PDA

View Full Version : XE/Red Top problems

Dod
02-05-10, 11:59 PM
Just a bit of homework before I start actual work on the engine.

I got a Dispac XE here in car, it starts, idles very poorly, wont rev right and wont pass 3k, it sounds like its missing. Obviously, its pointing towards engine trouble as opposed to sensor or electrics failure. Theres no mess in the Expansion tank or under the oil cap, No EML light at the beginning but it does appear shortly afterwards.

Is there anything that might cause this other than engine failure?

blue_peg_16v
03-05-10, 12:21 AM
flash the ecu mate if it aint going past 3k could be in limp home mode so could be a sensor

Nova_Tek
03-05-10, 12:23 AM
Dunno about XE's but on the XEV when the cam sensor comes up faulty and in limp mode, it'll limit revs to around 4k. So could be that mate.

Dod
03-05-10, 09:51 AM
Cool, gonna try a set of plugs to try and take the miss out of it then I'm gonna go with the fault codes. JUst thought it may be something obvious.

Cheers lads.

let_nova
03-05-10, 09:54 AM
flash the codes, unplug the ecu for a while this will ereas the fault codes, although they may appear again.

djbrowney
03-05-10, 10:13 AM
take your leads of and look in the end of the coilpack, the tips are probaly rusty and it will need replacing. ive had this a few times now !

Dod
03-05-10, 05:47 PM
Nice one lads, I hope its nothing serious, the car is pretty clean and it'd nice to just turn it back into cash.

John
03-05-10, 06:08 PM
Unplug the afm and see how it runs then, if better it's athe afm.

craig green
03-05-10, 06:23 PM
Have you flashed the codes yet? If the light has come on, its logged a fault.

It wants to tell you.............

Dod
03-05-10, 09:12 PM
I haven't looked at it yet. lol

I've been stripping cars all day to get them ready to be weighed in.

I'll be at it tomorrow though, I'll keep you all posted on the progress or complete lack of. lol

Graeme
03-05-10, 09:20 PM
Is the timing correct?

Dod
03-05-10, 10:31 PM
That may possibly be the problem. It had crossed my mind as it runs like a bag of piss. It'll just about idle occationally and refuses to rev higher than 2.5-3k. Again, no mixing or manky water so its the one I'd go for.

Graeme
03-05-10, 10:34 PM
A lot of people reply on the aux pulley but I'd only ever use the crank pulley