PDA

View Full Version : Tax Exemption

Bubba
18-05-10, 08:46 PM
Saw this on an egay ad (for that dodgy blue ovlov lol)

2. Low tax bracket - a year's car tax was £125 last year. As we all know, the Labour government scrapped the 25 year rolling tax exemption in 1997 meaning only pre 1973 cars are tax exempt. The Tories have vowed to bring this back (see page 3, Classic Car Weekly, April 28th 2010), so this car is likely to be tax free in the near future. Thank God Labour have gone.

is this true? i may be excited if it is :thumb:

novacabrio
18-05-10, 08:50 PM
Good on them if it is, how ever, With talks of increases in VAT etc I doubt they will be scrapping any taxes any time soon.

L14MNP
18-05-10, 08:51 PM
Ah. You got it from there lol. A years tax on that 1400 P.O.S maybe. Mine is over £200 p/a!

Bubba
18-05-10, 08:53 PM
hmm had a goosie on t'web...looks like a rolling 38YEAR exemption.

Classic Car Weekly Article raises some hope............
The front page headline in this weeks 'Classic Car Weekly' suggests there is a good chance a new Tory government would re-introduce their rolling classic car tax exemption frozen by Gordon Brown at 1972 in his very first 1997 budget (with absolutely no consultation with anyone either in the classic car world or the industry it supports). Some Tory MP's questioned on this in the CCW article said this would be on the agenda but thought in the current climate it was most likely it would start at what is now 38 years instead of 25 years rolling. ie. move as before one year each year starting first with all 1973 classic cars becoming exempt. Heres hoping this is true......but as with all governments don't hold your breathe waiting even if they do win!!

novacabrio
18-05-10, 09:01 PM
Excellent! Only about 11 years to wait if you have a Y reg nova lol

Bubba
18-05-10, 09:03 PM
shweet...13 years for mine :D

L14MNP
18-05-10, 09:06 PM
10 years and waiting here. lol

Stuart
18-05-10, 09:10 PM
Look at it this way.... most classic cars drink fuel like there is no tomorrow, so encouraging them to be used means more fuel duty (compared to road tax lol)

Bubba
18-05-10, 09:21 PM
Look at it this way.... most classic cars drink fuel like there is no tomorrow, so encouraging them to be used means more fuel duty (compared to road tax lol)

your just pissed because you have to wait so much longer than us lot lol

Stuart
18-05-10, 09:27 PM
not really... if my car was in the gheymo banded scheme I'd be paying nearly £50 a year more, so I'm happy enough :)

SR-Rally
19-05-10, 11:15 AM
Only 11 years to wait :)

Jack
19-05-10, 12:42 PM
I'd be surprised if that comes in, especially how labour have conditioned everyone to think newer cars = better. Mind you, the stereotypical toffish Tory supporters all have classic jaaaaaaag's in the garage, so thats no doubt where the idea came from!

mowgli
19-05-10, 12:45 PM
the 25 year rolling exemption was not a huge money loser for the government.... i never did understand why it got dropped.... a bit like the transport minister who went on top gear & admitted to liking driving.... he was reshuffled in seconds.... labour had a huge anti car agenda.. the tories & lib dems are more rural in their voters, where cars are a necessity, not a luxury, so they might help out.

Stuart
19-05-10, 01:58 PM
I expect a Landrover Defender specific tax bracket of a £200 per year refund to be made up now lol

mowgli
19-05-10, 02:15 PM
I expect a Landrover Defender specific tax bracket of a £200 per year refund to be made up now lol

they ought to be exempt. they don't satisfy the basic criteria to be a road vehicle...

Stuart
19-05-10, 02:22 PM
I dunno, they are comfy (if you arent driving and get in the back + take the front seat out), can be "fast"... although ill advised, and will 4wheel drift in the dry on tarmac :)

mowgli
19-05-10, 02:23 PM
sack of sh1t tied in the middle is the best description i have for them..... for half the money, you can get a way better jap 4x4

Jack
19-05-10, 03:48 PM
sack of sh1t tied in the middle is the best description i have for them..... for half the money, you can get a way better jap 4x4
Toffs don't drive japanese though lol

mowgli
19-05-10, 03:56 PM
Toffs don't drive japanese though lol

the rich farmers drive big land cruisers

Bubba
19-05-10, 05:30 PM
the rich farmers drive big land cruisers

real farmers drive john deer ;)

Southie
19-05-10, 05:33 PM
real farmers drive john deer ;)

Nice lol

http://trstn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/pimped_john_deere.jpg

amggsi
19-05-10, 05:44 PM
and will 4wheel drift in the dry on tarmac :)

You must like replacing half shafts in them then.lol Usually break with a chirp of a tyre in the dry.lol

Stuart
19-05-10, 06:11 PM
You must like replacing half shafts in them then.lol Usually break with a chirp of a tyre in the dry.lol

no but we were killing the TXB and diffs until we put a torque limit into the software. Wouldnt drift as well then :( but would still do 3figure speeds (scariest thing of my life that was)

mowgli
19-05-10, 07:04 PM
real farmers drive john deere ;)

john deeres are a £20k paintjob. they aren't any better than the other tractors.........

Bubba
19-05-10, 07:12 PM
john deeres are a £20k paintjob. they aren't any better than the other tractors.........

i just named one...massey ferguson, new holland...

Jack
19-05-10, 09:09 PM
A real farmer would sit and moan for 10 hours about the cost of the stamp to send the forms off for a tax rebate. Tight fcukers.

amggsi
19-05-10, 09:38 PM

Fendt is where it's at, I'd love one.

Beats the Cases we have that give you whiplash with every gearchange!lol

Bubba
19-05-10, 09:40 PM

bloody irish farmers lol lol cant even drive a tractor with out going to the ICU

mowgli
19-05-10, 09:42 PM

when mccormick took over the case designs, they softened the change, & the gearboxes fell apart. we had one that was stripped & rebuilt three times in 100hrs of working time. our old case was bombproof

hendrix
19-05-10, 09:45 PM
the mccormick was prob built in Doncaster lol lol lol

mowgli
19-05-10, 09:49 PM
the mccormick was prob built in Doncaster lol lol lol

they were. & a sad end to a great factory. the IH tractors were ace, the Case IH ones were brilliant, the mccormick were total shyte. they engineered an engine swap from cummins to perkins over a weekend, and it showed, high tickover, the alternator brackets were so bad that the alt fell off, bounced off the fan & caused several grands worth of damage, the brakes failed more often than on baxters car....

hendrix
19-05-10, 09:51 PM
Donny workforce eh ;-) lol

mowgli
19-05-10, 09:53 PM
when case left town, they took all of their first choice engineers... the rest thought... ok, its time to do all the things they never let us do before.........

the production line staff were good people, the build quality was good.