PDA

View Full Version : thinking will a VXR turbo lump fit in a nova???

Trendall
20-05-10, 11:11 AM
HELP im going crazy i want to build the first ever VXR nova full VXR set up brakes springs exhaust ect... also making the corsa vxr dash fit does anyone know if the engine will fit in the nova with the gear box? or if it can be done i know i will cost alot but like i said im crazy i just want to know if it can be done and if i will be the first to do it. maybe vauxhall will read this and build a vxr nova for fun.

Southie
20-05-10, 11:12 AM
mmmm CLICKY (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113434)

MK999
20-05-10, 11:15 AM
tbh, if you think the springs and exhaust will fit, walk away.

MattBrown
20-05-10, 11:19 AM
Your pishing in the wind.

If you dont already know, its been done in a corsa B

So yes it will fit.

The m-32 box is cable shift, and a PAIN in the BOTTOm to fit.

Engine, mounted to an f28 6 speed box, using a flywheel and clutch of an xe.
is the best way

Brakes wont fit.

VXR's are 5 stud.

FYI, the standard VXR management is a pain. So people use the Astrsa mk4 gsi loom etc, and "Splice" into the corsa/nova loom.

Its a serious pain.

What conversions have you already done?

Trendall
20-05-10, 11:19 AM
tbh, if you think the springs and exhaust will fit, walk away.

well cutting and bodging would be a big part of this project

MK999
20-05-10, 11:28 AM
well cutting and bodging would be a big part of this project
lol
http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/pop.gif

All I will say is, the technical expertise required to do something like this goes a bit above "the exhaust is entirely the wrong shape and size but we'll cut and bodge it on somehow"

Trendall
20-05-10, 11:28 AM
so far none the most ive done to this nova so far is cleaned it up and sorted out the rust but the 1.2 carb is far to slow. and its a shame it has already been done was hoping to be the first. thanks for the thread of gunnys nova. im looking now to buy the parts if i can get everything then maybe next year at santa pod and billing ill have it ready. as with the brakes beign 5 stud cant you get cav gsi brakes to fit? im sure i remember someone saying you can convert the rear beam to disc's if you can do the same with the front to 5stud then shouldnt be a problem.

L33 LEG
20-05-10, 11:34 AM
I'm sure this will be an amazing outcome and be completed without any problems. You don't sound like the other hundreds of people who come on here saying they're doing a similar conversion...if only they used the cut and bodge way :wtf:

MattBrown
20-05-10, 11:36 AM
I'm sure this will be an amazing outcome and be completed without any problems. You don't sound like the other hundreds of people who come on here saying they're doing a similar conversion...if only they used the cut and bodge way :wtf:

lol

Soo true :d

mowgli
20-05-10, 11:37 AM
trendall, do it in stages. get an XE in & then upgrade from there.

of course a 1.2 is slow.

the rear disc conversion is purely cosmetic & to annoy baxter

bungle117
20-05-10, 12:07 PM

lollollol

Sloth
20-05-10, 12:17 PM
does he mean corsa or astra vxr? either way its been done, gunny, and napalm.

going by this:

so far none the most ive done to this nova so far is cleaned it up and sorted out the rust but the 1.2 carb is far to slow. and its a shame it has already been done was hoping to be the first. thanks for the thread of gunnys nova. im looking now to buy the parts if i can get everything then maybe next year at santa pod and billing ill have it ready. as with the brakes beign 5 stud cant you get cav gsi brakes to fit? im sure i remember someone saying you can convert the rear beam to disc's if you can do the same with the front to 5stud then shouldnt be a problem.

i have more chance of being a mod on here.

Sloth
20-05-10, 12:17 PM
oh and ffs, go read the projects section....

mowgli
20-05-10, 01:08 PM
napalms project pretty much went

1. buy half of a vxr lump...
2. attempt to chuck it into a nova
3. try & sell it on eBay for 3000 quid
4. get another engine

GRUNT 16V
20-05-10, 01:10 PM
Hers Another Dreamer !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It Will Never Happen !

