PDA

View Full Version : best way to roughly set an engine up

Asa-James
16-05-10, 10:40 PM
got my motor running, need to give it a rough set up before i can take it to work and set it up properly

1.2 carb'd running pierburg 2e3 and 1300 camshaft, frankenstein exhaust...

i've lost my timing light, but i know its timed up belt wise. best ways/tips to get it something like? how many turns on the mixture screw etc

many cheers :thumb:

burgo
16-05-10, 11:15 PM
to be honest the best way you will have of getting it set somewhere near is by driving it and checking the condition of the plugs. i assume you know about the little notch on the dizzy to get the ignition timing almost right?

Asa-James
16-05-10, 11:29 PM
aye its pretty much on the money, just with having put the carb and cam in i dont know if its underfueling too much, and i dont want to kill or cook anything taking it to work this week

burgo
16-05-10, 11:33 PM
just dont drive it hard then and you wont fry it

garyc
17-05-10, 06:51 AM
without a timing light the ignition timing could be miles out.

mowgli
17-05-10, 01:17 PM
ASA, history lesson time...... why do you think its called tuning??? cos people did it by ear.....

and they also scratched a mark where the dizzy meets the cam carrier......

simply loosen the bolt & (with it running) turn the dizzy towards the rear of the car(clockwise from the dizzy end) until you hear it start pinking... then back it off a touch. then try revving it. if it revs up clean, yippee, or back it off a touch more etc until it does..

or as per the title...... get us lot to have a go at the nats

burgo
17-05-10, 03:05 PM
without a timing light the ignition timing could be miles out.with the timing light its miles out lmao. i only ever set mine as mowgli just described, and how it feels when driving

jimbob-mcgrew
17-05-10, 04:22 PM
check the condition of the plugs for the fueling side.

and keep an eye on the temp gauge for the timing, if its too advanced it'll be a tad hot on the gauge.

i wouldnt go mad on the mixture screw, sometimes it only needs a tweak. as your running the 1.3 cam tho, its gonna be out from the standard setting. id reccomend getting yourself a colourtune kit to set it up. but without, u can turn it half turn at a time and keep checking the plugs till they look normal-ish and fine tune it from there. :thumb:

Sloth
17-05-10, 06:00 PM
jet wise, get a nova haynes and it lists the jet sizes. then get a drill bit and open your jets out.