PDA

View Full Version : changing a cv joint

pikey1986
04-05-10, 08:23 PM
im going to attempt this at the weekend on my mk3 astra td, having never done one and not having access to a haynes i just wanted to make sure im going to go about it the right way,

this is what i plan to do

1- remove o/s wheel
2- disconnect everything needed to allow me to pull shaft out
3- cut old boot off and clean all the grease
4- prise out retaining clip
5- slide off old joint and put new boot/joint on
6- pack with grease
7- seal the boot with clips (could jubilee clips be used as i haven't got the special tool)
8- pop shaft back in and reverse stages 2 and 3
9- top up gearbox oil

or should i drop the shaft off at a garage and get them to fit the cv?

AlexW
04-05-10, 08:25 PM
Basically yes, As for the clips, you can use sidecutters

pikey1986
04-05-10, 08:30 PM
never thought of that, i think ive got some somewhere

rep coming your way

Andy
04-05-10, 08:44 PM
The retaing clip is a circlip,dont prise it,it needs opeining outwards with circlip pliers or long nose pliers if you dont have any circlip pliers

pikey1986
04-05-10, 09:14 PM
cheers for that extra info, just had a quick google for circlip pliers and only cost a few quid so ill add them to the growing list of bits and bobs lol

Jeff16v
04-05-10, 09:26 PM
edited for you

1- (remove split pin and crack off the big centre nut (forget size) before removing wheel if you can) - remove o/s wheel
2- bounce on bottom arem ball joint - disconnect everything needed to allow me to pull shaft out
3- cut old boot off and clean all the grease
4- prise out retaining clip - (prepare to get messy and frustrated)
5- slide off old joint and put new boot/joint on - (slide off isn't the word, tap on the back collar with a hammer)
6- pack with grease
7- seal the boot with clips (could jubilee clips be used as i haven't got the special tool) (can use tie wraps)
8- pop shaft back in and reverse stages 2 and 3 (get local garage to tighten properly when you get a chance.
9- top up gearbox oil

AlexW
04-05-10, 10:59 PM
Hub nut/CV nut, whatever you want to call it, is usualy 30mm

Iain
04-05-10, 11:05 PM
I found when removing shafts on my Nova, if you just jack up the side you're working on you don't lose much/any gearbox oil out the shaft hole. Be worth checking it while you're there though I guess. :)

AlexW
04-05-10, 11:07 PM
I done work on a corsa C and had no oil come out, level was perfect though.

craig green
04-05-10, 11:20 PM
Theres some special pliers for CV circlips. I have a pair, no greasy hands!!
Get the air out of the boots & use proper clips IMO.

djshaggeh
04-05-10, 11:39 PM
Hub nut *should* be 30mm if its the same as a nova. I have one sat on my desk infront of me for some strange reason

pikey1986
08-05-10, 03:27 PM
bit pissed off now, got everything stripped off, got the new joint out the sealed bag and guess what, its too big, counted the splines on the shaft 4 times and its 22, then counted the cv and its 25 iirc, so i have to cars and neither drive

just my firking luck lol