Jack
20-05-10, 01:12 PM
maybe vauxhall will read this and build a vxr nova for fun.
Fcuking lol of the week.

Sloth
20-05-10, 01:35 PM
pants of fail winner?

MK999
20-05-10, 02:22 PM
does he mean corsa or astra vxr? either way its been done, gunny, and napalm.

If napalm has "done" VXR engine conversion then I can fit pretty much any engine you want into a nova, stuff thats too big for the bay could go in the boot just as easily.

napalm_27
20-05-10, 02:29 PM
the astra vxr engine is a pure pain in the fooking **** to fit
just dont attempt it :thumb:
been there done that and failed went for a more powerful c20let that doesnt kill the 4th piston
i tried doing it with half a clue.. you seem to be dreaming more then me
it will cost you around
£3000 to fit it in and get it fully running if you can get it running
pay me £5k and il fit it for you :thumb: lol
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr142/napalm_27/21042010574.jpg
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr142/napalm_27/21042010577.jpg

thats as far as i got then sold the engine for £1300 to a nice german man and then bought a c20let

mowgli
20-05-10, 02:31 PM
funny how it is externally the same size as an XE or LET, but it won't fit..........

burgo
20-05-10, 02:32 PM
the astra vxr engine is a pure pain in the fooking **** to fit
just dont attempt it :thumb:
been there done that and failed went for a more powerful c20let that doesnt kill the 4th piston
i tried doing it with half a clue.. you seem to be dreaming more then me
it will cost you around
£3000 to fit it in and get it fully running if you can get it running
pay me £5k and il fit it for you :thumb: lol

thats as far as i got then sold the engine for £1300 to a nice german man and then bought a c20let

please shut the **** up and delete those pictures, you have never and will never fit a vxr engine so dont try and rip this poor mug off.

napalm_27
20-05-10, 02:32 PM
the cam belt cover gets in the way
it needs a totally different conversion mount to the normal xe/let one
trust me been there done it
its a right pain in the ****

napalm_27
20-05-10, 02:35 PM
please shut the **** up and delete those pictures, you have never and will never fit a vxr engine so dont try and rip this poor mug off.

why dont you shut up
and why take the pics off
the bloke wants to know if it can be done
yer it can be done with lots of money know how time and effort

burgo
20-05-10, 02:38 PM
why dont you shut up
and why take the pics off
the bloke wants to know if it can be done
yer it can be done with lots of money know how time and effortmaking one engine mount is far from lots of time money and effort lmfao. the hardest thing about it is the management, just scrap that for after market and its no different to fitting any other engine. just because you cant buy the mount off the shelf doesnt mean it cost 5 grand lmfao

and take the pictures off because that is "proof" you fitted it, its not fitted!!

Edd
20-05-10, 02:38 PM
What so difficult about it ?

Vxr engine
f28 box
conversion mounts
z20 let loom ecu transponder
remap to take vxr afm and injectors
intercooler/pipe work

job done

Damo
20-05-10, 02:43 PM
[quote=Edd]What so difficult about it ?

Vxr engine
f28 box
conversion mounts
intercooler/pipe work

And stitch welding and plating kit.

burgo
20-05-10, 02:44 PM
[quote=Edd]What so difficult about it ?

Vxr engine
f28 box
conversion mounts
intercooler/pipe work

And stitch welding and plating kit. technically you dont HAVE to do that

Sloth
20-05-10, 02:46 PM
dont need the zlet loom, run the beggar on megasquirt. far cheaper and easier to wire.

Stuart
20-05-10, 02:51 PM
easier to wire.

bollocks.... both are the same to wireup.... just everyone uses bulelt connectors or scotchlocks because they are scared of wiring.

