PDA

View Full Version : Shot blasting shell

Iain
18-05-10, 06:44 PM
Has anyone had a shell shot blasted before? Any hints to what you should look for in a company to do this? Soda blasting any good? Mobile blasters worth a call? So far been asking local companies for some quotes but no success yet.

Wanting the underside (only) of my car stripped to bare metal (currently there's some original undercoating (the cream stuff, not underseal), primer, seam sealer, canned stonechip and Hammerite over it all). Going to take far too long to do a bad job with powertools and paint stripper.

CoolTiger
18-05-10, 06:47 PM
shot blasting can warp the panels iirc soda blasting is ok though if i remember right but under it wont matter

L14MNP
18-05-10, 07:21 PM
Warping shouldn't be an issue on the underside in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Do as we discussed my trade card carrying friend. Lay down a tarp and get a mobile guy to come out.

That way the shell won't get knocked about/it will save you money as they won't have to fart on if you get it on it's side ready for their arrival.

djbrowney
18-05-10, 07:33 PM
you will not shot blast the underside of the car full stop, the grit just bounces of the underseal/sealer/hits you in the face and genrally gets on your tits ! look in my build thread a page or so back when i blasted mine !!!

novacabrio
18-05-10, 08:12 PM
you will not shot blast the underside of the car full stop, the grit just bounces of the underseal/sealer/hits you in the face and genrally gets on your tits ! look in my build thread a page or so back when i blasted mine !!!

Was just about to say the same, You also get problem with the grit in the nooks and crannys

Edd
18-05-10, 08:23 PM
Twisted knot wire wheel on drill FTW

dj_wudgey
18-05-10, 08:24 PM
well i guess im not blasting the underneath off mine then lol hours off scraping instead lol

taffnova
18-05-10, 09:06 PM
ther a new technic now called i think dry ice blasting tramontana do it as well as industrial sand blasting www.tramblast.com (http://www.tramblast.com) there email b.tram@hotmail.co.uk

mowgli
18-05-10, 09:42 PM
we had a couple of blokes sand blast a lorry trailer. they use silver sand (the stuff they use on block paving to fill the cracks.. it is very fine grit & not actually that harsh, they stripped the paint off some ally sheet too & it didn't make a mark..

Iain
18-05-10, 09:43 PM

There's no underseal left on it, the nearest thing is Hammerite stonechip out of rattle cans which is just like thick paint. Gotta be some way to get it back to bare metal - I've spent hours on one arch and it's not even finished yet.

dan23
18-05-10, 10:03 PM
if you could put the shell on a spit an turn it on its side it would probably work ok
have you tried warming it up with either a blow torch or heat gun then going over with wire brush on drill its messy but works

Iain
18-05-10, 10:05 PM
I can get the car on its side no problems, it's just very very time consuming and noisy getting it back to 100% bare metal. Warming Hammerite up won't do a great deal will it!?