PDA

View Full Version : Fitting EPAS Power Steering

novacabrio
13-05-10, 08:10 PM
Basiccly i'm looking at fitting EPAS into the Nova using Corsa B steering colum, and before people start i've done the searching but can't get answers that are 100% from people that have done it. Hoping that I can gather all the info here for future people searching!!!

The wiring isn't an issue from what I can make out it seems straight forward (will post up diagrams when I get it all finished and running). 4 Plugs out of the ecu, 2 go to the colum. One is Live and earth the other one is 5 wires, 3 to the speed sensor, one to the rev counter and one to some where else that escapes my mind at the moment.

I intend to wire it in using a transducer but want to use the right one. I've been told that the wrong one can result in it being to light at speed but ok at normal driving. But then I can fit a switch to turn it off at speed. If I get the right one will it make it light for normal driving and parking etc and heavy at speed? Or will I still need a switch? If so what is the right one? I have a sensor from off a 1.4 SPI which is an AA code but i've been reading AJ and AK is needed from a 1.2spi? Surely can't be that much differnce?

Has anyone done it to a Nova and reused a standard steering colum cover and lock etc? Will I need to make something?

Fitting the mechainical side of it, the colum fits but I need to play with the UJ in the colum which isnt a problem. I have the original mount from the corsa but I can lower the bolts on the existing colum and fit it with that so no welding on that is needed from what I can make out.

The fuse box also needs moving but this is just a case of pushing it to one side and not a case of masively rewiring the whole fuse box? Any comments on this?

Will post up the pics that I have gathered so far of peoples work.

novacabrio
13-05-10, 08:26 PM
Pics

Mounted to standard Nova colum mount, but lowered

http://ryg9cq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pYoISZhK4eRjTAVskgusSCT-brwl8HaLoMFHKcG_v9IOUyksIUsZSNSd9ip3rSTvDrtaIy-kJz8JZwAnN2Xe21Le2AlSF5GB8/100_1159.jpg

using the Corsa Mount (I think this may be Joff's and alot lower for the Corsa dash??!!)

http://ryg9cq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pcoVSkCsBhjzeFP2iLb2iUITabnntzsACRzXM5Knymq3QAMm 4dAX7gjdU4Qk-z_bTK4c_dnJMT_3t-DL6wmbhAO5zbePWsljy/column2a.jpg

http://ryg9cq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1poevC32hHySCa_NJD69RqXVVO90cI0Fyr8rYy2eRZbQE7Y5V raOIj4DDpyw803uW8kfJ8R-7ioikYYO5ET6akKIM9Tj1cjztU/column3a.jpg

2 colums side by side, looking at this I think if I can get the lock barel and the mount for it off a Nova colum I can use it and then use the colum cover?

http://ryg9cq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pNlL8eRYCCqR4qxa7C7kj6aT6NKoCuapLyr5c_S9W0Yk4332 ap6ixztMQy72stPYHCdMKueTIg6I6ZNgL_Lq7BpaAo5K8cJsR/img066.jpg

The UJ that needs to the shortend

http://ryg9cq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pJILj35TlMfFoOpUxXMtW8MAoMjbwNl554GgH2c-IMUuFJrL0Xap5oeOWLcCE2-IRRqM6KqLtxNKAAAdasMasHzAyx9jPw90e/img064.jpg

I know you can also use a controler off ebay but want to keep it working like it should from the factory with a sensor if possible

AlexW
13-05-10, 08:52 PM
Nova steering lock etc fits a corsa column it seems yes, as i have a corsa column here with a nova steering lock/key etc.

craig green
13-05-10, 08:55 PM
Sorry to sidetrack a little.
With the double UJ, can the colum be straightened? (so it aint on the p*ss)

Couldnt you just fit it up anyway the speed senders you've got & play with it when built? Its only pulling senders in & out of the top of the box.

AlexW
13-05-10, 09:08 PM

I belive so Yes, Corsa racks come in at the same angle as a nova one, but still manages to get straight.

No reason, with a bit of a fettle, you could get the nova column perfectly straight.

EDIT:

Couldnt you just fit it up anyway the speed senders you've got & play with it when built? Its only pulling senders in & out of the top of the box.

I dont see why a transducer is a issue eather, it dont depend on the VSS to be mph perfect.

novacabrio
13-05-10, 09:10 PM
Sorry to sidetrack a little.

No Hi-jack Craig, I want to try and get all the answers in one place if possible. I think it is possible to get it straight but that would require work on the mounting side

Edit: Yes I can play with it when its fitted just would rather do it and do it right first time.

Edd
13-05-10, 09:25 PM
You defo need a AK transducer.