A PROPER spec loom/harness will be no harder to make for a space shuttle as it would be for a 1.2 carb nova, just one will take a bit more time lol

Mike
20-05-10, 02:52 PM
^ the Nova loom then lol lol

burgo
20-05-10, 02:52 PM
bollocks.... both are the same to wireup.... just everyone uses bulelt connectors or scotchlocks because they are scared of wiring.

A PROPER spec loom/harness will be no harder to make for a space shuttle as it would be for a 1.2 carb nova, just one will take a bit more time lollmfao +rep

Sloth
20-05-10, 02:54 PM
i dont scotchcock or bullet, i solder and heat shrink. ;)

and i was comparing m/s to the oem zlet loom, which requires a body ecu feed. there are around 30 wires to wire in on one, m/s is 5/7 iirc.

Stuart
20-05-10, 03:07 PM
i dont scotchcock or bullet, i solder and heat shrink. ;)

and i was comparing m/s to the oem zlet loom, which requires a body ecu feed. there are around 30 wires to wire in on one, m/s is 5/7 iirc.

Its no harder to hook up 23 more wires... just takes a little more time, meh.

oh and solder FTL :( bodgetastic.

GOOD PROPER crimps FTW.

Sloth
20-05-10, 03:16 PM
Its no harder to hook up 23 more wires... just takes a little more time, meh.

oh and solder FTL :( bodgetastic.

GOOD PROPER crimps FTW.

how is solder bodgetastic? thats like saying welding is inferior compared to rivets.:wtf: dont get me wrong, decent crimps are good, but a soldered join is far stronger and more conductive.

MK999
20-05-10, 03:18 PM
how is solder bodgetastic? thats like saying welding is inferior compared to rivets.:wtf: dont get me wrong, decent crimps are good, but a soldered join is far stronger and more conductive.

Solder cracks under the vibration from a car, and proper crimps should be stronger, especially if you take into consideration the strength in different directions.

Stuart
20-05-10, 03:19 PM
And also a much faster point of vibration failure in an automotive environment.

Why do you think OEM's crimp (they form cold welds with good tooling, which isnt that expensive) as opposed to solder (and ignore production times as its as fast to do either, they have worked it out)

To do a GOOD soldered joint for automotive use, you need to pay far more attention than if you just good crimped it.

Oh and rivets are very strong when used correctly ;)

Sloth
20-05-10, 03:20 PM
if you heat the wire properly, and intertwine the bare wire, i can tsee it cracking. also your wiring should never be taught, it should be slightly slack so it isnt stretched. meh, i'll stick to what i prefer.

Sloth
20-05-10, 03:21 PM
the rivet thing was a comparison, i for one wouldnt bolt or rivet a repair to a floor in when its better to be welded. even the mot handbook says this.

Stuart
20-05-10, 03:22 PM
even slack it will vibrate its tits off :wall:

The solder will stop at some point in the multistrand cable, meaning a 'sharp' edge between a multistrand and monostrand. Stresstastic.

But then doing things properly never crossed a lot of peoples minds :p

Shaun
20-05-10, 03:24 PM
whats wrong with wrapping the 2 ends together and then covering in some 'leccy' tape :confused:

:p

Stuart
20-05-10, 03:24 PM
the rivet thing was a comparison, i for one wouldnt bolt or rivet a repair to a floor in when its better to be welded. even the mot handbook says this.

ahh yes, the MOT handbook is oh so wise into structural ridigity lol.

Aston, Lotus, and many other proper car makers bond and rivet the floorpans together as its better than welds.

Oh but lets not facts and the real world get in your way :p

MattBrown
20-05-10, 03:25 PM
even slack it will vibrate its tits off :wall:

The solder will stop at some point in the multistrand cable, meaning a 'sharp' edge between a multistrand and monostrand. Stresstastic.

But then doing things properly never crossed a lot of peoples minds :p

I solder.

Crimp for testing purposes, then I solder everything.

