pull the car in, and do a thorough inspection.

Kind of like what you SHOULD do for your motlol

Sloth
26-05-10, 11:26 AM
to test if the "wraparound" indicators are good enough, you must stand 2 feet out from the rear wheel and be able to see the front indicator flashing. or, as said be built before 1986.

Guderian
26-05-10, 05:16 PM
...Could be your chance to smooth over the holes and mod your door mirrors to mercedes style flashers!

These feeble side indicators crept in on the 'D' plate cars (see the 1986 comment above) but i have seem them on older ones. If fitted on older cars then you have to assume the tester will want them to work anyway.

Half the problem is they are push in bulbs and the contact area is very small. They rot!