PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts

N_O_V_A
01-05-03, 12:00 AM
do i have 2 have a silencer on my exhaust?

i woz thinkin about a 3" straight through from the down pipe or wud i need a silencer in that?

n e 1 else got n e other ideas? Ta :D

jatinder
01-05-03, 12:30 AM
I'm pretty cetain you need about 2 minium, im not sure though,
some one else will know

PeteG
01-05-03, 01:07 AM
You can none if you want,or even an exhaust that exits under the sill,for and even shorter pipe and less back pressure. Not sure the noise police would like it-or you neighbours for that matter. I know a few out there with just a back box and nowt else,which soulnd brilliant,but are a tad noisy.

Nova-Boy
01-05-03, 09:06 AM
I was going to make a centre section at work without a middle silencer but decided against it due to noise, fittings and expansion pressure loss?.

Even with just the back box off it sounds load as FCUK never mid without one at all!!

It is best to keep the correct lenght for an exaust to get the back pressure right for the whole rev range. If you shorten it it wont run as well at low revs but better at high revs.

Motorbike silencers sound load!

MattyWoo
01-05-03, 09:21 AM
I was going to make a centre section at work without a middle silencer but decided against it due to noise, fittings and expansion pressure loss?.

Me and Rustboy did this to my car the other day, chopped the silencer from the centre section of the system and welded a bit of pipe in the same length. I've lost all the deep low end roar but at high revs the exhaust is loud as fcuk :D I'm still not sure whether im happy losing the low end noise tho so might put the old one back on.

Dicko
01-05-03, 09:26 AM
theres not much point.

the gte/gsi/sri had 3 boxes where the other models have 2.

removing the boxes releases backpressure and effects performance badly.

having the exhaust too loud is straight MOT fail and you would get pulled over if the police heard it!

Nova-Boy
01-05-03, 09:30 AM
I just ease off the gas when going past a copper so it doesn't sound too load!! :lol:

epo
03-05-03, 07:40 PM
ive got a magnex exhaust on me mk2 sri stainless i took the sielencer off at the front then the back box and replaced it with a striaght pipe in 2 a 4" tail pipe its loud as fuk and i passed mot no prob i even double check with the mot bloke it was ok and ive had it on 4 a year and dibbles never bothered me and the performance is sound its still as quick but sounds mint the only silencer ive got is the cherry bomb 1 in the center of the car