PDA

View Full Version : anybody ever worked at halfords?

brucer
09-05-10, 04:53 PM
thinking about applying to earn some extra dollar on the weekends, job title is 'fitter' so id presume wiper blades,stereos blah blah. im a fully qualified mechanic so should be easy stuff id imagine.

just wanderd what it would be like and if i should bother, pay says meets national minimum wage and says 7hrs which i dont know if thats over the weekend or just the day. its not going to break my bank open with money but any money is good nova money.:d

oppinions?

bruce

craig green
09-05-10, 04:55 PM
Do it mate. You'll have an easy time of putting in stereos & wipers or bulbs. You'll get a good discount on stuff & get your hands on stuff when its being cleared out.

Lee
09-05-10, 04:58 PM
I did about 11 years ago while I was at college :) Was actually a really good laugh, especially when you know more than the full timers lol

Adam
09-05-10, 04:58 PM
I remember a few years back i applied to be a "Ripspeed fitter/technician"

Didnt get it, a 17yr old girl did. FPMSL lollollol
She had full-time work experience, whereas i didnt.

Id go for it, youve got mechanical experience so youre sorted....

peester
09-05-10, 05:10 PM
From what i can gather - youll be doing 4hrs sat, 3 hrs sun. So no break. Youll only be fitting as and when a batt/bulb/blade sells with fitting. That store may do easy, on the spot stereo fits @ weekends (but you wont be doing any big jobs as its too busy during a weekend..)
the rest of the time you'll be selling/serving/calls/tidying so it really is a dog's body role lol..
But yeah discount is good ,tho clearance stuff is a thing of the past now..
Just read up on KPI's and how to sell fitting/benefits of trading up product ranges..

MK999
09-05-10, 05:31 PM
I've applied a few times listing off my background experience, fact I built my nova, doing motorsport eng. at uni etc and never got a look in, while I've seen countless clueless numpties pick up the jobs, but give it a go mate might have more luck than me lol

brucer
09-05-10, 06:13 PM
cheers guys, currently writing out a Cv, havnt had to do that in 4years so hopeing it comes out ok. ill go down tomorrow after work and enquire about the job.

will let you all know what happens!!

General Baxter
09-05-10, 06:27 PM
i could not even get a job there,

Adam
09-05-10, 06:29 PM
Thats because you dont fit wipers with a grinder

Rexy
09-05-10, 06:34 PM
I was a bike tech at bolton from being about 16 - 18

Had a good laugh as chris worked there too lol lots of ****s and giggles lol. I ended up leaving to work in urm an office pmsl.

Benn
09-05-10, 06:49 PM
Do it, there's always hot girls that work there to try and pull.

brucer
09-05-10, 09:59 PM
id second that, a couple tasty ones work in the halfords ill be applying for. lol

Jack
09-05-10, 10:10 PM
I remember a few years back i applied to be a "Ripspeed fitter/technician"

Didnt get it, a 17yr old girl did. FPMSL lollollol
She had tits, whereas i didnt.
:d

Adam
09-05-10, 10:14 PM
lol lol

That is true, but you should of seen her. :(

hmmm, NO

MK999
09-05-10, 10:48 PM
lol lol

That is true, but you should of seen her. :(

hmmm, NO

Maybe she got it because she was more of a fella then, and you shouldn't be complaining that a girl beat you to it lol

Sloth
09-05-10, 11:52 PM
you will get taxed at 30% due to it being a second job....

Jack
10-05-10, 12:28 AM
you will get taxed at 30% due to it being a second job....
20%.

Asa-James
10-05-10, 07:52 AM
your not stupid enough to work there, i once saw someone ask for discs and pads, and they recieved one disc and two sets of pads, asked the young lad "what the hell am i supposed to do with those" and walked out.

i only shop there for the £3 oil filters :)

peester
10-05-10, 08:03 AM
it is retail after all; silly things happen and they might not neccessarily employ someone who knows loads about cars - more someone with a certain personality/attitude and knowledge of retailing..

Benn
10-05-10, 08:08 AM
i only shop there for the £3 oil filters :)

????????????????????

Gm filters are £1.09p on the TC...

Sloth
10-05-10, 08:21 AM
how do you get a tc?

Sloth
10-05-10, 08:22 AM
20%.

my bad, it was a long day yesterday....:thumb:

mowgli
10-05-10, 09:06 AM
unless it slipped past without anyone noticing, ..... halfords are planning a return to doing vehicle repairs, after they shut all their service bays & sold off their workshop kit, (and we got a load)

Jeff16v
10-05-10, 09:20 AM
Do it, a guy near me picks up all his own customers for his garage at the parts counterlol

Sloth
10-05-10, 09:20 AM
i heard that too....

Jack
10-05-10, 12:49 PM
Thats why they bought the Nationwide (or was it National? Something beginning with N anyway lol) tyre shops.

dj_wudgey
10-05-10, 03:13 PM
Thats because you dont fit wipers with a grinder

fpmsl lol i got offerd a job there but wasnt full tims so i f*cked it off and worked at ats instead!!

brucer
10-05-10, 06:44 PM
cv dropped off today. i didnt think about the tax being taken off, will the 20percent be taken off this job or both? i pay enough as it is! geeze.

Jack
10-05-10, 07:00 PM
Your second job will be taxed at 20% on everything, assuming your earn over your threshold in your main job.

But then its like I said to Hayley the other day, why moan? Surely earning, say, £100 a week extra and taking home £80 is better than earning £0 a week extra and taking home £0.

brucer
10-05-10, 07:09 PM
i see what your saying, anything extra for me atm is better than nothing.

thanks for the info.

Adaz_blud
10-05-10, 07:13 PM
ha do it least there will be someone who knows what they doing my old man walked in there and and asked for a touch up pen for his goldy skoda and he told them the exact code and they got it wrong :S so he had too go to hex told them the same code and they got it right.

Timmy
11-05-10, 06:17 PM
Halford are looking for fitters best way to get in is to talk to the audiosales floor manger explan what youve done then ask for a app form. i work for halfords now. i left just before xmas a wish i hadn't then came back mid last month.
To get a trade card go to the parts desk coverd in grease and ask for one say you work in a garge done easy, they may ask for a quilfachion proff but hardy do.
may isn't good but if you puch the fitting service you can ask for more depend on which store and they pay role buget

sr jack
11-05-10, 08:10 PM
lol i went into halfords once to get some spark plugs for my 1.4 sr, i give this goon behind the counter my reg and all that balony.

Then he says to me 'is your car a diesel' lol i said' SORRY!' he said 'is it a diesel'.

my response to that was' yes it is,see you later' lol

did make me laugh though