In 5 years I have never had a connection "Stress Fracture"

Only time I have ever lost them, is when I used normal temp solder, not high silver in racing. (model cars)

Stuart
20-05-10, 03:25 PM
whats wrong with wrapping the 2 ends together and then covering in some 'leccy' tape :confused:

Better than soldering imho. Atleast there is give in there while retaining contact lol

Shaun
20-05-10, 03:26 PM
Better than sodlering imho. Atleast there is give in there while retaining contact lol

lol lol lol

Jack
20-05-10, 03:35 PM
Whats all this talk of wires? Electrical stuff is just magic and trickery.

taught
http://www.crestock.com/images/850000-859999/855218-xs.jpg

:confused:

Stuart
20-05-10, 03:36 PM
mmm torte :)

Hobbit
20-05-10, 03:53 PM
When it comes to wiring I find it best to pay someone else to do it lol

Sloth
20-05-10, 04:10 PM
meh, i do it my way as thats how i was taught (like jacks piclol ) and how every other tech, mechanic, electrcian, and auto sparky i've spoke to does it.

jack i meant taut as in tight. my bad for mis-spelling it.:thumb:

stu, re: mot handbook, i know bonding etc is stronger, but i bet if you took a hammer to a rivetted section it would break long before weld.:)

matt, spot on:thumb:

Mike
20-05-10, 04:27 PM
Solder adds weight lol ulimate fail lol

Stuart
20-05-10, 04:30 PM
stu, re: mot handbook, i know bonding etc is stronger, but i bet if you took a hammer to a rivetted section it would break long before weld.:)

Its gonna take a long ass time and a big ass hammer to break the joins on either (the sheet meal will give way first)

There are regs to rivet panels in as opposed to just putting a rivet in each corner lmao

craig green
20-05-10, 05:37 PM
what was this thread about again?

Stuart
20-05-10, 05:38 PM
what was this thread about again?

sloth being wrong and napalm being laughable?

let_nova
20-05-10, 05:41 PM
tut tut.

craig green
20-05-10, 05:44 PM
sloth being wrong and napalm being laughable?

Oh yeah. lol @ the mount issue, so throw in the towel.

I havent seen any of my soldered joints fail yet. Theres enough out there.... :p

Nobby
20-05-10, 05:45 PM
whats your nova mate? im only in brierley hill so your local lol

AlexW
20-05-10, 05:58 PM
This talk of solderd joints pisses me off, been doing it for years and never had one snap, thousands of cars, millions of joints.

The crimps also cause a stress point, at the same place, where they end and the wire is on its own?

Stuart
20-05-10, 06:16 PM
This talk of solderd joints pisses me off, been doing it for years and never had one snap, thousands of cars, millions of joints.

The crimps also cause a stress point, at the same place, where they end and the wire is on its own?

solder travels up the wire inside where you cant see it, that is where the stress point is.

yes it works but its never ever ideal.

Sloth
20-05-10, 06:20 PM
where the funk am i wrong? stu wtf is your issue with me? im pretty sick of your crap. how about manning up for a sec and actually telling me what your issue is?

Stuart
20-05-10, 06:25 PM
giving out dodgy advice, being all talk and nothing with all this saab/any conversion on any car evaaaaaarrrr crap and being super non sheep when you really are hunny.

love you really...

General Baxter
20-05-10, 06:27 PM
lmao lol

Bubba
20-05-10, 06:35 PM
**** electric...im on gas

Mike
20-05-10, 06:35 PM
pair of battys lol

Sloth
20-05-10, 06:37 PM
giving out dodgy advice,
where the funk is my "dodgy advice?" if you actually asked a few people you'd find i've helped alot of people, both on here and other forums with issues with their cars. anyone else would ask for cash but i dont. i do it as i like helping and i do it right. no issues with my work.

