PDA

View Full Version : 205 Mi-16

Connor
09-05-10, 01:35 AM
Ok wrong forum i know, but being as you lot have a great knowledge on cars i though i would ask your opinion.
Right me and my bro have just bought a 20 mi16 on 45's for basically nothing.
it has been vandalised and someone attempted to steal it, but seeing as it has no fuel or fuel lines, they only managed to roll it outta the garage it was stored at lol then got bored and kicked it in including the roof :mad: .
Ok back to the question,
i heard these cars are good on track but whats the view on the engine?
Seeing as it already has the twin 45's on it setup, and my bro wanted to use it on the road (currently on look out for another gti shell due to the damage) and track
We were debating to sell the engine with the carbs as we get a full spare engine including full injection setup) and putting it back to standard spec engine
I know the engine is going to be crap on fuel with the twin 45's but seriously how bad is it going to be (approx)
lets say, how many miles do you think you would get out of £10 worth of fuel

jame5
09-05-10, 01:42 AM
my brother in law had a 205 mi track preped road car v quick and lots of fun

as for the engine i think you wud be able to sell no prob as 205 is a popular track car. you not thought of a track car project for you and your brother

MK999
09-05-10, 01:46 AM
25-30mpg ish as a max I'd say if well set up to run near stoich, but booting it don't be surprised if it drops to single figures.

Connor
09-05-10, 01:58 AM
as for the engine i think you wud be able to sell no prob as 205 is a popular track car. you not thought of a track car project for you and your brother

Well thats what it is, but he wants to use it on the road, just for fun :d

And just re-read through what i read, and its crap lol
what i meant, either way its getting reshelled, as it comes with buckets polys etc etc
what engine to put in.
-Standard mi16
-or mi16 on carbs which is cammed a few other things (my bro knows)

Or a equal equivalent if you had a rotten Xe nova on carbs
and had a standard Xe laying about
which one would you put in the new shell considering it will be used as more of a track car, but a road car for those hot odd weekend days so we can hit the b roads ;) :d

blue_peg_16v
09-05-10, 08:50 AM
id keep the carbs to be fair there not as bad as everyone makes out on fuel and will give it a little more shove than the standard injection.

i had 48s on an xe and it was an everyday car and wasnt that bad

Connor
09-05-10, 12:35 PM
Taa lads

craig green
09-05-10, 12:38 PM
iirc the std injection inlet for the Mi motor wont go in the 205 bay which is why so many of these engines unded up carb'd.
It'll be a good little beast & comparable with an XE Nova. The Mi16's were a little more free revving than the XE but with a tad less low down torque as you'd expect, but like the XE, leaps & bounds better than the VW & other french & Jap 16v ers of that era.

I would so love to have owned a proper 405 Mi16 back in the day.

craig green
09-05-10, 12:39 PM
Btw the Mi16 cyl head has been put on an XE in the past to cheaply recreate the reverse cyl head/swindon mod.

novaxe235
09-05-10, 12:44 PM
^ Any more info on this.

craig green
09-05-10, 12:48 PM
Google.

Connor
09-05-10, 12:49 PM
iirc the std injection inlet for the Mi motor wont go in the 205 bay which is why so many of these engines unded up carb'd.

Well we had 2 of them, as the one we had was ours originally but we only got it p/x then sold it on, then the bloke we sold it to hasnt done anything just kept being hassled by chavs looking for a joyride.
So technically there is 2 now, but we told him to take to the one with standard injection (which isnt wired up properly) and scrap the shell as the white one is really foobared. The red one (carbed one) runs but hasnt got any fuel lines so can only run it off an external fuel tank atm.
Think this is sorted now anyways, spoke to my brother and told him to stop being a gheyer (:p) and to keep the carbs, because they sound AMAZING!!!
He remembered the first time we started it, and the carb noise was amazing, so then he agreed :d

jame5
09-05-10, 08:22 PM
pics lol

Connor
09-05-10, 08:31 PM
I will upload some when i get home,
but dont finish uni till friday
and probs will not get back till 2 weeks time

peter gsi
09-05-10, 09:32 PM
3 of my mate were first to put mi 405 engines in 205 going back ten years now they both had std injection. they went like f--k. but didnt handle to well they use to get tho tyres every 4 weaks. were very fast but they didnt last long. best engine to use is the 306 gti6 engine and 6 speed box

craig green
09-05-10, 10:19 PM
Maybe i'm wrong about the injection, perhaps its the same score with idiots & GM wiring, baffled about 5 wires so 'put it on carbs' is the easiest & best option for wasting fuel.....

Connor
09-05-10, 10:22 PM
Maybe i'm wrong about the injection, perhaps its the same score with idiots & GM wiring, baffled about 5 wires so 'put it on carbs' is the easiest & best option for wasting fuel.....

Yea sounds about right!! lol
The injection is a bit of a bitch to wire up apparently
hence the reason the one we had never was right,
it ran, then the next day it wouldn't and vice versa

Jack
09-05-10, 10:24 PM
Mate of mine had an Mi-16 in a 205, that never really ran right iirc.

dj_wudgey
10-05-10, 02:56 PM
id keep the carbs to be fair there not as bad as everyone makes out on fuel and will give it a little more shove than the standard injection.

i had 48s on an xe and it was an everyday car and wasnt that bad

id say the same keep it they wont be that bad and if he wants it for fun it will be MUCH more fun with them on!!

Austin_Nova16
10-05-10, 06:33 PM
Standard mi inlet does fit if you chop the plastic fan housing down - meaning you can move the rad forward..
Wiring is straight forward if you take your time with it; just needs splitting correctly..

I'd say the gti6 lump is better than the old mi's that are kicking round these days, but is heavier with the steel block..

1.6 16v?

Connor
10-05-10, 06:42 PM
If we got both the mi16 engines already,
it would be rude not use at least one of them :d

dj_wudgey
10-05-10, 10:55 PM
it would be rude but if its to be a track car id save one for when something goes wrong!