PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! - poss engine prob!

ade
29-04-03, 11:19 PM
:evil: GRRRRR :evil: Just when I thought everything was ok!

Had new engine fitted last Friday (1.4 fitted with weber 32/34 carb) - been taking it VERY easy (averaging 55mph on motorway!) no hard acceleration and all seemed to be running fine.

Checked water yesterday and topped header up a little "just incase".

Car starts 1st time etc...

But last night and today I noticed something strange...

When in 5th (around about 50) the car stars to kangaroo - jumps about like its itching to go faster! So I change down (decelerate to 40) and it still does it!

Worse is when I come off the motorway come to my 1st set of lights it stalls completely! Tomight it stalled at every set of lights aswell as stalling when I was changing down gear! (usually from 3rd to 2nd etc)!

Now I'm wondering if this is linked to my temp gauge being sat at 1/2 way for last few days. Im gonna buy a new thermostat tomorrow. It just seems to happen when its warmed up.

Haynes reckons that stalling is due to incorrect carb (weber 32/34) set up or timing being out which is possible coz fuel seems to be dropping a bit - it also soundsl like its splittering a little (engine note rises and drops) at idle.

Oil levels fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

burgo
29-04-03, 11:23 PM
does sound like carb prob praps needs setting up and or timing get ya timin light on it and check

Dicko
29-04-03, 11:24 PM
air leak on weber carb/inlet gasket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jatinder
29-04-03, 11:56 PM
Yeah check if you can hear a sucking noise as you rev it, also could be you carb needs look at if it keep kangerooing as it might not have enough fuel going in, fuel pump?

ade
30-04-03, 12:11 AM
been speaking with aragorn n mike (cheers guys) - they reckon wither needs a ruddy good boot to clear out sh1te or just carb cleaned/carb air leak.

Will put to test tomorrow

Ade

Neil.
30-04-03, 12:22 AM
feel sorry for ya ade, uve had nothing but problems!

ade
30-04-03, 12:32 AM
cheers m8 :(

Snowface
30-04-03, 08:59 AM
sounds a bit like the head gasket has gone. Is water going into 1 cylinder? Only working on 3?

Nova-Boy
30-04-03, 09:59 AM
Might sound daft but is it drawing in air through the brake servo pipe? Would be a bit obvious cos your brakes would be pants. :?

Dicko
30-04-03, 10:02 AM
im 99% sure as iv already said it will be sucking air between the carb and inlet. iv had this exact same problem with same symptoms with this carb, was forever bloody coming loose til i put loctite on the bolts

Stuart
30-04-03, 10:05 AM
also when running in you dont need to stay nder a certain speed, jsut dont rev the nuts off the engine for any particular length of time, a reasonable thrash will get good oil pressure everywhere, and also clean out the shitte that will had got there from low speed motoring.

Dicko
30-04-03, 10:27 AM
its not new its just newly fitted, long as everything is secure id go for it :)

ade
30-04-03, 11:16 AM
yeah - gonna give it a good run today. Off Thursday so will try and sort out then. Got it booked into my usual mechanic Monday for a quick check on timing, fit thermostat, temp sensor and check carb air intake.

I'd do them meself but dont have time or tools - moving house so its all packed away.

Ade

:roll:

ade
30-04-03, 03:10 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Drove to work this morning - warmed car up - accelerated to about 80 - gradual acceleration and...

engine died! Totally dead! It popped then stalled!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Let it sit for a bit - tried to turn it - nothing! So I'm thinking its the same prob when cam pin snapped!

Called AA - arrived in 30 mins - checked cam - all fine (thankfully).

Checked dizzy - all NOT ok.

Turns out the dog drive pin (a little pin worth ?4.99 that joins the dizzy unit to the engine) had snapped.

AA man replaced it - paid ?4.99 and I was back on the road.

:D

Booked it into the garage on Monday though to get thermostat, temp sensor changed and inlet manifold checked (leaking air). AA man said the kangarooing might have caused it to snap but more likely wear and tear.

Bloody car!

:roll:

Nova-Boy
30-04-03, 03:17 PM
Shame. Makes you wanna give up and not look at it ever again doesn't it!! Hope you get it all working. Or just do the unspeakable and get a newer car! :roll:

locky
30-04-03, 05:34 PM
Ade, caught this post late sorry!
i had this prob! i changed the coil, it was shorting, must have had a hairlinc crack! i had a good look but couldnt see nething!, so i changed it with leads! runs mint now!
Although mine didnt get 2 stalling stage!
Nice 2 see its fixed m8!

Fester
30-04-03, 08:16 PM
Turns out the dog drive pin (a little pin worth ?4.99 that joins the dizzy unit to the engine) had snapped.

i had this before on the white one RAC man came and it was one of the first things he checked!

reckoned it was a 'once in a motoring lifetime' that this would happen lol he made a replacement in this little vice thing and i was on my way again!

theres just no way you would normally even consider this

mikeoxford
30-04-03, 11:12 PM
ok so i was close then ade :)

i did mention eletrical / timing issue on MSN !

and if its the dizzy - i werent far off! :twisted:

ade
01-05-03, 12:38 PM
lol Mike - not far off m8!

Took car out for a spin today - its a bitch to start now - starts 1st time but is spluttery and stalls until its warmed up (got to pull choke ruight out!)

Defo think its a carb set up/air/fuel thing.

:?

Will find out Monday...

Ade