PDA

View Full Version : Webers or Throttle bodies

ant_tay
20-05-10, 11:44 AM
Webers or Throttle bodies

what are the advantages and disadvantages of both and what would you chose for an XE

muzzy
20-05-10, 11:46 AM
Depends on budget, throttle bodies are a lot more advanced than an old set of carbs but then you can also pick up carbs for much cheaper than you can buy a set of throttle bodies. That's the first obvious benefit. I can't comment on living with a car on throttle bodies as I've only ever had them on Weber's, it is not as bad as everyone makes out, obviously fuel consumption can be low if your heavy footed all the time but that's to be expected. If set up correctly then they will be no problem.

ant_tay
20-05-10, 12:10 PM
im not realy worried about running costs i mean tuneability, maintenance power gains stuff like that

muzzy
20-05-10, 12:15 PM
Throttle bodies are obviously better to be tuned due to the fact that it is done electronically rather than mechanically like the carbs. I can't comment on power gains as I've never seen two graphs of identical engines with one running TB's and the other carbs. Maintenance isn't a massive issue on either really, give the carbs (if you went for them) a service before fitting and they will be fine, a lot of them are old and tired now so that is an issue unless your buying new.

ant_tay
20-05-10, 01:12 PM
running costs are not an issue what ever i get will be running megasquirt with it being live road mapped a standard 4-2-1 manifold but the 1 pipe has been removed and replaced with 2 1/2 in stainless steel to match the 2 1/2 inch stainless system on it any ideas what i could expect power wise from either setup

GRUNT 16V
20-05-10, 01:13 PM
Throttle Bodys As They Are More Reliable !!!!!

peester
20-05-10, 04:08 PM
running costs are not an issue .... megasquirt

hmm

vaughanmc
20-05-10, 04:09 PM
TB's on an XE (16v) but Weber's (Carbs) on an old 8v motor

General Baxter
20-05-10, 04:16 PM
love the poll lol

Will F
20-05-10, 04:53 PM
If you can afford TBs then you shouldnt need to ask!;)

Stuart
20-05-10, 05:04 PM
45mm carbs WILL be choked down to make them work (venturis etc)

45mm TB's will be 45mm all the way (unless tapers), meaning a better potential for powaaaaa

Bubba
20-05-10, 05:14 PM
get 48s and be done with it

craig green
20-05-10, 05:17 PM
Dellorto's over weber's anyway, but TB's FTW. Properly delivered fuelling & mapped ignition. No contest.

ant_tay
20-05-10, 05:37 PM
whats wrong with megasquirt??

do i need a wideband lambda sensor??

Bubba
20-05-10, 05:39 PM
im against electrics. they always seem to fail on me. mechanical fueling !!!

dj_wudgey
20-05-10, 05:44 PM
TB's on an XE (16v) but Weber's (Carbs) on an old 8v motor
Id have to agree mate youll get better power gains with the tb's but ive never had them to coment on reliability!

phazer
20-05-10, 11:10 PM
Reliability is fine with TB's if they are set up properly. Contrary to what you hear cold starting isn't a problem, neither is a decent idle from cold. Fuel economy can be really good if you have it mapped at light throttle properly too. As for emissions, last year mine was only just outside the max for a cat equipped car. The TB's have only been balanced once in the 6+ years they've been on and that was down to me.

Also fired up and ran first time after the mega cold/long winter having stood doing nothing for 5 months.

16v Nova Kev
20-05-10, 11:14 PM
all im saying is bike carbs.

craig green
20-05-10, 11:18 PM
whats wrong with megasquirt??

You get what you pay for. ;)

muzzy
20-05-10, 11:22 PM
I never had any issue's cold starting my first set of Weber's as they were set up correctly, flat to the floor throttle never caused any problems either. On the second set which came on a car I bought, they were the complete opposite, never set up and it ran terrible on anything but full throttle.

Obviously TB's are going to be better as they are years ahead in technology than a set of old Weber's. Saying that though carb's get a lot of bad press but that is mostly down to people experiencing badly set up cars.

Overall though you are going to see better gains with TB's, everything can be mapped to be bang on whereas carb's just throw fuel in.

Stuart
20-05-10, 11:50 PM
You get what you pay for. ;)

more like you get what you build... eg built badly its crap, built well its ok, modded its great.

but most folks just have a crack at mapping etc and fail bigtime.

Yes you need a wideband otherwise all you will be able to do is map to 14.7:1 which = melty melty at high load/speed lol

dj_wudgey
21-05-10, 08:15 PM
I never had any issue's cold starting my first set of Weber's as they were set up correctly, flat to the floor throttle never caused any problems either. On the second set which came on a car I bought, they were the complete opposite, never set up and it ran terrible on anything but full throttle.

Obviously TB's are going to be better as they are years ahead in technology than a set of old Weber's. Saying that though carb's get a lot of bad press but that is mostly down to people experiencing badly set up cars.

Overall though you are going to see better gains with TB's, everything can be mapped to be bang on whereas carb's just throw fuel in.

yea ive not had problems with my 40's either as said you will get bigger gains with the tb's but those or 40's will have you wearing a grin when you boot the throttle!!