PDA

View Full Version : So then, it's one of them threads again, Who's owned a MK4 Astra?

scott.parker
11-05-10, 10:45 PM
**Before you all say ask on MK4 owners site etc, i would but theres less chance of getting good replies from people who dont know you (IMO)**

Im looking to buy one soon (Z18XE1 SRI,or X20XEV?) so i know Riggy has had one, Ad has one, Si's had one, Christian has a Coupe, and im sure Stuart's just sold one?

Who els had had one, and what's the common faults, and things to look for on them, things prone to FUBAR'ing at any specific millage etc, etc..?

Also has anyone lowered one 40mm, if so what using, and was it 40mm, not like my Passat's 40mm springs that dropped it 75mm lol

Scott

Keif
11-05-10, 10:55 PM
Seriously, join Astra Owners Club and ask on there, you wont get elbowed out as a Newbie, quite the opposite.

I own a 1.8 SRi as my daily driver, never let me down in 6 years. It's a Z18XE, if serviced regularly it's happy as a pig in sh*t. No EGR valve to die (the X20XEV has) also there's not a great loss from the 2.0l due to the gearing. The 0-60 time is the same with a slightly lower top end.

Timing Belt and tensioners (and water pump) should be done every 40k miles.

Standard Shocks can cope with -40mm springs. Won't need arch mods at that with 18" rims either (as long as the offset is correct)

SR-Rally
11-05-10, 10:55 PM
I've owned 2 one 2.0 deisel and one I broght for £70 put through mot and gave it to mother :) still in my name though lol. Haven't had a problem with either really. Although neither Are the same model as your looking at.

My nav just sold his Sri as it just blew it's 2nd gearbox :s not sure if it's common or he just gave it death?

John
11-05-10, 10:58 PM
I had a 1.6sxi, did high mileage comfortably, excellent chassis.

craig green
11-05-10, 11:07 PM
Apparently the 1800's have much lower gearing to kee the acceleration times down prolly, so the 2.0 is as economical & obv far nicer on a long run.

They are generally fantastic cars esp from a road holding point of view. Still very Astra-like in the cabin, ie not destined to stay screwed together for long.

John
11-05-10, 11:08 PM
One in the f/s section scott!

muzzy
11-05-10, 11:12 PM
I had a 1600 16v SXi, was a really nice car to drive, had a few issues but was on 107k and I think it had a hard life. I found it a bit boring to drive as it was my only car at the time, would have another for a daily driver now I have the SR because they are very comfortable, light steering, clutch etc.

colebag
11-05-10, 11:12 PM
i had one mate no faults to report with them really i had a deisel an a petrol the both pretty good on juice and look smart especaily the three door models

Keif
11-05-10, 11:19 PM
Apparently the 1800's have much lower gearing to kee the acceleration times down prolly, so the 2.0 is as economical & obv far nicer on a long run.

I've not found that. The 1.8 is only 0.2 second slower to 60 than the 2.0.

Plus the 1.8 is a few insurance groups below the 2.0. (1.8 = Ins 9, 2.0 = Ins 12)

SRimon
11-05-10, 11:22 PM
Do it, get the 1.8.

The 2.2 is thirsty in the Astra, and i'd much rather the 2001 on model IMO, the 2.0's can only be found in pre 2001 cars. It was discontinued then with the 1.8 and 2.2 models brought in. Oh and the rare 2.0 Turbo's.

Such a nice car, I really miss mine, in fact I wish I had sold mine and bought the CDTI version as I think i'd still have it.

The 1.8 isn't slow, and I love the look of them - altho the GSi is nicer lol.

napalm_27
11-05-10, 11:24 PM
dont do a z18xe1 its a x18xe1
i had a coupe nice motor usual sensor problems etc but thats it really

Stuart
11-05-10, 11:39 PM
I have the 1.8 sri with ETB.

Love it :)

I didnt get on with AOC as they dont like 'realistic' people putting their gaymo remaps down lol

hendrix
11-05-10, 11:55 PM
I've got a coupe z20let.

Nothing short of **** for the first year or so of owning it but have had over 2 years fault free motoring from it since.

Can see 34mpg out of it too on a long run and not booting it :thumb:

Hobbit
12-05-10, 12:10 AM
Mrs Hobbit has a 03 2.2 sri. Great little car, handles really well.

Ernie
12-05-10, 12:16 AM
as said by Scott.
Ive got a 2.2 coupe and done about 5000 trouble free miles since december.
The 2.2's do get through alot of oil tho ive noticed and before anybodys says.
Its not leaking or burning it they just use oil look in the hand book which says 1ltr to every 1000 miles.
I still love it to bits tho and will have to pop round so you can take it for a spin and see what you think mate.
if its any help Dar liked it and said it handled well for a standard car.

Edd
12-05-10, 08:19 AM
Dont get a z20let what ever you do.

