PDA

View Full Version : Lil help guys!

Knight
27-04-03, 02:13 AM
Hey, kinda new here so a lil advice would be great.
Just got myself a Nova 1.2 merit, lowered, kit, wheels etc... but its had a smash (previous to me havin it) on passenger side panel just before rear wheel arch. Pretty big dent as it stretches to door lol

Any ideas on how much a new panel fitting will cost? arch structure seems ok though.

Also ne ideas on how much central locking would cost me to get fitted??

ne1 know of where i can get a good priced alarm these days? not much cash to p*ss about with im a student :(

jatinder
27-04-03, 10:04 AM
mine cost almost ?900 that inculded a new door, the pics are here if you wanna look

http://uk.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jatinderseehra/lst?&.dir=/My+Documents&.src=bc&.view=t&.begin=1&.order=&.done=http%3a//uk.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jatinderseehra/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bDocuments%26.src=bc%26.view=t

novax
27-04-03, 11:05 AM
Why not try either "Dentmaster" or one of these smart repair companies, will it need repainting?

ade
27-04-03, 02:17 PM
how are you at diy body work?

If its just the reaqr panel (by the arch) thats dented, you may be able to pull it out

Is the paint damaged?

If not and its not on any arch lines, try using a suction cup and pull. My passenger door got badly dented in a car park a few years back, I used a suction cup and it popped right out! Only a slight skuff was the obly visible sign.

If its more serious (a pic would help) you could remove the rear 1.4 panel and try knocking it out. basic panel work just need a hammer and a flat piece of wood to gently knock the panel back out (against the wood). this will give you basic shape. Then you may need to sprip back paint, fill the minor dents and then respray the rear panel.

If yer know a but about diy spraying you could do it with cans. I;ve done it before - and you cant tell. Certainly didnt cost me ?900!

Just a thought - is the rear wheel ok - not buckled, doesnt pull or uneven tyre wear?

Wot caused the dent?

Central lockling kits - speak to Colin Smith (www.novarally.co.uk) - he usually has a set. Prob cost about ?30+. If yer after full remote central locking, you will need a solenoid for drivers door (only a switch) - maplins can help you there.

As for alarm - basic kit will set you back about ?90. You can get kits that also have central locking bits built in. See halfords, maplins and other car auto shop.

Hope this helps.

Ade

Ste_Nova
27-04-03, 02:44 PM
welding on 1/4s.... great fun :lol:

http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/l/left-rear.jpg

jatinder
27-04-03, 03:47 PM
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/6271c6f6/bc/My+Documents/Accident+2.jpg?bccC_q.AJbpcjXED

The only reason I spent ?900 on repairing that was

1. I couldnt be bothered
2. It was cold
3. Didnt have the time had exams
4. couldnt be arsed

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/6271c6f6/bc/My+Documents/First+Nova+crash.jpg?bcrL_q.AOCmhbLXC

This is a pic of my first nova i found after i had it for 5 hours and mate drove it in to a lampost luckly a tree stopped it :o Nobody could of fixed that :D

ade
27-04-03, 06:34 PM
pics aint working...

jatinder
27-04-03, 07:00 PM
There working for me???

Ben (lurk75)
27-04-03, 08:48 PM
i have a central locking set ?25 and its yours!

Knight
29-04-03, 10:48 PM
cheers ade yeah it did,

hmm well its my first car and ive never even touched a car myself before so even i know what to do in theory id rather not feck my new car up :(

The dent was caused by the girl who had it before me, she got mashed by some old granny who ran a red light doh!
The dent is quite a beasty one, paintwork is generally ok but would definately need a spray. I have no idea how to take the card off on the inside too cos i was gunna try bashin it out from the other side.

As for the wheel arch it seems relatively ok, wheel is fine but the arch rubs a lot with someone in the back as the underlip of the arch has come down. But as i have to jacks i cant take the wheel off to get to it.
pics comin soon.

Anyone of you live anywhere close to me? Id pay lol
live in Reading , hants

As for yer central lockin kit, yeah id be interested but not straight away as i got insurance to pay ?1300 :(

burgo
29-04-03, 10:58 PM
the card just pops off be carful not to f**k the clip thingys tho and ya gettin shafted on ya insurance wen i was gettin quotes for a 1.2 they were around ?1100 and dents in the rear quarter i find pushin it out wiv ya foot works best

Knight
29-04-03, 11:15 PM
Just pops off?
So i just grab it anywhere i can get a grip and give it some welly and itll come off ok without snapping?

Also Jatinder, your dent looks like a scratch compared to mine, mine is quite big but the serious bit is about 12inch by 12inch and maybe 2inch deep lol did say it was a beasty one. I dont aim to get it back out myself just make it a lil better so the repair bill wont be so bad. But I do think im gunna need a new panel.

burgo
29-04-03, 11:19 PM
yeah the only thing if u wanna take it completely off u have to under the seat belt from the bottom and top and then feed it back threw the hole

Knight
30-04-03, 12:39 AM
Finally got a pic of my car, not showin the dent but still its my car weyhey!
To be honest much of the work isnt mine, was done by a previous owner but i got many plans includin silver tints, blue respray, some TSW 16's and some new brakes as theyre fecked atm. (Also get a lil dent out too :p)

Hope this works:
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=758

ade
30-04-03, 12:43 AM
rear 1/4 panel just clips off - its help in place by puish clips. You can see some of them on the side by the front seat belt tensioner.

Small flat headed screw driver and work em free

Then take hold of a corner and pull - not too hard.

The panels held in with about 5 push clips that screw into the back on it.

Its also held inplace by double sided glue tape on the door edge. To remove completrely just pull the door rubber surround away by the lock and peel the sticky back.

Refitting is reverse (as haynes says)

Once removed, you can see the indide of the outer car skin. theory is, you can push this back out. I;d refrain from kicking it but if the panel is just bent in (no sharp kinks or tears) just push iot back out. It "should" just pop out.

This will reduce the pressure on the surrounding areas.

As for the wheel arch, you really need to get that treated asap as the pressure on the lip being forced down may weaken or break the welds thast hold the inner and outer skins together. this may let water in and create more rust. Also if the lip has moved down to catch on tyre its possible that the inner arch wall is also bent down - you'll see if it is from the arch from the inside of the panel.

Pics would be good.

Ade

Knight
30-04-03, 12:54 AM
yeah il try and get the pics, there are sharp bits on the dent btw its not just bent its cracked a bit. Ill give it a gentle try and see but yeah ill try and get some piccies soon.

Did that pic work btw cos i can see it? if not never mind il try 2moro. off to bed now though exams 2moro ahh

burgo
30-04-03, 05:58 PM
yeah ya pic worked tasty motor ya got there

Knight
30-04-03, 11:56 PM
ya shame i cant drive it yet, still havent taken my test yet lol :o
even though ive been driving off road for years tehe should get license end of may hopefully. :multi:

btw tried that inner door card job, seems like i broke the door card bit that holds the push clip as the clips still in the door is that right? but the bit that holds the clip on the card is cracked all around. have another go maybe when its light.

My sister just trod on my sub too :( so now thats another thing to spend money on.