PDA

View Full Version : rolling arches

shanehandley
30-04-03, 10:46 PM
what is this?

mikeoxford
30-04-03, 11:32 PM
when you remove the lip of the wheel arch by a method of "rolling"

instead of having a 90 degree bend in the "lip" of the arch, it bends it flat against itself

thus creating a bigger arch space to fit bigger wheels or lower the car more without scrubbage

shanehandley
01-05-03, 12:11 PM
is it hard to do and hw is it done

Nova-Boy
01-05-03, 12:13 PM
It is relatively easy to do the back of a nova compared to other cars cos they are more squared.

you can cut the lip off with a grinder and re-weld or dont cut past the original welds. Roll them with a rubber hammer or do it with a block of wood in between the tyre and arch! Get them done by a pro.

Depends on how good your bodywork is and how much money you have.

shanehandley
01-05-03, 02:18 PM
one of the rear arches the lip is quite rusty. other than that body works perfect!

when yousay dont grind past the weld marks wheres that!

if i grind them back will i get 16 wheels on?

Nova-Boy
01-05-03, 03:13 PM
if your arches are going rusty then cut the babys up! The 90 degree bend mike was on about is the arch lip and is spot welded along it to keep the two sheets together. If you grind past the spot welds the sheets will come apart and it will let water up there and will rust like billio.

If they are allready going rusty then cut the lip right off and cut all the rust away. Then you can spot weld them back together or fibreglass the egde or paint with underseal etc etc.

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=662

Here is a pic that nearly shows what i did. I Cut the lip right off and then painted the edge so it doesn't go rusty for now. I am in the process of fibreglassing them up and spraying them.

16" in a 49 or 45 mm offset should then fit on no problems.