PDA

View Full Version : Damn wheel wobble

j00mes
17-05-10, 01:25 AM
:wtf: Ware do i begin? I have a 92' merit 1.2 (standard) with very annoying wheel wobble between 50mph and 60 mph and after 60 it is less recognisable. happens when accelerating, braking and when eased of accelerator at said speeds!
wheel wieghts and alignment have been checked as has suspension. Had vauxhall look at it (now skint:cry: ) they said they couldnt find any problems, typical!
Any help wud be appreciated :d

Jack
17-05-10, 01:39 AM
Getting any excessive noise?

brownbear
17-05-10, 02:10 AM
Could be a multitude of things. I'm not 100% on the set up of the nova but on a dub i'd look at the following...

wheel bearings
steering rack
track rod ends
warped discs
wishbones
funked bushes/bush

djshaggeh
17-05-10, 09:01 AM
Take it to a good tyre place and get them to balence the wheels. Make sure you stand by the machine and watch them do it. There is two rails either side of the wheel and should come up on the screen as 'OK' on both sides.

If that doesn't work, then work through the list that raddo has provided, add top mounts to that list too.

mowgli
17-05-10, 10:06 AM
did you get anyone to check the rear wheels??? a knackered tyre or a buckled rim will have some pretty shocking symptoms

j00mes
18-05-10, 11:45 AM
Cheers guys:thumb: , wheel bearings just been done and had new suspension put on, shox etc. will take it to get wheels balanced 1st (cheapest 1st) then work my way thru list. No noise with wobble although lots of things are starting to rattle lol will keep posted what my findings are. Thanks again

AlexW
18-05-10, 06:11 PM
Cant remember exactly what my tigra was like, but i had a off shape tyre and it caused vibrations etc.

djshaggeh
18-05-10, 06:21 PM
Yeh thats right AW06. Visually check the tyre. If the tyre has wear check to make sure its even all the way round if its not then its out of shape. Also rrun your hands down both the inner and outer edges of the tyre. Sometimes they twist on the wheel causing a stepped effect and that will cause a vibration.

Nick
18-05-10, 06:25 PM
Usually, if something is loose it'l often dissapear under load; which this isn't.

I'd stick a cheap pair of disks on there, Completely warped a set of front disks on an Evo 6 at oulton park and it pretty much caused exactly the same problems as you're describing - Except this was shaking me out of the seat.

Leeboo
18-05-10, 07:57 PM
Just maybe try another set of vauxhall wheels/tyres on if you can to rule the tyres out, maybe a very slight bulge that can't be detected visually?

djshaggeh
18-05-10, 09:16 PM
I'm 99.9% sure its your wheel balancing thats causing your problems. I didn't read your original post properly :roll: lol

If your wheels were buckeled then it would vibrate constantly. Same if your tyre was out of shape or twisted.

It won't be your tracking, that won't cause a wheel wobble. symptoms are the steering wheel to be off centre, the car to pull to one side or start wearing the tyres unevenly.

Get the balance checked out again.

mowgli
18-05-10, 09:35 PM
shaggeh, i've had rear wheels where the tyre has partially collapsed & there is a bump like a cam lobe. due to the suspension characteristics, it gets worse or better depending on the road speed

djshaggeh
18-05-10, 10:30 PM
I have seen that before, I'm sure. Did it have a raised section in the tread that was more worn then the rest of the tyre, kind of like an egg?

It's usually caused by impact damage, the raised section is due to air getting into the construction of the tyre, above the cords. Like you say, it makes sense that it gets worse or better dependent of speed. I haven't really ever thought about it before. Tyre fitters don't get paid to think lol

Either way any good tyre fitter should be able to diagnose the problem using a balencer. As the tyre spins on the machine, they shouldn't only be checking the balence but also visually checking the wheel and tyre is spinning true.

mowgli
18-05-10, 10:32 PM
the actuall steel belted bit just got wonky and instead of being flat across the tread, in one place, it was curved, and was maybe 1/2" out of shape...

Blackie_No1
18-05-10, 10:39 PM
I would say it's most likely wheel balancing. When I used to fit Tyres I had a punter come into me with similar symptoms, there was two sets of wieghts on the one side of the rim at different points!! A good tyre fitter would get a weight and work between the two points until they get the OK symbol as stated above.

Also cheapest wheel balancing may not be the best idea. Bigger firms tend to get thier machines calibrated more often than "Kerbside Tyres"

djshaggeh
18-05-10, 10:40 PM
Sounds like a defective tyre tbh.

Out of interest, how did you diagnose it and what make was it?

Sorry to be a sad **** but hopefully one day I might be good at one of my jobs lol!

16v Nova Kev
18-05-10, 10:42 PM
i would say warped disks of fooked tyres.

mowgli
18-05-10, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a defective tyre tbh.

Out of interest, how did you diagnose it and what make was it?

Sorry to be a sad **** but hopefully one day I might be good at one of my jobs lol!

once on a goodyear, back in the early nineties, and last month on a michelin on a 205 diesel..

the first time, i thought a damper was failing & a mate was chasing me down the road & when we stopped, asked me why my wheel was going all over the place. it was odd cos below 50 it was fine, then it shook up to 70 & then went smooth again, so it was obviously beating the damper.

djshaggeh
18-05-10, 10:45 PM
there was two sets of wieghts on the one side of the rim at different points!!

Counter-balanced, its the incorrect way of doing things. There should only be weights on one point on each rail, inner and outer. I've been fitting tyres on and off for the past 8 years and I still don't know why this is the wrong way of doing things, but it is. Can anyone enlighten me?

floydy13
18-05-10, 10:53 PM
see it alot where i work where people have not took off the original weight when re-balancing a wheel, and they add to it. when ever i re-balance a wheel, i;ll spin it up 1st to see how far its out, and check the tyre at the same point, for being out of shape. then take off all the weight and start again. does sound like youve got a dodgy tyre mate, could be something else though.

AlexW
19-05-10, 01:13 AM
Mine didnt start until you hit about 50-60 iirc, and went about 80-90.

j00mes
21-05-10, 04:13 PM
Rite chaps, more or less got it sorted!!
Changed discs an pads, no better(needed new ones anyway:d . So, i went back to the place where i got my wheels balanced and said it was worse than before, so they did them again but this time noticed one of the wheels was slightly out of shape (by 75grams i think!)lol swapped wheels rwnd an put ****e one on bak an now no wheel wobble, well, a little tiny bit:) Anyone got a set of wheels for a nova for sale lol
Cheers guys for all your feedback at least i now know it wasnt me that fooked it up :thumb:

djshaggeh
22-05-10, 01:35 AM
I thought as much. Glad you got it sorted :)