PDA

View Full Version : spraying over powder coating

brucer
02-05-10, 06:50 PM
hi all, what down sides(if any) are there in spraying suspension components over having them powder coated?

im going to need all my suspension components such as rear beam, front knuckles,tie bars,lower arms etc painted, i can potentially see it being cheaper for me to buy paint (not rattle can) and spray them myself.

but, will it chip off easier and not last as long? i presumed it would be fairly similar as powder coating, as is in the name, is just the powder being baked on. ill have them sand blasted before id paint them. so....

any info will be much helpful.:d

thanks

bruce

w88rdy
02-05-10, 07:11 PM
I think powdercoating is thicker therefore gives better protection against chips etc but i have sprayed all my components using smooth hammerite and have had no probs so far

brucer
02-05-10, 07:44 PM
i painted mine a few years ago with brush on hammerite,its still on there now. But id like to have it done a bit better this time round

Novasport
02-05-10, 07:45 PM
Powder coating looks good but can chip quite easily and once any moisture creeps under it will rust and the whole lot will peel off. Resin type paint would be better like POR or stuff from Rustbuster. Its harder wearing and it will not allow moisture to creep under it.

novacabrio
02-05-10, 08:11 PM
Not true on the chipping Rich, powder coating is very string and can take a lot of abuse. How ever, if you do get a mark on it then the coating can flake easier than paint can.

Powder coating gives a better finish and isnt that expensive

brucer
02-05-10, 09:06 PM
ive just emailed a couple local companies to me for prices on having them just sandblasted and sandblasted/powder coated. items are as follows..

rear beam
2x lower arms
2x knuckles
2xtie bars
2x calipers
2x drums
2x drum backplates

depending on the price difference will depend how i have them coated. i can get all the paint,thinners,primer,laquer etc for around 100pound. ill have enough to paint my cage and rear strut brace aswell which will save me money on having to buy the paint for the cage and brace.

Iain
02-05-10, 09:08 PM
Let us know what the quotes are as I'm looking to have a similar amount of stuff done too. I've used etch primer and normal paint, and also Hammerite smooth black, in the past and they both rusted through quite quickly.

novacabrio
02-05-10, 09:12 PM
That should only cost about 150 id say

Novasport
02-05-10, 09:46 PM
How much! I got twice as much stuff than that done and he only charged me £90 although I gave him a ton.

novacabrio
02-05-10, 09:49 PM
I dont even remember what I paid for Pauls, but I did have several colours used which put the price up

mowgli
02-05-10, 10:27 PM
do not get the drums powder coated, well, not if you are planning to drive it anyway... hot powder coat smells even worse than burning paint

brucer
03-05-10, 03:34 PM
do not get the drums powder coated, well, not if you are planning to drive it anyway... hot powder coat smells even worse than burning paint

what about calipers?

got one quote back in an email, shot blasting alone 73pound and to have it shot blasted and powder coated was 158pound.

think this will be the way to go over spraying them, will see how much it will cost to have my cage and strut brace done too.

mowgli
03-05-10, 03:36 PM
what about calipers?

got one quote back in an email, shot blasting alone 63pound and to have it shot blasted and powder coated was 148pound.

think this will be the way to go over spraying them, will see how much it will cost to have my cage and strut brace done too.

again, powder coating calipers is a fools errand.... get some good high temperature paint

brucer
03-05-10, 03:41 PM
okie doke. :)