PDA

View Full Version : Question, Mg zr engine

Cle
06-05-10, 08:11 PM
Right well doing head gasket change on one at work the day and after we stripped it, changed water pump, timing belt etc went to set the timing up so cranked round the engine and the piston liners lifted up ie stuck to the piston at this point i was like :confused::wtf: then pushed it back down and when i checked all the liners are loose, does anyone no if they'll be fine once head gaskets on and head is bolted and torqued down ??

Bubba
06-05-10, 08:17 PM
erm, that doesnt sound normal

deanwilko
06-05-10, 08:20 PM
u turned it over with the head off

Cle
06-05-10, 08:23 PM
u turned it over with the head off

Cranked round engine ie spanner on crankshaft bolt

peter gsi
06-05-10, 08:24 PM
i have done a few you should of time it up be for taking head of and not touch it till head in on or so with them head bolts hold the crank. all you and do is put it back together and try it

deanwilko
06-05-10, 08:33 PM
you will probably have to reseal the seals on the liners otherwise it will dump all the coolant into the sump

muzzy
06-05-10, 08:39 PM
As above, more likely than not have to reseal the liners. Peugeot/Citroen's are the same.

Saloony
06-05-10, 08:59 PM
You gotta strip it down now boyo, you've cocked that right up.

Sloth
06-05-10, 09:00 PM
oh dear. its also prob moved the bearings too.

John
06-05-10, 09:00 PM
bin it.

Saloony
06-05-10, 09:04 PM
bin it.

Thats the best suggestion yet :thumb:

Asa-James
06-05-10, 10:41 PM
oh dear. its also prob moved the bearings too.

x2 the headbolts keep everything together in them lumps

draper
06-05-10, 10:44 PM
you work on cars yet wait untill you get home and ask advice over the internet ?

who said labour have dumbed down, well everything lol

dj_wudgey
06-05-10, 11:19 PM
Thats the best suggestion yet :thumb:

you know it is lol

muzzy
07-05-10, 12:00 AM
I hope your boss knows about this and your not on here looking for a quick fix that he won't notice lol

craig green
07-05-10, 12:01 AM
Dang.

dj_wudgey
07-05-10, 12:36 AM
I hope your boss knows about this and your not on here looking for a quick fix that he won't notice lol

id say he is lol but f*ck it mate bolt it together and hope for the best!!

muzzy
07-05-10, 12:37 AM
Chap the liners down and throw the head on her, what's the worst that could happen lol

dj_wudgey
07-05-10, 12:39 AM
yea its worth a try isnt it lol

draper
07-05-10, 12:41 AM
Chap the liners down and throw the head on her, what's the worst that could happen lol

it'll come out the smoke..................

tonight cle, im still a MG

Vauxhall-Scotland
07-05-10, 01:50 AM
You work at an engine rebuilders and need to come on a nova site and ask for advise on an mg :confused: :wtf:

Adam*D
07-05-10, 12:24 PM
Them liners bounce about, only slightly and they knacker another H/G within about 50 miles :(
Most garages round here won't do H/G's on any K series engine as they can't guarantee them, that's also why they do very good money on ebay for a fully working engine ;)
Best idea is to chuck it away and fit a good engine, or spend a fortune on a full rebuild ;)

Stuart
07-05-10, 12:55 PM
The bearings wont have moved, the head bolt ladder that holds the bearings in, is also held in palce with some small bolts so the ladder dosent fall in the sump when you take the head bolts out. Sloff to the rescue with crap advise as per usual

You will need to bond the liners back in. No biggie really, just more faff than you wanted.

I've seen K's that havent had the liners bonded back down die within minutes on the dyno :(

Saloony
07-05-10, 05:30 PM
The bearings wont have moved, the head bolt ladder that holds the bearings in, is also held in palce with some small bolts so the ladder dosent fall in the sump when you take the head bolts out. Sloff to the rescue with crap advise as per usual

You will need to bond the liners back in. No biggie really, just more faff than you wanted.

I've seen K's that havent had the liners bonded back down die within minutes on the dyno :(

Thank you that man!!!

Sloth
07-05-10, 05:44 PM
very early k series motors dont have those bolts. the head bolts do hold the bearings. i asked an ex rover tech.

Cle
07-05-10, 06:20 PM
i relise why i dont like png again, i asked if this was normal and got load of replys says it fuked well its not, it now runs fine thank you

Saloony
07-05-10, 06:29 PM
Sorry mate, but i cant see how you havent damaged the seals. And not only that it was a bit of an apprentice thing to do wasnt it? And then, asking a rover question on a vauxhall forum. And if you dont like it that much, why bother in the first place?

Cle
07-05-10, 06:32 PM
Sorry mate, but i cant see how you havent damaged the seals. And not only that it was a bit of an apprentice thing to do wasnt it? And then, asking a rover question on a vauxhall forum. And if you dont like it that much, why bother in the first place?

I am an apprentice :roll: Im no going to join a mg forum just to ask one question and i thought someone on here would no, as theres probs a few mechanics on here.

muzzy
07-05-10, 06:33 PM
Were you told the answer's you wanted to hear?

craig green
07-05-10, 06:36 PM
I am an apprentice :roll: Im no going to join a mg forum just to ask one question and i thought someone on here would no, as theres probs a few mechanics on here.

One thing you can count on from almost any forum is someone knowing everything you want to know about anything. Fair play for asking.

I doubt you will just turn cranks over without thinking 1st in a hurry? lol

Saloony
Are you really.. dont think much of your supposed mentors then. Rule one of wet liners, clearly you werent told or you went on and just did it anyway. Yeah there are, still say there damaged, wait until it gets some proper heat in it, wait for the fail.

l1nuxxx

I done exactly the same on my mgf and it was fine when I re built it. I fitted the MLS gasket, Land Rover lower rail, New belt and pump and it ran sweet. Shame you have to go to all that trouble to get a good k-series :tard:

Bloody Rover!!!

Cle
07-05-10, 06:39 PM
wait until it gets some proper heat in it, wait for the fail.
Will do thanks :thumb: :roll:

thanks L1nuxxx, you acually answered my question :thumb:

Sloth
07-05-10, 07:07 PM
no he told you what you wanted to hear.

Stuart
07-05-10, 07:15 PM
very early k series motors dont have those bolts. the head bolts do hold the bearings. i asked an ex rover tech.

Yes the headbolts do hold the bearing ladder in place... but the ladder dosent fall off once the head bolts are out. Even on an incredibly early 1.4K I worked on had the ladder bolted on

dj_wudgey
07-05-10, 10:03 PM
well at least its sorted mate thats all that matters