PDA

View Full Version : help petrol in oil

danzel
17-05-10, 10:59 PM
hi,i keep geting petrol in my oil,i have c20let with hybrid turbo upgrade,phase 2 chip runing 17psi,saab reds,fuel reg set at 2.8.any ideas please help

Lee
17-05-10, 10:59 PM
Sounds horribly like bore wash pal. Might have a sticky injector and its eaten one of your rings. Is it smoking much?

MattBrown
17-05-10, 11:00 PM
What makes you say its petrol?

water sits in oil the same, and is very hard to distinguish.

Lee
17-05-10, 11:01 PM
What makes you say its petrol?

water sits in oil the same, and is very hard to distinguish.

Not when its mixed up in an engine it doesnt. Water curdles the oil, petrol doesnt.

danzel
17-05-10, 11:02 PM
is that bad newz?WOULD IT BE BETA WITH STANDARD INJECTORS IN

Lee
17-05-10, 11:04 PM
If you've washed a bore its ruined i'm afraid. needs stripping and re-honing, and the shells will need changing as a precaution.

Bear in mind this is only a theory, but I have been there myself.

danzel
17-05-10, 11:04 PM
Cause Petrol Fumes Come Out Of My Catch Tank And If You Take Oil Cap Of It Stinks Of Petrol

Lee
17-05-10, 11:05 PM
Best way to diagnose my theory is to get the injectors tested and do a compression test.

danzel
17-05-10, 11:07 PM
it bin like this since last year at santa pod,what will happen if i keep usin it

Lee
17-05-10, 11:09 PM
it bin like this since last year at santa pod,what will happen if i keep usin it

Is it blowing blue smoke? If its not, I may be wrong. As i said, do a comp test and get the injectors tested.

Petrol thins the oil and drastically reduces its lubricating properties. The more you run it, the more damage you're doing.

danzel
17-05-10, 11:10 PM
well i had the injectors cleaned before i put them and 1 wos blocked,so i mit be best putting standard ones back in and get compession tested

scott.parker
17-05-10, 11:10 PM
Humm, if it's Very excessive in smell then it's as lee say's, but if it's slight then it's possibly not totally fooked, as when i did a oil change on mine it smelt a bit of fuel.

Scott

danzel
17-05-10, 11:12 PM
yeah it woz blue smoking a bit last night ,the turbo had new internals in last year

16v Nova Kev
17-05-10, 11:52 PM
if it was me i would be changing the oil like really soon.

blue_peg_16v
18-05-10, 12:05 AM
tbf lees probably right reds are to big with the mild mods you have the standard injectors would of been fine

Lee
18-05-10, 11:57 AM
tbf lees probably right reds are to big with the mild mods you have the standard injectors would of been fine

Thats true, i didnt pay any attention to the spec to be fair.

Stuart
18-05-10, 12:05 PM
or the stupid text typing

L14MNP
18-05-10, 12:06 PM
I read the 1st page and now have returned.

My hat is firmly in the bore washed circle.

Sloth
18-05-10, 12:16 PM
worse case scenario? the petrol ignites in the crank case, and blows the engine apart.

basic way of saying this: your into lots of money. follow the above advice and tell us what you get. and turn caps lock off. ;)

Stuart
18-05-10, 12:20 PM
worse case scenario? the petrol ignites in the crank case, and blows the engine apart.

EPICLY, HUGELY unlikely (afr would be off the scale for combustion to occur).... although saying that you are bound to know someone (or infact be that someone) who its happened to lol

craig green
18-05-10, 12:34 PM
A quick bit of research shows you should have std fuel pressure if running reds on phase 2. however, that would still mean its going to overfuel at idle & lower throttle openings imo.

I'd be more tempted to use the std yellows & run a higher fuel pressure with them.

Another issue might be that the reds are dirty & have a bad spray pattern, the fuel dosent atomise properly in the cylinders & therfore some goes unburnt, maybe even hitting the back of the inlet & pooling in the ports.

Will F
18-05-10, 03:17 PM
Before jumping on the bore wash band wagon - I would question your diagnosis! All oil smells a 'bit' like fuel - my catch tank smells of fuel and oil and general car-related smells...

Also I would bet that if most of us were to sniff there oil filler cap/inside of the head (never tried but I might now) that you would smell fuel....

Even if you had a seeping/sweating fuel line in the engine bay I would say that pretty much everything would smell off fuel - inclusing the horn, battery, radiator and headlights! lol

ALSO.... you wont really tell until you drain the oil - if you are getting bore wash the oil capacity will be hoooge and it will be REALLY thin