PDA

View Full Version : E16se baffle plate

novalovingned
13-05-10, 10:28 PM
Long story short, had my sump off and on twice now trying to get it to stop leaking on the back edge.

Ive used new gaskets and still no seal. What im getting at is, is it safe to take the baffle plate out and just use one gasket? I believe that some didnt come with the baffle plate. What does it actually do?

Damo
13-05-10, 10:31 PM
Long story short, had my sump off and on twice now trying to get it to stop leaking on the back edge.

Ive used new gaskets and still no seal. What im getting at is, is it safe to take the baffle plate out and just use one gasket? I believe that some didnt come with the baffle plate. What does it actually do?

It stops oil starvation when cornering hard mate id try keepit in if you can better to have it than not.

craig green
13-05-10, 10:34 PM
Are you thinking the baffle plate isnt flat?

novalovingned
13-05-10, 10:53 PM
Are you thinking the baffle plate isnt flat?

Yeah mate, either that or the sump might be warped? Its fine when the oil is cold, its when it heats and thins it really starts to leak.

And cheers damen :)

garyc
14-05-10, 06:28 AM
take it off, clean it (with degreaser) and get some of the black silicon sealer, then reassemble.

Will F
14-05-10, 08:39 AM
I would say its more likely to have a hair-line crack on it somewhere - probably where the bolts have been overtightened....

mowgli
14-05-10, 12:24 PM
clean out all your breathers too

novalovingned
16-05-10, 08:31 PM
Ive checked all the breathers and as suspected there fine due to the car doing 60 minutes since the rebuild.

I then took of the sumps etc to find the cork gaskets are flat as a pancake lol
Suspected of tightened, didnt realsise they were suppost to be nipped up to 10nm lol

They were done 2 years ago and the engine lay in the corner since :)