PDA

View Full Version : interior bulbs?

adam2472
26-04-03, 08:11 PM
has nebody changed the color of the interior bulbs.. ie the ones behind the heater & temp controls.. will the color be visible and are there a specific name for that type of bulb.. ive looked on maplin website but cant see the ones..

mikeoxford
27-04-03, 12:59 AM
dont *THINK* u can get coloured bulbs

i wudnt think they be very bright anyway

people use ultra bright LEDs

get yourself over to migweb.co.uk as a guy on there in the parts for sale sells kits.

all you need is a simple resistor and an LED, explain to them at maplins, theyll see you right

adam2472
30-04-03, 11:03 PM
rite i been lookin round maplin website and unltrabright LED's sounding like a gud idea. i need ne help i can get as nerest maplin is bout 1 n' half hours drive away and i aint got much clue bout eletrics.. i recon that the interior lights are runin at 5V.. what me m8 said neways.. and im guessin that connecting the LED is the same as standard light.. (i know itll only work one way aswell...)

the ones which im looking at have these spec;

Order Code N72AJ: Mega Green
Forward voltage max. I F =20mA:2.5V
Reverse current V R =5V:

this dunt make that much sense to me :roll: but if i cud get away with using the existing bulb holders which are already in the dash that would be a bonus..

if someone cud help and draw a simple wiring diagram wud be ideal!

hope some1 replys to this lol has taken me an age to rite..

adam

adam2472
30-04-03, 11:27 PM
opppsss.. i ment the bulb holder connectors not the actual bulb holders.. :oops:

mmollart
01-05-03, 04:50 PM
rite here we go...
to save loads of hassle :D i went to vauxhall & got some replacement bulbs for the clocks, about a quid each & they run at 12v 2w, then i got hold of some bulb tint paint in blue from ripspeed then used a fine art brush & just put a light coat on each bulb, put em back in & they looked pretty good. i did the same for all the lights on the dash, rear wiper,heater controls, fog lamp & the one in the clock. alot easier than arsin about with led's

adam2472
02-05-03, 01:10 AM
that was 1 of my first ideas but i thought that the light given of by the bulbs aint all that gud and that painting them wud make the light even weaker..

is the change in color very noticable..?? im looking to go for glowing green effect..

have ya got ne pics ya cud send??? :lol:

adam

mmollart
02-05-03, 03:38 PM
the first atempt was pants! if you put too much paint on then they are weak, white dials helps alot too. the second lot i did were green on silver dials, looked pretty good. i will send you a pic some time over the weekend when i get chance

heyiwanafly
12-05-03, 01:33 PM
I went into my nearesyt halfords, looks at the book for bulb type, think its the 256?!? But check it out, my halford did a 256G,ther bout 1quid 50p, (sorry, cnt find the pound sign!), Anyways, i put these bulbs in the : Clock, Rear heated window, Heater controls, and fog and rear wiper switches. The efffect is good, ther 1.2 watts, so the switches (eg fog n wiper) are twice as brite, and the rest of dash glows green, looks great, had it for a week now. No hasle atal, did it in the carpark takes 2mins. Wana do same to dash lites, (eg speedo), but am struglin to get the panel out... :evil:

adam2472
12-05-03, 01:50 PM
Yer i ad the same probelm when doin me custom dials.. in the end i put them in with the speedo and everything all attatched... i went to me local scrapie to experiment on gettin it all out afta :P and all ya need to do is just unclip the black connector with the wires from the front and the try n get ur hand in the back undo the speedo cable from the speedo.. its preety hard and i duno how easy it is to put back in.. thats on a MK2 dash neways...

do u know what kinda bulbs are used in the lighting of the speedo??

adam

heyiwanafly
12-05-03, 11:02 PM
Not sure, im presuming its the same as clock etc bulbs, cnt imagine ther r other types in ther. As ther the same britenes. Thats y i was guna replace those bulbs at the same time i did the 5 other green bulbs.. cos now me dash is bright green.. buttons etc and the speedo is still that dodgy yellow dim colour..I wana get the speedo etc out by pullin that cable off but as u sed, if u cant get it back on without removing the whole dash then its not worth it...itd take forever to get back on!Ill keep trying.. but now am jus considerin getting plastic cover over dash coloured green tint to help it blend in wiv the other brite green lites..One thing ive just this minute done is to change the clock face fom black to white, that looks prety cool now, the whole clock glows brter and looks much better.. now just ned custom dials! :evil: :twisted:

adam2472
12-05-03, 11:30 PM
The bulbs behind ur speedo are different.. there bigger and a screw type i think.. there deffintaly bigger neways casue when i was up scrapie ripping one of the dashes apart i pocketed a load :P

but like u said . puttin some kinda film over it may work.. only down side is that the light maybe even dimmer :(

im sure there must be a kinda easy way of disconecting and reconecting the speedo cable though..

ne ideas ne1?..