PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 8v ohc safe engine

maxlee
10-05-10, 10:19 AM
hi guys

bought a new sports lol

cam belts snapped just want to know are these engines safe engines some people say yes some people say no :confused: so thought i would ask on a forum that would know the anser :d

any one??

craig green
10-05-10, 11:03 AM
yes. see burgo's weekend adventure.

mowgli
10-05-10, 11:06 AM
it should be ok on a 1.2........ 95% of the time it is.

craig green
10-05-10, 11:09 AM
what is the other 5% all about LOL?

Stuart
10-05-10, 11:22 AM
if they have a cam with more than 5-7mm of lift

maxlee
10-05-10, 11:50 AM
:d i'll go get a belt and a pump and give it ago thanks guys i was hoping it wasthe anser if not i have a corsa with a ok head on it if it is one of the 5% :tard:

mowgli
10-05-10, 12:38 PM
what is the other 5% all about LOL?

covering my rear, craig, that is all.

in my old 1.2, i was braking & changed down to 3rd at 85 on the m40 slip near somewhere down south & stripped the belt. one new belt later, i was merrily on my way........ no damage whatsoever...

MattBrown
10-05-10, 03:14 PM
Damn i must be unlucky:(

When i did it on a 1.2 corsa, 6 bent valves, and god knows what else, followers etc bent, and marked pistons lol

Was at 7000rpm though lol

mowgli
10-05-10, 03:24 PM

When i did it on a 1.2 corsa, 6 bent valves, and god knows what else, followers etc bent, and marked pistons lol

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/07133947000

Stuart
10-05-10, 03:52 PM

nothing to do with engine speed... it just knew it had you as the driver.

maxlee
11-05-10, 12:12 AM
:d woop woop its running again thanks guys

we got a little carryed away and lowered it in a hour then wile laughing might do a project post

any way thanks again :thumb:

mowgli
11-05-10, 09:53 AM
carried away????? if it took you an hour, they must have carried you a long way from your car........

you should pay a bit more attention to the basics before modifying it.. i assume you've not bothered to get it tracked yet?

maxlee
11-05-10, 10:12 AM
its been serviced and today i'll finish that with oil and filter change thats it

i wouldn't really call lowering it on a set of springs and shocks modifying it more of a laugh lol

mowgli
11-05-10, 10:16 AM
its been serviced and today i'll finish that with oil and filter change thats it

i wouldn't really call lowering it on a set of springs and shocks modifying it more of a laugh lol

right...... so you have replaced the things that connect the wheels to the body & you don't think its modifying!!!!!!!! when you post up a thread about 'why are my tyres wearing funny?' i'll remember that..........

also just what constitutes a service, if you haven't managed to change the oil & filter???

maxlee
11-05-10, 10:25 AM
wtf mate carm down i wont be moaning about my tyres wearing funny

new belt, new plugs cap etc run out of day light last night so called it a night.

**** me are you like the nova police on here or some thing i respect you have been on here ages etc but its just a 5 door nova not a track car

i don't call unbolting some thing and bolting some thing back on real modifying theres no real skill to it,
welding, engine changes, body work etc then yer.

mowgli
11-05-10, 10:53 AM
maxlee, you stripped your timing belt & were lucky.

a service on a 1.2 nova is oil, filter, plugs, dizzy cap, & takes all of an hour.

i am actually quite serious about anybody changing suspension components to lower a car & not getting them tracked, and the camber checked, it could adversely affect the safe driving of your car.

puss puss
11-05-10, 10:57 AM
servicing

-Air filter
-Oil filter
-Oil
-Check gearbox oil
-Plugs and gaps
-Condition of auxelly (sp) belts etc
-Check all brakes
-Condtion of tyres
-Wheel bearings
-Condition of shocks and springs

Theres a lot more into a service then you think lol (thats a full service btw well thats the way we used to do it when i worked at the garage)

modifying is changing anything from the basic, to better/enhance/change the car as a whole (engines, suspension, wheels, etc)

so yeah suspension is defo a enhancement as its designed to make you go round them roundabouts quicker/better.

Dont worry about mowgli his alright its just he has grumpy mornings lol :)

mowgli
11-05-10, 11:03 AM
puss puss, i've been up since 6, your list of a service would still take less than an hour, but you probably charged much more.............

please explain to me what is wrong with doing the tracking to a car that has just had its suspension geometry altered by lowering....

maxlee
11-05-10, 11:35 AM
i didn't strip my belt i bought the car with a snapped belt before i chucked in on my truck and wayed it in i thought i would ask the people that no if what i thought was true,

now as its moted and taxed till october i thought i'll use it to get me out of being carless and i like nova's after rebuilding my girl friends mk1 (and yes its lowered 40mm and every bit has been replaced and tracking done) :D

so its been saved from the scrap yard

servicing

-Air filter: done
-Oil filter: doing today
-Oil doing: today
-Check gearbox oil: changed
-Plugs and gaps : chaged, done
-Condition of auxelly (sp) belts etc: changed
-Check all brakes: done while wheels was off front ones are brand spankers almost
-Condtion of tyres: front new last mot back ones crap!
-Wheel bearings: both front replaced last year backs ok
-Condition of shocks and springs: brand new

you missed out greassing the door hindges checking locks and lubbing them. washers topped up lights checked any bulbs (front indcater in my case) replced that are out etc etc lol

it's just a nova ffs! :thumb:

back on topic thanks for the help guys :)