PDA

View Full Version : Ignition resistor wire????

Blackie_No1
06-05-10, 09:24 AM
HELP!!!!

I had a problem with my fuel gauge and I bridged the two wires to the sender unit, then the car cut out and wouldn't start again. I have had to pull the dash out to get at the whisps of smoke coming from behind it and I have found a cleared sheathed wire that seems to have melted itself to other wires in the loom.

Is this the ignition resistor wire and if so how or what do I replace it with?

mowgli
06-05-10, 09:33 AM
the clear is from a 1.0.... it should have been replaced with any normal wire of the same sort of size, all the way from the ign switch to the coil

Blackie_No1
06-05-10, 09:43 AM
That's what I was hoping you'd say!! Yea the car was a base model 1.0 to start with.

What can I say Mowgli, your a star!!!!

Blackie_No1
06-05-10, 10:52 AM
Mowgli - HELP lol.

The resistor wire was 0.54mm, the rest of the wire is 0.75mm, I only have 0.65mm wire at home and my nearest motor factors are ****e and don't stock any wire. Do you think the 0.1mm will make that much difference?

Also, could the resistor wire be why my car was hard to start sometimes?

MattBrown
06-05-10, 11:15 AM
What engine is in her now?

My personal choice when doing them, Is to run from the purple wire on the wiper motor, this is a switched 12v supply.

I would Fk the resistor wire off, unless using a 1.0, even then i changed coil to a 12v one.

mowgli
06-05-10, 11:44 AM
Mowgli - HELP lol.

The resistor wire was 0.54mm, the rest of the wire is 0.75mm, I only have 0.65mm wire at home and my nearest motor factors are ****e and don't stock any wire. Do you think the 0.1mm will make that much difference?

Also, could the resistor wire be why my car was hard to start sometimes?

bigger wire.... OK

hard to start.... most likely

Blackie_No1
06-05-10, 11:56 AM
Cheers ears!

Blackie_No1
06-05-10, 11:59 AM
What engine is in her now?

My personal choice when doing them, Is to run from the purple wire on the wiper motor, this is a switched 12v supply.

I would Fk the resistor wire off, unless using a 1.0, even then i changed coil to a 12v one.

It's a X16SZR with a pierburg carb at the moment.

Blackie_No1
06-05-10, 05:09 PM
Car starts much better, runs much better and is not on fire!!!! Whoop whoop!!

mowgli
06-05-10, 05:10 PM
glad to be of service blackie, ps. nova fuel senders are notorious for knackering up, thats usually the fault

Blackie_No1
06-05-10, 08:11 PM
Fuel gauge seems to be working fine now lol

mowgli
06-05-10, 09:07 PM
Fuel gauge seems to be working fine now lol

so, a small fire did the trick, you could be on to something there.......

General Baxter
06-05-10, 09:15 PM
fire rats ahoy

mowgli
06-05-10, 09:21 PM
fire rats ahoy

i thought thats how you fixed things anyway baxter

General Baxter
06-05-10, 09:23 PM
just because i had an epic fire in the cav, and all i had with a tea cup and a tap 15 seconds away, you have to make fun :(

mowgli
06-05-10, 09:25 PM
piss? natures fire extinguisher

Blackie_No1
07-05-10, 09:03 AM
so, a small fire did the trick, you could be on to something there.......

lol it's the new form of diagnostics in cars!!

Since replacing the wire the car goes a lot better!! Now that the coil is getting a full 12v the car pulls so much stronger!!

Dom
07-05-10, 04:03 PM
While were on the subject i have a 1.0 and fuek gauge didnt work on standard clocks or the sr ones i have now. So does this mean if i earth out the sender wires to test the gauge it will melt a wire behind he dash?
Sorry for the hijack just confused:confused:

mowgli
07-05-10, 04:19 PM
While were on the subject i have a 1.0 and fuek gauge didnt work on standard clocks or the sr ones i have now. So does this mean if i earth out the sender wires to test the gauge it will melt a wire behind he dash?
Sorry for the hijack just confused:confused:

this one was definitely a one off

the senders & gauges are both pretty crappy on novas, & most likely more than 20 years old.... it is far safer to use a multi meter and test each item first for resistance, then try the connections...

Blackie_No1
07-05-10, 07:29 PM
Yea defo a one off, the two circuits don't even share the same earth point. It was pure coincidence that I melted that wire. I had the engine running when I did the fuel guage test, I've been driving the car for 6 weeks and god knows how long it was like that before.

As mowgli said, this clear sheathed wire should have been removed and replaced with a proper wire when the 1.0 engine was removed.

I spoke to a good friend who is an Auto Spark and he told me that this wire is to drop the voltage to around 8 or 9 volts as that is what the 1.0 coil would use. The other engines need the full 12-14v that the alternator normally puts out to power the coil.

So basically, my 1.6 was trying to draw 12-14v from a wire only capable of supplying 8-9v hence why it burnt out.

It was melted to various other wires in the loom, though not actually through to make a connection/short.

What engine do you have in your nova?