PDA

View Full Version : hazard light switch

jon_boy
29-04-03, 11:23 AM
i changed my dash from mk 1 to mk 2. however the hazard lights no longer work. when turned on it makes the indicators work. when turned off the indicators dont even work. they dont go at the same time at all. can anyone help thats also done this mod. ie what colour wires go into what number holes at the back of the connector? maybe i done it wrong?! cheers lads. thanks for any help.

jon_boy
29-04-03, 03:54 PM
thanks for the help. :cry: can anyone just check a haynes manual or summin to see what colour wires go into what number hole. cos i really want my car back and dont understand haynes.

Nova-Boy
29-04-03, 04:06 PM
I would try but i'm at work! I will have a look later and will see if i can understand it for you.

jon_boy
29-04-03, 04:18 PM
cheers mate. im really stuck. probably shouldve paid more attention when taking it off. thanks again, jon

Aragorn
29-04-03, 07:43 PM
sounds like there is a short somewhere in the wiring

one thing tho

the mk2 clocks have one wire thats black green and white for the indicator telltale
the mk1 clocks have black green and black white seperate
if u try to join these wires together and connect em to the single point on the clocks youll get this problem

either get digiclocks which need the seperate wires, or run a feed from the green white black wire at the back of the hazard switch

mikeoxford
29-04-03, 07:48 PM
on the mk2s all of the indiciators etc go through the hazard warning switch.

so before anything else try another hazard warning swtich if possible.........

mike

Aragorn
29-04-03, 09:09 PM
they do on mk1's too

just the wiring is slightly different

mikeoxford
29-04-03, 09:14 PM
they do on mk1's too

just the wiring is slightly different

there u go then..............

try a switch just to double check

jon_boy
30-04-03, 11:41 AM
ive got a digi dash anyway that appearsto work. indicators light up when working etc. when u turned the switch round in the connector ie one of the middle connectors wasnt touching, pushing it made the hazards work, but with the button off the indicators didnt work. me thinks its just wired up wrong,cos i can get all the functions seperately just not without turning the switch upside down. hmmm...thanks alot by the way. everything helps.

Aragorn
30-04-03, 02:25 PM
umm if it all works with the switch upside down the wiring plug might be in the dash upside down??

with it upside down does the ignition come on?

mikeoxford
30-04-03, 11:22 PM
umm if it all works with the switch upside down the wiring plug might be in the dash upside down??

with it upside down does the ignition come on?

sounds likely

jon_boy
01-05-03, 09:48 AM
strangley, no. hence me thinks i connected the wires up wrong into the back of the connector. cos when i was putting it in i took all the wires out of the connector and then tried to put my ones from the loom, into it by memory of what colour should go where. and i do believe i got them wrong. so there we go. i think the final answer is all the wires are int he wrong place.

mikeoxford
01-05-03, 11:45 PM
we shall see when u rectify it :D

so get sorting :wink:

dathers
03-05-03, 12:06 AM
i put a mk2 dash in my mk1 gte on tuesday.
Ill have a look tomoz at what colours go where.
If you look on the back of both old and new hazard switches,all the pins are numbered,just connect say the wire that is on pin no. 15 to terminal no 15 on the new one.
I ended up with a spare red wire that is seperate from the other wires which are loomed together,everything work,indicators and hazards,i just dont get the dash light flashing with the hazards on but do with the indicators on.
This seperate red wire(its got sponge wrapped round it?) had to be connected to live to make my stereo work,im gonna investigate over the weekend,ill let ya know.
Your may be different as there is about 6 different wiring diagrams for different years of novas,which doesnt help.
Mine is a late 1990 mk1 GTE,but appears to have 1991 wiring,maybe a 91 model year as its late 90.
Dave

dathers
03-05-03, 12:08 AM
Ive also got a spare working! hazard switch if ya need one.
Dave