PDA

View Full Version : C20xe, Difference Between Early And Late

Cormac
02-05-10, 10:21 PM
My XE has come out of a mk2 astra so i think its early. I'm not quote sure what the differences from the early and late models are, The late has an extra idler pully maybe?

I'm looking to order a timing belt kit for mine tomorrow and need to know which one mine is>?

Thanks

yayoboy
02-05-10, 10:36 PM
more than likely early but bear in mind the engine could have come from a later one and been dropped in the mk2. early ones have round teeth pulleys and belts later ones are square, the heads are normally coscast on early ones and they are usually on a dizzy ignition where as later ones are coilpacked. some early ones have 13mm valve guides as aposed to 11mm, and like you say there are only two tensioners, one being the adjuster. early ones tend to be lambda'less' too, thinks thats about it.....

edit: as for cambelts, there are only two types, the round tooth and the square tooth, if you only have one lower tensioner, its early round tooth

Cormac
02-05-10, 11:39 PM
Thank you very much for that helpfull info buddy!!!

I'll have a look at the timing set up and see how many rollers i have!!

Cormac
04-05-10, 06:42 PM
Took a few pics

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5908/picture123044.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5417/picture123045.jpg

I asume this is an early XE??

Cheers

General Baxter
04-05-10, 06:43 PM
yep thats an early,

Cormac
09-05-10, 12:26 PM
Thanks!!

craig green
09-05-10, 12:47 PM
the heads are normally coscast on early ones and they are usually on a dizzy ignition where as later ones are coilpacked.

early ones arent usually coscast atall. Agree the coscasts were mostly used on very early (were talking E & F reg GTE's here) but KS heads still feature heavily on these. The Coscasts were used as warranty replacements for porous heads also, so will appear on anything upto a late C20LET.

Early 20XE's had no Lambda then had Lambda. Then became C20XE with a cat & 3bar FP w/blue injectors, inlet air temp sensor, coilpack etc