PDA

View Full Version : tarmac rally

smirty
06-05-10, 12:08 AM
seen a few people on here do tarmac rallying looking to get into it just bought a shell to build a car, need some info on getting into the sport and build spec ect please.

Angus Closier
06-05-10, 12:40 AM
Are you part of your local motor club? If not thats the best place to start! They should be able to point you in the direction you want to go! You might also need your licence to compete and will have to follow strict guidlines on your car...get in touch with your local car club first! And the internet is always a good place to look for rules and regs!

steg1970
06-05-10, 11:11 AM
Deffinatly good advice, there alot of pitfalls in building a rally car from scratch, I don't know your level of experience but it might be better to buy a car already built. This will cost you alot less and get you out on the stages quicker. Unfortunatly a rally car is worth less than the sum of its parts!

Of course when I was given this advice in 1999 I still built my own car, arguing that I then knew exactly what had been done to the car and its history.

Angus Closier
06-05-10, 02:56 PM
The down side to building your own car as said is its more expensive, buying one you might have to change any out of date things (seats, harness etc) Best thing to do is get on the phone and meet people that are doing it allready! They will be able to get you into it! Get down to some local rallys and get talking! Join your local motor club when your there!

Mike
06-05-10, 04:12 PM
First port of call is your local motor club.

smirty
06-05-10, 05:05 PM
cheers chaps had a look about the web and found a few clubs, will pop along too some rallys have a chat and weigh up my options. just quit racing motocross looking to do something a bit safer lol

Steve0011
06-05-10, 06:47 PM
also have a look here

http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/index.php

and

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=646

mk1nova_rich
06-05-10, 08:42 PM
as above, join a motor club, ideally one with strong involvement in rallying as there will be more people to give you advice and info.

Single venue events will be the cheapest to enter, but still very expensive when you cost up the car, transport, fuel, spares, entry fees, competition licence etc.

If it proves too expensive, why not consider road rallying??

dj_wudgey
06-05-10, 11:35 PM
i want to go into rallying aswell but ive got a kid to think about first but if and when i manage to get on the railway ill be thinking off building something for rallying!!

Steve0011
09-05-10, 01:35 AM
it really is not that expensive

my first rally, i just nicked my wifes toyota no mods what so ever and went out and did a road rally. i was hooked :) average road rally entry fee is £80 bargain!

get in touch with your laocal motor club and go from there.

steve