being all talk and nothing with all this saab/any conversion on any car evaaaaaarrrr crap
seen my wip? or any of the pics of other cars ive made/built? the ONLY reason i havent done anything saab powered is cos i havent got the money, as i have a wedding to pay for. you know, out in the real world, where your just another sheep.;)
and being super non sheep when you really are hunny.
sheep? fukk off, who else has painted an engine green and pink? who else has used stone effect paint? who else builds cars for peanuts, and i mean peanuts? who else thinks constantly outside the box?
love you really... you just want to **** me. face it. :thumb:

that answers you i think. oh and tbh i answered that out of niceness, in fact i dont care what you think, your no better than any of us.

chin up sweetie, nobody is ever always right.

hugs and kisses,

rob (sloth) xx

Stuart
20-05-10, 06:41 PM
I know I'm no 'better' than others... you however seem to think that pink paint and stone effect makes you the head of the herd, you believe what you want sweetie.

Where is this outside the box thinking? go on, where?

Bubba
20-05-10, 06:44 PM
Where is this outside the box thinking? go on, where?

in the nova hovercraft!!! (go burgo go)

Hobbit
20-05-10, 06:45 PM
:( the mother in law just caught me having a **** over this thread...

MattBrown
20-05-10, 06:45 PM
Cheesus christ.

Soldered, crimped, shafted in the rear. I dont care.

This site is for 20 year old shiity old rust buckets.

Not a "NASA" mission to mars.

Soldering works, fact stuart, thats a fact.

Crimps also work sloth, fact, thats another fact.

You are both right, you are both wrong.

And tbf, no one cares, he hasnt got an engine, or anything near one, so when he needs advice on how to join some wires he will ask.

Bad day? YES lol

Sloth
20-05-10, 06:46 PM
I know I'm no 'better' than others... you however seem to think that pink paint and stone effect makes you the head of the herd, not at all, just running in the other direction. you believe what you want sweetie. thanks i do.

Where is this outside the box thinking? go on, where? look at my wip, or anything else ive built, i've always had people say, "whats that, never seen that before." or "that looks cool, how did you do that?" even spud and asa and others have seen my work and said it looks really good. i could pull up old threads where ive said things, got told it wont work only for a few months/years later someones done exactly that. still, you carry on, running at the front of the herd, yet getting no-where.

much love darling xx

Cle
20-05-10, 06:57 PM
acually pmsl lol i love this thread lol

Sloth
20-05-10, 07:00 PM
i find it amusing i really do :)

General Baxter
20-05-10, 07:06 PM
and being super non sheep when you really are hunny.
sheep? fukk off, who else has painted an engine green and pink? who else has used stone effect paint? who else builds cars for peanuts, and i mean peanuts? who else thinks constantly outside the box?

problem there is, who would want too lol

sloth, stu, have your tampons fallen out today ?

Andy
20-05-10, 07:08 PM
lol @ this thread.The flirting between them 2 shirtlifters is so obvious lol

General Baxter
20-05-10, 07:11 PM
stus mine **** off lol

Hobbit
20-05-10, 07:13 PM
You're wrong, he's mine now ;)

Jack
20-05-10, 07:46 PM
jack i meant taut as in tight. my bad for mis-spelling it.:thumb:
I know, I just wanted to get in there akin to the fort/thought pics :d

As for crimping/soldering, I prefer the former. Mainly because I can't burn myself with a crimping tool lol

Lee
20-05-10, 07:54 PM
I always solder, but I use a method which prevents the solder bleeding down the insulation as stuart mentioned. I always solder when making connections in an AV system as well.

I try not to crimp as the crimps are only as good as the shonky crimpers you may posess. I understand why Stuart says crimping is better, ultimately it is, but only when you have a high quality set of crimpers like he is probably used to in his line of work, and as he said, are used by Lotus etc.

However, most of the tat people (including me) have in their toolkits I wouldnt trust for a second and soldering is infinately better.

MattBrown
20-05-10, 07:55 PM
I love my soldering, got a propper set of crimps, riggy spat his fat allover them when I showed him my criped connectors lol

But, soldering is always better IMHO!

