PDA

View Full Version : How to convert to 5stud

CoupeLET
14-05-10, 05:54 PM
As above, but i only have a smallblock 1.0 lol

Apart from fitting a big block engine, is there any other way to convert it so i can use cav turbo wheels on my car?

Many thanks:thumb:

AlexW
14-05-10, 06:01 PM
Have a bit of a search, Basically its not doable without LOTS of mucking about, cutting/welding shafts etc.

craig green
14-05-10, 06:03 PM
You'll need welded/sleeved shafts. Not too much of an issue with the torque involved.

AlexW
14-05-10, 06:07 PM
Are you implying a 1.0 has ANY torque? lol

Still need to get it right, dont want shaft wobble.... nobody likes that lol

MK999
14-05-10, 06:12 PM
wouldnt 22spline GTE shafts and small block inners big block outers work?

AlexW
14-05-10, 06:14 PM
wouldnt 22spline GTE shafts and small block inners big block outers work?

No, as per any other nova, there 28spline outer.

craig green
14-05-10, 06:18 PM
Are you implying a 1.0 has ANY torque? lol

Still need to get it right, dont want shaft wobble.... nobody likes that lol

Done right, sleeving 2 shafts together ought to be successful. Its power that will kill them & you have none.
You want them on a lathe to keep them straight & weld them around gradually.

I knew of a LET'd Pug 306 done like this, it's still going.

AlexW
14-05-10, 06:20 PM
True, i know of cars with cut and shut shafts that have run like that for years without issues.

Get it wrong (so like somebody at home in there garage with a grinder and welder and it will end up wrong) and it could end up badly.

MK999
14-05-10, 06:26 PM
All depends how you weld them, any increase in material like sleeving, although it looks stronger, introduces geometric stress concentrations and the shafts snap either side of the sleeving. Welding them actually heat treats the metal and it becomes harder due to the rapid heating/cooling in a localised area, so decent welded shafts would be a perfectly penetrated weld without sleeving that gets heat treated after, which is near on impossible and why they always snap lol

Somewhere halfway to that would do for a 1.0 though

And yeah just remembered 22 spline shafts are for using small outers and big inners.

MattBrown
14-05-10, 07:49 PM
Use gte shafts the opposite way?

Swap the cvs round?

So buy big block outers, and small block inners?

OR doesnt it work?

MK999
14-05-10, 07:50 PM
Use gte shafts the opposite way?

Swap the cvs round?

So buy big block outers, and small block inners?

OR doesnt it work?

only if big block inners work in the hubs, which they do not, nice try, similar mistake to me lol

AlexW
14-05-10, 07:51 PM
If big block outers (as needed when doing the normal setup) have 22 splines then?

MattBrown
14-05-10, 07:54 PM
If big block outers (as needed when doing the normal setup) have 22 splines then?

Need to see cav cv's

Benn works in a motorfactors doesnt he? He will knowlol

AlexW
14-05-10, 07:56 PM
Im sure somebody must know how many spline outer cv's are, i was under the impression they are 22spline, and nova being 28 as standard.

MattBrown
14-05-10, 08:00 PM
Im sure somebody must know how many spline outer cv's are, i was under the impression they are 22spline, and nova being 28 as standard.

That will work then?

Nova 22/28 spline GTE shafts.

Using the 28 spline end as an inner, and the 22 spline as an outer, with the bigblock hubs:thumb:

AlexW
14-05-10, 08:02 PM
I think your right yes. Best idea you have ever had most likly :p

blue_peg_16v
14-05-10, 08:09 PM
no it wont as big block shafts hav a greater diamiter the reason the cav inners work it the fit small block shafts but are big block you cant use astre gte inners on a 22 spline shaft has to be the cav ones

MattBrown
14-05-10, 08:16 PM
no it wont as big block shafts hav a greater diamiter the reason the cav inners work it the fit small block shafts but are big block you cant use astre gte inners on a 22 spline shaft has to be the cav ones

English?lol

MattBrown
14-05-10, 08:16 PM
I think your right yes. Best idea you have ever had most likly :p

Probably one of the good oneslol

Sloth
14-05-10, 08:17 PM
the shaft isnt thick enough. like your winky in a ladys bits lol

call recoprop and get some one off shafts.

MattBrown
14-05-10, 08:20 PM
the shaft isnt thick enough. like your winky in a ladys bits lol

call recoprop and get some one off shafts.

Just weld them yourself, its 45bhp ffslol

Sloth
14-05-10, 08:25 PM
having sen the mess a welded shaft makes, no ta. its down to revolutions btw not powahhh

blue_peg_16v
14-05-10, 08:44 PM
English?lol

wont work go to dunces corner

CoupeLET
14-05-10, 09:12 PM
Tbh with you all i dont really understand where im upto now, can i not put big block cv's onto smallblock shafts, so have big block outers and small block inners? Or how about getting the hub re-drilled to 5-stud? then obviously just fit 5 stud brakes

MattBrown
14-05-10, 09:17 PM
having sen the mess a welded shaft makes, no ta. its down to revolutions btw not powahhh

Ahh tidy, ill go weld some shafts up for a 400bhp letlol

Power will snap em, its only if theyre not balanced rpm will affect them:wtf:

craig green
14-05-10, 09:40 PM
can i not put big block cv's onto smallblock shafts?

so have big block outers and small block inners?

Or how about getting the hub re-drilled to 5-stud? then obviously just fit 5 stud brakes

NO

NO (thats why you need custom shafts)

Deffo NO

Seriously, if you want to do it, give half an Astra shaft & half the Nova shafts to either reco-prop or someone who has done it before & get them to join it up so that with the CV's fitted, the new shafts all measure up the same length.

Benn
14-05-10, 09:46 PM
Right,

Nova gsi shaft.

22spline inner (gearbox) and 28spline outer (hub.

"big block" Cvs are 34 iirc spline where the shaft connects, and 33 spline in the hub.

You'd need cut and welded or custom shafts.

No you cant turn shafts around.

Sloth
14-05-10, 11:41 PM
Ahh tidy, ill go weld some shafts up for a 400bhp letlol

Power will snap em, its only if theyre not balanced rpm will affect them:wtf:
i didnt mean it like that, i meant the mess is made due to the rpm the shaft is turning, i.e if you are doing 70 mph the shaft is doing the same speed. now imagine it snapping and the free end rotating like a flail.:eek:

think of it this way. if you punch a wall with a fist speed of 2mph it will probably hurt and cut the skin. now hit it at 30mph, it will probably break your hand. the faster your going the more damage the spinning shaft will do. it also depends on the type of joint employed, some hold the shaft central, others allow it to flop. thats when it can become dangerous.

the only thing balancing does is quicken the failure time, due to a harmonic inbalance.

and power as in bhp means nothing, its the torque (twisting force) that snaps shafts. hence why diesels are more likely to snap a shaft. more torque. :thumb:

MattBrown
14-05-10, 11:43 PM
Right,

Nova gsi shaft.

22spline inner (gearbox) and 28spline outer (hub.

"big block" Cvs are 34 iirc spline where the shaft connects, and 33 spline in the hub.

You'd need cut and welded or custom shafts.

No you cant turn shafts around.

At least I had an idea, more than mostlol