Nothing but problems for me. Afm coilpack turbo sensors !!
All very weak IMO

2.0 or 2.2 IMO

Dom
12-05-10, 08:32 AM
Ive got a 1.8 sri with 76k on the clock and full vaux service history that will be for sale soon ;-)

Mike B GTE
12-05-10, 12:09 PM
i had an '03 1.8 plate coupe. it was ok, bought it new but only kept for a year, no real problems with it. Really liked driving it, wasnt exactly 'fast' but it was ok.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/M16KEB/Coupe1.jpg

claire6069
12-05-10, 02:09 PM
i had a 1.6 sxi, it was shocking! ignition barrell collapsed 3times in the 3months i owned it, when it rained, it wouldnt go over 30mph, the revs went up but nothing else did! even got overtook by a moped :( lol cant believe i part ex'd my corsa sport for it! never again!

Saloony
12-05-10, 05:48 PM
Had the 2.2 Coupe... Loved it! The 1.8 is a cracker of an engine, its willingness to rev its nutz off is cracking. I still really rate the 2.2, bollox to the chain, the engine is great, nice noise, pulls great and can take minor mods and changes it well.

Riggy
12-05-10, 05:51 PM
yeah i loved my 2.2 but as chris says , the handbook actually says 1000 miles = 1 litre of oil lol ,

the lad who had mine of me has blown it up twice for having no oil in , each time was a grand rebuild the nob lol

when i get rid of this mk4 golf , then im either having another mk4 astra sri or a vec sri / gsi

Stuart
12-05-10, 06:06 PM
My 2.2 used about a Litre of oil in 15K lol.... the joy of running it on 10/60 oil :d

Fow16v
12-05-10, 06:24 PM
great cars imo, ive had a coupe turbo which is currently in the classified section running phase 3, a 1.6 petrol van and ive recently bought a 2.0 dti van gsi rep, all three of them great to drive, handle well and very comfy. all lowered 40mm.

will listen to offers on the coupe if your interested lol, i really need the space

Rich
12-05-10, 06:25 PM
Good cars, no major faults i can think of. EGR valves are common, see if you can find one thats had the rework (blocks off egr valve so ecu ignores it).

1.8 are good, not actually ever driven a 2.0 one i didnt even know they made one untill somone told me.

Novasport
12-05-10, 06:31 PM
Had a Coupe Turbo 888 for 5 years with no issues(although I have only done 4.5k miles in that time!). Well screwed together for a Vaux and a very smooth torquey engine(I drive new BMW's daily so have them to compare to)

Adam
12-05-10, 06:42 PM
I dont agree with the poorly built interior comment a few pages back. They are well put together IMO, very solid inside!

As youve said Scott, ive got a 2.0 SRI, love it tbh! Best car ive owned to date.

Personally id go for a 1.8, or pay the extra and get a 2.2. 2.0 is sort of a pointless "in the middle" engine that costs more to run and insure than the 1.8, but is no quicker.....

Saying that, ive had no issues with mine, pulls well, drives smooth. It aint quick, but its perfect for a daily! It sounds nice too.
Its never once not started, never had the eml come on etc, and ive done about 8k in mine since ive had it.

And mine is down well over 45mm, 70+ at a guess lol (well, the downpipe flexi scrapes roadhumps)
On £150 coilovers
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Mk4%20Astra/6dd85e93.jpg

You dont have to spend much to get them looking nice either!

Weak spots are usually they snap suspension springs! Apparently the front wiper linkage is prone to breaking too. Not had either go on mine though.

Spudly
12-05-10, 06:49 PM
Weak spots are usually they snap suspension springs! Apparently the front wiper linkage is prone to breaking too. Not had either go on mine though.

Thats you fudged now then, you will go out and have the spring snap and the resulting jolt kill your wiper linkage now lol

Stuart
12-05-10, 06:50 PM
weve been through 2 sets of rear springs on ours lol.
and a pair of rear calipers (swapped for the good ones and problem solved)

but everything else has been great.

Handles like a dream and is as much fun point to point as my vx lol
I'll go out on a limb and say the MK4 is the best all round car vauxhall/opel have ever built

chris gsi
12-05-10, 09:05 PM
Great cars I bought a 2001 3door 2.2sri back in february and covered 5k with no problems
And still feels new at 62k miles. I just want a 5door 1.6sxi the other half now

Novasport
12-05-10, 09:20 PM
The Astra is not the only car to suffer broken coil springs, BMW E46 3 series, X3's and the old shape Z4's eat coil springs at an alarming rate. I think our poor UK roads are the main problem!

I have to agree with Stuart for once, the Mk4 is a great all round car and does handle well although mine has been tweaked by 888. The 2.2 won best hot hatch back in the day before everybody went turbo bonkers so that says something.
Even though I am spoilt by driving BMW's every day I still enjoy getting in the 888, its a fantastic car and handles really well for a FWD car.

scott.parker
23-06-10, 09:59 PM
Really really finding it hard to find the "perfect" package in the 1.8 SRi's, there's lots about, but all vary in price dramatically..

Although there is some SXi's that are better priced, lower miles etc, im getting tempted toward the 2.2's as there allot more of them, and in better spec, and cheaper too..

Although they will be say £300 more to insure, i think there in the same tax bracket as the 1.8, there both £235 for 12 months.

Scott

Stuart
23-06-10, 10:20 PM
the 2.2 will be fecking juicy... mind you the 1.8 is juicy too lol

You can have mine (old tax system) for £500, its a shed needing a fair bit of cosmetic work lol

scott.parker
23-06-10, 10:49 PM
Pics of said body work, interior pics, seat ware/tear, price?
PM me if your serious mate.

Scott