John
20-05-10, 07:58 PM
What so difficult about it ?

Vxr engine
f28 box
conversion mounts
intercooler/pipe work

job done

Agreed.

Lee
20-05-10, 07:59 PM
I love my soldering, got a propper set of crimps, riggy spat his fat allover them when I showed him my criped connectors lol

But, soldering is always better IMHO!
When I did my work experience at school it was with Quantel who build all the special effects computers for the film industry.

All the connections in those are crimped, and they have a whole department dedicated to the maintainance of the crimping equipment. One of the tests they do is to crimp a connector onto a wire, then immerse the connector into a small cylinder of resin. Then when the resin has set, its stuck in a lathe and the crimped joint is cut in half, and then examined under a fooking powerful microscope to check for any irrecgularities and air gaps. Safe to say, there were none!

If they did the same to my crimpers, you would probably be lucky to find a strand of wire actually making a connection lol

Angus Closier
20-05-10, 08:20 PM
This thread it epic....to be honest I use both crimping and soldering both work well for me in different times and different places...

Pistol Pete
20-05-10, 08:22 PM
I think the red one on saturday is better, but only if the wheels dont fall off. If they do its a no no for me, but then if the blue, white or green one is there then happy days!

muzzy
20-05-10, 08:31 PM
I have a DMC crimper which I would class as pretty good, although I sometimes solder, totally depends what repair's I am doing and where in the vehicle I am doing them.

Bubba
20-05-10, 08:47 PM
meh twist and lash tape! its a nova not an aston

MK999
20-05-10, 08:48 PM
meh twist and lash tape! its a nova not an aston

So, yours has never had any electrical issues then, like losing spark? lol

Stuart
20-05-10, 09:22 PM
are used by Lotus etc.

lol Lowtarse make the WORST wiring harnesses ever, parts of mine have corroded and sheared :wtf:

Will be remaking it at somepoint, crimping ;)

burgo
21-05-10, 02:43 AM
bahahaha how epic has this turned out. i prefer crimping but dont have decent crimpers so stick to trying to use up the massive roll of solder i stole from school lol.

napalm_27
21-05-10, 03:00 AM
solve the argument solder the fecking crimps win win situation lol :p

Dom
21-05-10, 08:48 AM
LMFAO its like being back at school on herelol
I thought I had joined a car club not a handbag convention:d lol lol

Bubba
21-05-10, 08:50 AM
So, yours has never had any electrical issues then, like losing spark? lol

i do believe thats only down to the fact the ignition was ripped apart :p

i wouldnt go n lash tape my HT leads....thats just silly...why do you think they invented duct tape :p

Southie
21-05-10, 08:53 AM
I wonder if the lads decided to fit the VXR after all this lol

Jon_nova1
21-05-10, 09:06 AM
I've always preferred soldering, mainly due to the fact i have a decent set of ratchet crimpers and the joint still falls apart:roll:

mowgli
21-05-10, 09:10 AM
the whole joint thing is down to how confident/competent you feel about your own wiring. 'lucar' crimp terminals are not the best. i personally prefer to solder them & heat shrink them cos i know its permanent.

Jon_nova1
21-05-10, 09:19 AM
Those are the ones! where the insulation looks like its going to fall apart before the wires actually been gripped!

ok, well when it has been gripped but you test it and it casually falls out lol

Bubba
21-05-10, 10:10 AM
I wonder if the lads decided to fit the VXR after all this lol

i think he is more concerned on how to connect his wires...solder or crimps. both seem to work lol lol lol lol

mowgli
21-05-10, 10:16 AM
he's been watching custom my ride, where they weld an old bodyshell on the top of a new chassis........... cos it would be easier to get a vxr & slap the top of a nova on it

Sloth
21-05-10, 10:20 AM
o.t slightly but i was told, a mk3 astra van track and whelbase is the same as a e30 bmw....