PDA

View Full Version : changing temp sensor

ade
27-04-03, 02:08 PM
Hi guys,

just got my 1.4 back and its runnin oin nicely but I've noticed the temp gauge is sitting above 1/2 way.

Aragorn reckons change the temp sensor as it might be old and unreliable.

As far as I know the fan is kicking in and the sensor is working coz the gauge drops slightly after driving for 5 mins or so.

However I dunno where temp sensor is (and cant find my haynes at the moment!)

Can someone explain where sensor is, how much a nw one is and how I fit it.

Engines a 1.4sr mk1 (round crank case top) (but my cars a mk2)
Ta

Ade

locky
27-04-03, 02:12 PM
Look where ur camshaft pulley is Ade, next to it on the block ther should be a blue/white wire, with a male spade connector, it just slides on n off, thats ur temp semsor! (som1 correct me if im wrong! im guessing the 1.4 and 1.2 sensors are in the same place!)

Otherwise i think ther on the back of the block (lookin into bay)
in the centre! should still be the same coloured wire!

ade
27-04-03, 02:25 PM
cheers m8. Any idea how much a new one is?

locky
27-04-03, 02:35 PM
Not sure tbh, m8!

ade
27-04-03, 03:05 PM
right, checked me engine and can see the little blue wire - it seems to be connected to a bolt type sensor on the manifold, just to the right of the cam cover.

Is that it?

Does it just inscrew or does anything need draining???

Ade

Aragorn
27-04-03, 03:19 PM
wait your saying the fan IS kicking in????

the temp will drop about 5-10mins after u start driving when the thermostat opens

the fan really shouldnt be running in this weather

the reason i ask is cos the fan uses its own temp sensor

so if the one in the manifold was faulty and overreading then u'd know that because the fan aint going

owt over half way should really turn on the fan so if yours is past half way and the fan aint running then its either the guage or the temp sender

if the fan IS running you've got a problem cos the engine really is that warm, indicating a problem

as for swapping the sender u should be able to jsut swap it - you'll rpolly lose some fluid but nowt to worry about (that hole can be used as a bleed hole after refilling the system so it must be one of the highest points)

mikeoxford
27-04-03, 05:10 PM
(that hole can be used as a bleed hole after refilling the system so it must be one of the highest points)

it is

unlike the one in the rad thats so low ou loose almst all your coolant :evil:

which reminds me im running jst water and no antifreeze :o bugger

ade
27-04-03, 06:13 PM
cheers guys.

The fan ISNT kicking in - I just know it works (shorted it out and it span!)

Reckon its temp sensor on the manifold as prev engines fitted have all been about the 1/4 mark on gauge.

Just so I know what I'm changing, is this it?

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=746

Ade

Aragorn
27-04-03, 06:35 PM
yep :)

take the one off the old 1400

did u find out which exhaust manifold he was using???

scott5
27-04-03, 10:37 PM
when my guage was above the halfway point without the fan working it was because the thermostat was stuck closed, check to see that the radiator is getting warm just incase thats your problem.
i did the same as you, hotwired the fan to check it so i thought it was the fan switch but then realised that the radiator was stone cold even though the rest of the engine was cooking.

mikeoxford
27-04-03, 10:40 PM
when my guage was above the halfway point without the fan working it was because the thermostat was stuck closed, check to see that the radiator is getting warm just incase thats your problem.
i did the same as you, hotwired the fan to check it so i thought it was the fan switch but then realised that the radiator was stone cold even though the rest of the engine was cooking.

:o

WARNING ADE

dont do something like i would do and whack your hand straight on it! JIC the rad IS getting hot! u dont want an imprint on your hand for months :lol:

do do this.... but be careful ;)

scott5
27-04-03, 10:46 PM
lol! never really thought about that.
wasn't a problem for me thou cos the rad was cold.
try putting your hand close to it first, if you can feel the heat dont touch it, try not to touch the exhaust manifold either cos that will be even hotter!!

