PDA

View Full Version : stereo wiring guide...help?

LiD0N
27-04-03, 08:18 PM
i just bought a nova that has no stereo just wires i wanna install mine but dunno what wires are what any one got a guide?

scott5
27-04-03, 10:21 PM
cant find my wiring diagram but i'm pretty sure red is the permenant live, brown is the earth and then there will be four pairs of wires, each pair being one plain colour and the same plain colour with a stripe, these are the speaker wires.
to find out which pair of wires are for which speaker get an AA battery or similar and connect this to the end of the wires and the speaker that they are connected to will make a popping or crackling noise.

if you still cant do it write you post in the ICE section, someone in there might be more use.

Dicko
28-04-03, 10:34 AM
run 2 fresh cables off the batery for the earth and +ve, make sure you get an inline fuse for the +ve, then run a wire from the +ve on ur clock to the permanant live connector.

be careful with the colours of things already there as some1 might have messed with them b4 thats y i always put in new wires!

rgv_stu
28-04-03, 10:47 AM
black is live on the nova loom
big brown is earth
red is switched live (if you have it- the mk1 seemed to have this as an extra wire from the fronty of the fuse box.mk2 had it in the loom)
grey/green is night illumination

cant remember speaker colours

ALLWAYS USE A MULTIMETER TO WIRE A RADIO

LiD0N
28-04-03, 10:54 AM
thx alot guys...

scott5
28-04-03, 12:36 PM
black is live on the nova loom
big brown is earth
red is switched live (if you have it- the mk1 seemed to have this as an extra wire from the fronty of the fuse box.mk2 had it in the loom)
grey/green is night illumination

cant remember speaker colours

ALLWAYS USE A MULTIMETER TO WIRE A RADIO
on the wiring diagram on top of my standard vauxhall head unit it says that red is live and black is the switched live, brown is earth as u said and grey/green is illumination,

speaker wires
white = RR (plain colour is +, colour with a stripe is -)
yellow = FR
blue = FL
green = RL

Aragorn
28-04-03, 12:57 PM
yeh red is perm live (look at the battery wires)

black is ignition live

brown is ground

rgv_stu
28-04-03, 01:31 PM
well dont believe me then

on my mk1 the black wire is permanent live
the red is an extra wire (vauxhall fitted) and that is switched live and comes out the front of the fusebox

THAT WAS ALL ORIGINAL VAUXHALL WIRING b4 anyone says otherwise

scott5
28-04-03, 02:11 PM
well mines a mk2 so it could be differant. i've still got the original ISO connector on my car so its safe to say that its the original wiring, the red wire is live as it was when it left the factory!

ade
28-04-03, 05:50 PM
here you go m8 - this is the actual wiring diagram for a nova for speakers (linking a jvc stereo mind but that dont matter).

Heres the thread -

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62970

heres the download (word)

http://www.akirwan.freeserve.co.uk/akhow2/ice.rtf

Feel free to send me compliments!

Ade

Aragorn
28-04-03, 10:16 PM
ook i have a mk1 and a mk2 and they are both using red for perm live

i had the dash out the mk1 the other week and i know the exact cable your on about as there is also a feed for the lighting

switched live is current track 15
perm live is track 30
lighting is track 56 iirc

now if u look on the fuse box you'll see a wire plugged into the socket labeled 30 and that goes to the stereo, there is also one connected the socket labeled 56 too

the reason for this was the original wiring loom for the stereo contained no permenant live until mk2 at which point it was added to the radio's loom from the factory

Nova-Boy
29-04-03, 08:20 AM
The only sure way to sort it is using a multi meter to check which wire is live switched live and earth. Then go through the speakers when its all pluged in and work out which is which.

burgo
29-04-03, 06:09 PM
instead of arguin about it the simple answer is get ya self a test light thats the only sure way of findin out and if still in doubt get some1 else to fit it for u

ade
29-04-03, 07:26 PM
why bother getting a test light - the original post asked for the wiring for the stereo - he had no stereo but just the wires.

I supplied - game over

I thank you!

You could always put yer tongue on the end of each...
:D

TaiTers
03-05-03, 12:37 AM
Look Here! (http://www.clubcalibra.com/section/mod-guide/_articles_template.asp?!=40)