PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Please Read! Your details are online!!

claire6069
21-05-10, 12:22 PM
Someone on MK3OC found this so thought i'd warn all you guys too:

There's a new online phone book with personal info called www.spokeo.com (http://www.spokeo.com) Has everything from pictures you've posted, your approx credit score etc. You can remove yourself by first searching for yourself on their site under
your email addy, then click on Privacy ...on the bottom of their page to remove yourself
i removed my self and porter already, if you find this as scary as i do so should you!

NovaLad
21-05-10, 12:27 PM
It's only showing USA. :S
How do you change it to UK?

claire6069
21-05-10, 12:30 PM
the search bar at the top of the page - have you clicked the email tab?

NovaLad
21-05-10, 12:31 PM
Seems to only do a wider search with Email rather than name which only seems to search around USA. lol

EDIT - There are loads of sites like these.
Just brings back anything that is public really.

MK999
21-05-10, 12:32 PM
It's a scam, shows the same info for whatever you search in email tab.

Shaun
21-05-10, 12:33 PM
found myself!

cheers +rep

Mark
21-05-10, 12:34 PM
It's just to make you enter your e-mail addy so they can start spamming the crap out of you..

Jack
21-05-10, 12:35 PM
Bear in mind, all spokeo does is trawl data from other sites - whatever it picks up is harvested from elsewhere. So, if you find personal information on it, you need to figure out where that information came from and plug the hole at source.

Shaun
21-05-10, 12:36 PM
ah feck it then

lol

NovaLad
It's just like google TBH...
You can type your email on google and more than often it will come back with something.

Nothing different.

claire6069
thats a good point actually jack,cant believe i hadnt realised that lol

cheers for the rep shaun :)

wwmnw
21-05-10, 12:58 PM
Bear in mind, all spokeo does is trawl data from other sites - whatever it picks up is harvested from elsewhere. So, if you find personal information on it, you need to figure out where that information came from and plug the hole at source.

Troo dat, the only thing it found about me was stuff from myspace, the rest of the time with different email addresses it brought up some **** about people in oldham, every time.