Aragorn
27-04-03, 10:48 PM
it would be more sensible to touch the rubberhose that feeds the rad

rubber wont transfer the heat quite as readily as the steel of the rad itself will

scott5
27-04-03, 10:52 PM
i tried that first but the top hose was actually getting warm because its so close to the hot coolant in the engine, the heat managed to transfer to the water in the pipe but didn't reach the rad.

ade
28-04-03, 12:57 AM
cheers guys.

The thermostat - now thats down by the water pump aint it?

According to my now found haynes - high temp cpould be coz the engines still running in...

Like I say, you can see when the thermostat kicks in cos the needle rises to 3/4 then slowly drops down to just over 1/2. usually does this when the rad opens up.

I'll try the temp gauge sensor 1st. I'll also try the heat off the rad.

Ade

Ste_Nova
28-04-03, 09:22 AM
reconned engine....

that will be a new stat then

should rise to 1/2 then drop to 1/4 then rise to 1/2 then drop to 1/4

it will keep doing this till all the water is hot

my 1.4 has a new gsi size rad in it and the stat opens and closes even cruising on the motorway!

Dicko
28-04-03, 09:40 AM
what work you had done ade.

if a load of carbon has been removed they tend to overheat until this has built up (500-1000miles)

Aragorn
28-04-03, 09:41 AM
it aint a recon

it was lying in a blokes garage for yonks then ade baught it

and i cant see that shady ass mechanic u used having fitted a new thermostat :wink:

rgv_stu
28-04-03, 10:54 AM
ade fit a new thermostat

i have never seen a temp sender go faulty on a nova

?7 from vauxhall

also whats that inlet manifold your using looks different to mine any chance of some more pics of it and the carb. looks like a weber from here ;)

Aragorn
28-04-03, 01:07 PM
not sure on the inlet

its a 32/34 tho

its possible that it has a 1300 or 1200 head and 1300 inlet on it since the bloke said it had been tuned

ade does the head have a number stamped on the front at the right hand side???

ade
28-04-03, 05:33 PM
lol.

Weber 32/34 - inlet manifold? dunno but it came with the engine.

It had a 1.6 injection rocker cover initially but that got changed for my nice new shiney one.

Dunno about other mods.

I'll check the engine number later (its raining at the mo and I'm at work till 10pm!)

It had a round crank case top (mk1)

I've purchased a temp sender sensor (?3) and a new fuel filter (just cos the other ones full of sh1te)

How easy is it to change the thermostat? Haynes says youve got to frain the water from the engine etc...

:roll:

rgv_stu
28-04-03, 08:11 PM
hmm
where the adapter plate bolts on it looks different to the 1.2 1.3 and 1.4 i have here

any more pics of it??

if you dont run a cam belt cover like me it takes about 10 minutes to fit a new thermostat

if you got a cover you got to take all that crap off first ;) and will take you longer

seriously change it, they do go faulty

ade
28-04-03, 09:33 PM
my cam belt cover was damaged (screw fixings smashed) on the engine so wasnt replaced - no other damage though. new cambelt

Where bouts is it?

Is it down by the water puimp and do I have to drain the water out 1st?

I'll post some more pics later - took some with my phone but M<MS is down at the moment so cannae post them.

:roll:

Ade

rgv_stu
29-04-03, 09:18 AM
its in the side of the head

the rad pipe goes to a metal piece which goes into the head

its that metal angle that you have to take off to reveal the stat

get a new seal for the stat aswell

i changed coolant at the same time but i reckon you dont have to drain it but you will loose some

Nova-Boy
29-04-03, 09:40 AM
The temp guage is ok running at 1/2. It should warm up quickly if your thermostat works, and then stay about half way. The breaks in the tempratures guage on the dash indicate when the thermostat should be starting to open and fully open. The needle should stay within these area really. Half way isn't a bad temperature.

To change your thermostat you will need to drain the water. You can do this by taking off the bottom hose on the radiator. While its all out might aswell flush it out without your thermostat in. And yeah it is down by the water pump in the head where stu said, take the cam belt cover thing off as well to get to it.

Aragorn
29-04-03, 10:51 AM
just look on the front of the head and u should see the number im on about

u can get the engine code too if u want and that will give us a better idea of what uve got there