PDA

View Full Version : *INFO* Window Tints

Jack
18-05-10, 11:26 AM
"What is the legal level of window tint?" is a question that gets asked regularly on the forum, and answers usually seem vague at best. So, for reference, here is the current legal tinting requirements.

The Law
Source: VOSA documentation, October 2008
Vehicles used before 01/04/85:
70% light transmission on windscreen (i.e. 30% max tint)
70% light transmission on front sides (i.e. 30% max tint)

Vehicles used on/after 01/04/85:
75% light transmission on windscreen (i.e. 25% max tint)
70% light transmission on front sides (i.e. 30% max tint)

Any window behind the front sides can be any level of tint.

It is illegal to use a vehicle which does not comply
It is illegal to supply and fit tints that do not comply
It is illegal to sell a vehicle which does not comply

Also, bear in mind even clear glass restricts light throughput to a small degree. So a 30% tint may not allow full 70% light throughput.

The Penalties
Source: VOSA communications, 2004; Police operatives, 2008
There's a few ways the law can deal with tinted windows, listed here from simplest to most severe:

1. Verbal Warning
2. VDRS (Vehicle Defect Rectification System)
3. Fixed Penalty
4. Prohibition Notice
5. Ways & Means Act
6. Court Summons

First is pointless, as the driver will probably just ignore it lol.
Second option is the 14 day to fix thing.
Third is £60 and 3pts and may be issued along with 2 or 4.
Fourth is the vehicle getting impounded asap thing
Fifth allows the driver to rectify the fault on the spot with no further penalty
Sixth is a bit extreme but still an option; it leaves you open to falling foul of Construction & Use regulations which carry big fines.

Option 2, 3 and 4 are the most common/most likely.

BEAR IN MIND an officer/VOSA operative does NOT need to measure the tint level. If they decide the "level of visibility of the surroundings has been obscured to the extent that the 'danger of injury' criterion has been met", they can act. If they think its close, they can get the driver "to investigate further" (probably by issuing a VDRS).

Sloth
24-05-10, 08:05 PM
not to pick fault but the last part is different to what i was told by a traffic cop, he showed me his instructions and it stated he has to use a light measurment device on all windows. possibly to avoid incorrect evidence? i have had mine and tania's windows measured.

Nova_Sean
24-05-10, 08:11 PM
Seen it on traffic cops where the copper measured the windows. was letting something like 13% light through! Bad times!

Adam
24-05-10, 08:13 PM
The fronts on my Mk4 were letting through 59% of light IIRC.
I had to remove them there and then, or the car would get impounded.

And that was the lightest tint you could buy off the shelf.....

The glass is originally tinted, and only lets through around 75% of light with NO tint attached, so not suprisingly really.

Lee
24-05-10, 08:16 PM
not to pick fault but the last part is different to what i was told by a traffic cop, he showed me his instructions and it stated he has to use a light measurment device on all windows. possibly to avoid incorrect evidence? i have had mine and tania's windows measured.

Traffic cops and VOSA testers are totally different kettles of fish. Police need evidence to deem your vehicle unroadworthy. VOSA boys are all essentially on the spot MOTers and have the power to deem your car unroadworthy on the spot just by using their eyes.

Sloth
24-05-10, 09:22 PM
ahh ok, no worries