PDA

View Full Version : front arches

mikeoxford
28-04-03, 10:07 PM
well *touches wood*

been ok so far

but what do people do to their front arches?

i wont lie i think i been lucky so far

just wanna widen them or de lip them before i buckle them

scott5
28-04-03, 11:15 PM
my arches have been rolled so that the lip is completely flat but with 17s and a 60mm drop i've still managed to buckle them!

mikeoxford
28-04-03, 11:20 PM
thinking of trying to stretch my wings outwards a tiny bit by means of a large flat plank (one inch thick or similar)

and a bottle or sizza jack in the middle.

hopefully if the wood touches all the flat areas it can i wont get a visible kink in the wing where i bend it outwards a bit

Fester
28-04-03, 11:23 PM
once again micky has done this

bottle jack and wood

he said the middle bit stretches out which causes the outer bits to pull it, so then you just go back and do those

consult monsieur owens for more detail

scott5
28-04-03, 11:23 PM
be careful u dont crack the paint tho. i tried to knock mine back out with a hammer after i bent it and the paint cracked along the top edge. it might be a good idea to warm this area up withh a hairdryer or something before u start.

ade
29-04-03, 05:39 PM
my wheels are directly in line with arches - cars dropped 60mm. U rolled my lips - just cut small grooves in the arch all the way around - about 2" apart to the edge of the lip, then gently hammered it flat against the body. Sealed it with hammerite & Grey stripe.

My wheels still rub on hard corners or bad bumps but coz the arches are rolled the edges are rounded so they wont damage the tyres.

They also flex a little - no paints chipped (yet).

If you stretch - warm paint 1st.

Ade

techie
29-04-03, 05:44 PM
If you ever fancy a trip down to MK a guy at work has got the proper wheel arch roller/flarer.

Jim
29-04-03, 08:03 PM
Take it to a professional bodyshop, you'll only kick yourself if you fook it up, then you WILL be pi55ed off, LOL

Jim

mikeoxford
29-04-03, 08:04 PM
Take it to a professional bodyshop, you'll only kick yourself if you fook it up, then you WILL be pi55ed off, LOL

Jim

ive just PM techie

sounds like you speak from experience? :o

i dont wanna fcuk it up :x

but i wanna roll upto MK with my rims on :twisted: :roll:

ade
29-04-03, 09:08 PM
Mike,

Are your wheels rubbing on the arch or the rims?

Honestly, you CANNOT fook it up.

take wings off - place on bubble pack to protect, then using hack saw just cut into the lip about 2" along - lots of small tabe. You dont need to go right to the edge - just leave about 2-3mm.

Then you should be able to use yer fingers to bend them up. You might wanna put some sealer behind the lips 1st though (summut like hammerite or grey stripe.

I hammered mine flat which left little kinks but i also cut it right to the edge. Honestly m8 - its p1ss easy

mikeoxford
29-04-03, 09:17 PM
when i corner hard i find the wheels (tyres) rub on the arches i think.

im not definite for sure.

just they look bloody close and im scared of one good WHACK and bye bye wing!

plus ill have to get it sprayed up flame red and get vynyl put back on the bottom if i f00k it up or write off the wing!!!

ill sort it

i got an idea or two.

gone de lip em, then stretch a tiny bit, and also imm having either 1mm/2mm machined off the hub of the alloys or the front disks