PDA

View Full Version : MOT Failure - Explanation Required

DaveB
30-04-03, 01:38 PM
My Nova GSI recently failed its MOT, because of the omissions.

The garage told me that they checked the Engine Code on the computer database (Presumibaly National Database or something) whilst undertakening the MOT & it said that this particular engine should have a CAT.

I explainded to them that it was an engine transplant from a GSI into a 1200 shell.

So my question is firstly what engine codes do they use? (LET ? or chasie No. ?)
What database are they on about?

To resolve the problem I took it into my local Powerflow dealer (As they installed my full Powerflow exhaust system), & they said they should not be using this engine code & said when undertakening the MOT it should be put through as a default (i.e. engine code not known).

Anyway i didnt ask much more as they passed it through the MOT. :P

Could someone explain the default aswell? :?:

Thanks for your help
http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=390

Aragorn
30-04-03, 02:13 PM
which engine u using

the C16SE (late GSi's with multec injection) is a CAT registered engine

this means if its in a car that was registered AFTER august 1992 it must be tested for emissions using the cat test

if u were to fit that engine to a 1.2carb shell registered on say june 1990 then even tho the engine can be tested, it doesnt need to be cos the car aint past that date and they'd run it on the normal emissions test

also - if u fitted the E16SE or one of the carb engines (pre-cat version from GTE) to a newer car, it would also be tested on the normal emmissions test since the engine its self is not capable of operating with a catalyst

Dicko
30-04-03, 02:48 PM
its whichever is older, tell them they are talking shit, or, go to another garage. iv never had this prob!!!!

Alex
30-04-03, 05:13 PM
if a car is meant to have a CAT and can pass the emmisions test without one does it have to still be there?

Will
30-04-03, 05:27 PM
nope, lol

wot abt ppl running modern cars like pugs with twin carbs and also no cat, lol@ their emissions test!

DaveB
30-04-03, 07:35 PM
Its a K plate car with (I believe) a 1990 GSI engine in it.
(Previous owner did transplant)

Aragorn
30-04-03, 08:40 PM
1990 GSi engine is the E16SE and cant even use a cat :roll:

Ballsy
30-04-03, 10:43 PM
u will find that its up 2 the mot tester!!! alot of ppl ask this question and get loads ov differnt answers!!! theres an mot site (canny mind the addy) and am sure that says that any car after 1992 must have a cat, but some ppl get away with it on the 93 models!! like i said down 2 the mot inspector

Ballsy

mikeoxford
30-04-03, 11:01 PM
either refit a standard zorst to pass the retest or take it elsewhere ;)