PDA

View Full Version : e16se cam - Help

Nathan-D
17-05-10, 08:19 PM
jus got an E16se engine for my nova and stripped it down. want to rebuild with a higher spec camshaft but dont really know which is best or what all the specs mean! getting head ported and polished need all the help i can get as i dont really have a clue which is best just want better performance!!!

gazsnova
17-05-10, 08:24 PM
are you going to be rebuilding the bottom end aswell?
i have 2 cams for sale at the moment. drop me a pm if your intersted.
this might be some help- http://www.streetracersonline.com/articles/camshafts/ (just something i quickly googled)

Nathan-D
17-05-10, 08:32 PM
not sure yet mate i just thought if i put a cam in and get head dun its quickest an cheapest way of gaining power i just dont have clue on what camshafts are good and what arent

gazsnova
17-05-10, 08:36 PM
have a read of that link so you gain some idea of the terminology-
im sure some other members will have some say on what cams to use/ they prefer. it does depend on how responsive you want the engine to be/ type of application (road, rally, circuit racing)
i would seriously considering rebuilding the bottom end or get it checked out if its not already been done before.
changing top end components for increase in power can have adverse effects on the bottom end.
i should know i went through enough engines trying different things out. lol

Nathan-D
17-05-10, 08:41 PM
what would you reccomend doing tot he engine then i have a limited budget so cant go to far but i just need the knowledge of how to gain performance. i just want a fast road cam and any other ideas you may have on how i can gain performance

gazsnova
17-05-10, 08:46 PM
ok short and sweet fast road cam, vernier pulley, head work and set it up on a rolling road using a gas analiser/ garage with the equipment to do so.
if you can do something to the exhaust side to create a better flow then i would recommend getting a 4-2-1 manifold if your budget will allow.

oh and a few oil change services, spark plugs etc.

Nathan-D
17-05-10, 08:52 PM
what cams you got for sale mate? ive got a powerflow exhaust and was looking at a better mainfold thanx for the advice though. If i could afford it what would you have done to the bottom end?

gazsnova
17-05-10, 08:59 PM
have a look in the parts for sale thread mate its in there( look for my name)
as for the bottom end the minimum id do would be to replace the bearing shells (main and big ends)- maybe with slighty oversize bearings if the caps are worn. measure out the bores and the piston rings and decide whether it requires a rebore with oversize pistons and rings.

what sort of mileage has the engine covered? any history on how it was treated/ uesd?

Nathan-D
17-05-10, 09:02 PM
not a clue mate myt be best to strip bottom end down neway n check it out it came from a scrap yard so bin stood for a while, i only really know basics about these engines just wanted to have a go at doing it myself appreciate the advice tho mate

gazsnova
17-05-10, 09:08 PM
no worries mate. help is always on hand here.
just ask away. pictures sometimes help if your not sure on how things should look/be
:thumb:

Nick
18-05-10, 06:31 PM
If you're running the EFI i would stay away from anything too lairy, it simply wont like it.

I have a 278Degree NVO Kent Camshaft for sale which is actually designed for the EFi OHC engines - I ran it for about 6 months on my 1600 T40 and it was nice and driveable. Pm me if you're interested.

Nathan-D
30-05-10, 12:24 PM
any other suggestions any1?

Nathan-D
21-06-10, 11:16 AM