I did alot of investigating in to this and this is the only transducer that will give the correct Reading to the columns ecu. Any other and it won't work properly.

If I was installing a kit I would use a AK transducer rather than them pointless controllers. 30 pulse per wheel revolution is what's needed and that's what the AK transducer gives

I MIGHT have a AK one, I'll look tomorrow.

novacabrio
13-05-10, 09:35 PM
Ok cheers Edd I've been readin here on mig

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/420302-corsa-b-epas.html

Ok, done a bit more digging myself and Vauxhall say that the electonic speedo drive on later Corsa Bs is 15 pulse, so I think I'm safe to assume that a 15 pulse transducer will be be what I need. (Or a 16 pulse since the former are hard to find in stackable form!)
Anyone else offer any thoughts on the RPM signal? In a Corsa it would be a nice clean output from the engine ECU, but one of the Novas is a carb model so I'd have to take the signal initially from the coil, which will be spikey. I just don't want to try it blind and end up killing an EPAS ECU!

he says they need 15 pulse?

craig green
13-05-10, 09:37 PM
Shame BigDave1979 doesnt mention the code.

Edd
13-05-10, 09:43 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95572

try this thread, says about the Ak transducer

novacabrio
13-05-10, 09:52 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95572

try this thread, says about the Ak transducer

Ideal,

To get the system working you need 5 wires, Ground, positive and switched positive takes care of 3 of them. The other two wires needed for controlled assistance is revs signal (green wire to your revometer), and speed signal at a rate of about 30 pulses per wheel revolution (use a AK - 15 IMP transducer, wired to the Blu/red wire). Alternatively there are controllers out there for around ?50 but you won't get varied assistance with speed.

Iain

So 15 imp is correct for 30 pulses?

Edd
13-05-10, 09:56 PM
Yeah basically the transducer has AK 15imp written on it, but on EPC it lists it as a 15imp/30 pulse transducer.

It's the one you want for sure.

Count Vaux Alot
13-05-10, 10:34 PM
I have the sender from my 1.5td it has the same 3 colour wires as the on you sold me edd (was that an AK?) but it also had a speedo drive i wonder if that would work? Anyone know were the rpm signal can be found on the td clocks?

Mark why dont you just make a column support up? This s what i will probably do, as i dont like the idea of spacing it looks very flexible.

CoolTiger
13-05-10, 10:36 PM
^TD one is same as Spi then

bazil
13-05-10, 10:45 PM
By the way that pic you has got the colum lowered, if you look closely you will see the 2 brass coloured extensions where it bolts on, I am doing the same conversion but have been advised to use an after market ecu as they are rally proven to work, if you check the wiring diagram for the rack some of the wires go to a diagnostic plug aswell, I don't have all the info asyet but also remember the 50 and 30 amp fuses you need to protect the system.

Edit. I reread your post but better the second time,

Are you going to fit the second support bracket from the corsa?

Will F
14-05-10, 08:45 AM
I fitted mine not long ago - so remember it quite well....

I didnt shorten the U/J - didnt need to?

The Nova cowel wont fit straight on- the position of the barrel is angled slightly differently, but a bit of cutting and fiddling and I win!

I used the ebay controller, simply as I liked the fact you could adjust it for country roads/town driving etc...

You need (or should) weld the third mounting bracket onto the corsa column from the nova column, where it mounts to the bulkhead - these units are rather heavy and it needs to be as robust as possible!

novacabrio
14-05-10, 06:43 PM
I fitted mine not long ago - so remember it quite well....

I didnt shorten the U/J - didnt need to?

The Nova cowel wont fit straight on- the position of the barrel is angled slightly differently, but a bit of cutting and fiddling and I win!

I used the ebay controller, simply as I liked the fact you could adjust it for country roads/town driving etc...

You need (or should) weld the third mounting bracket onto the corsa column from the nova column, where it mounts to the bulkhead - these units are rather heavy and it needs to be as robust as possible!

Any pics of how you fitted the cover? Did you use the corsa barel housing or Nova onto the corsa colum?

Will F
14-05-10, 08:49 PM
I think so - I will check - I use the Nova one - iirc the corsa one was even further out... Worth checking though

I would guess that a mk 2 cowling would fit a bit better, due to teh shape....

MARTIN KELSON
14-05-10, 08:55 PM
Some of those pics look familiar :)

novacabrio
14-05-10, 09:02 PM
Some of those pics look familiar :)

Sorry mate, hope you don't mind?

MARTIN KELSON
14-05-10, 09:07 PM
Sorry mate, hope you don't mind?

Of course i dont mind.

Good look with it.
Took mine out last weekend & down some twisty B roads it makes the Nova so much nicer to driver.

Well worth the effort in my eyes fitting PAS

Martin